ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 02-10-11, 08:24 PM

branjie will become famous soon enough
Does your child like to squeeze, pinch or poke people?

Hi,
I was reading a book about ADHD the other day, and saw that a symptom is wanting to squeeze, pinch or poke people. It really rang a bell for me, as my son who has ADHD does that. Just wondering if it's common for other kids with ADHD to do it, as I've never known of another child doing this. I think it's some way of seeking out sensory stimuli, like using another person as one of those stress balls you squeeze. It can be pretty annoying if you sit on the couch next to him, next thing the skin at the back of your arm gets squeezed. He even does it to his best friend at school!
Old 02-10-11, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to behold
Re: Does your child like to squeeze, pinch or poke people?

Joey loves "squeezy hugs." He likes being squeezed so hard he can barely breathe and can reciprocate just as well. In fact, this is one of the things he asks for if he's over-stimulated. I always oblige, though you have to be careful you don't hurt little guys like him. There are also these awesome things called weight vests that produce that effect in a milder form if a child has problems self-soothing. It's used mostly for children with Autism, though I've heard of children with ADHD using them. I made a homemade one for Joey but botched it a bit so it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Or maybe it's that he needs human contact from a calm soul? Who knows?

Anyway, you're not alone in this. It's common behavior.
Old 02-10-11, 08:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to all

well i like to poke my friends especially in the tickly spots lol. i dont know why i do this but its weird. lol

i usually sit on my hands or occupy myslef with something else, but sometimes, the chances are too good to pass up. its funny cause it makes my friends jump. but we all do it to eachother and its become our thing, so its all good.

anyways, im sorry that i cant help you with any strategies but i believe that that is an issue of both impulsivity and hyperactivity and that you should ttalk to your son about it. he might not know oor remember that its wrong (depending on whether or not you told him and how old he is.).

this is all the advice i can offer. sorry

Hope this helps!

"If you're not fighting gravity, you're falling." -me

"I'm not lost, I know exactly where I'm not."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-11, 08:42 PM

It makes me feel better to know that others do it. lately my son has been into poking people, and I was getting really frustrated with him, thinking he was doing it to be naughty. He's seven, and denies having trouble controlling his impulses, but he definitely does. It upsets me the most when he starts doing things like that to his baby sister. I can understand babies are pretty irrisistable, but I've got to stress to him that she doesn't like it! Some of his behaviours seem so odd that I get a bit of a panic inside thinking he's the only one who does this. I feel so much better if I know others do it.
Old 02-10-11, 08:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

I don't have a kid, but I can tell you that when I was one, indeed, I did love poking prodding, and pinching anything non-human and human. For humans, extra skin (especially elbows, neck, back of arms), ears, veins, fat, moles, hair, stubble, muscle and skeletal contours, etc.

Do you notice if he does the same to himself as others?

Btw, my behavior wasn't curbed when someone mean spiritedly retaliated. If I hurt someone during acts driven by curiosity an explanation of how it felt as well as them kindly demonstrating the same on me was effective. Often I had no idea why I did something, so asking why I did it led to frustration and bad situations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
branjie (02-10-11), MGDAD (02-17-11), namazu (02-13-11), RedHairedWitch (02-10-11)
Old 02-10-11, 08:54 PM

Thank you. I'm relieved you did that too (althought I'd never wish it upon you of course). Sounds like you've grown out of it?? My son does also do it to himself. It's funny how the best solution is the simplest one, explaining/showing others don't actually like it. My son also has no idea why he does impulsive things, at this stage, I don't think it bothers him at all. He doesn't even mind if his behaviour seems weird or rude to others, I hope that changes as he gets older.
Old 02-10-11, 09:35 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

eggyolkes has a spectacular aura abouteggyolkes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergirl96 View Post
well i like to poke my friends especially in the tickly spots lol. i dont know why i do this but its weird. lol

i usually sit on my hands or occupy myslef with something else, but sometimes, the chances are too good to pass up. its funny cause it makes my friends jump. but we all do it to eachother and its become our thing, so its all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ View Post
I don't have a kid, but I can tell you that when I was one, indeed, I did love poking prodding, and pinching anything non-human and human. For humans, extra skin (especially elbows, neck, back of arms), ears, veins, fat, moles, hair, stubble, muscle and skeletal contours, etc.

Do you notice if he does the same to himself as others?

This TOTALLY describes me. Haha, I tend to fidget a lot, and feel the need to poke people... haha not that people really enjoy me poking them, but ehh what can you do? Haha.

But I was a lot worse when I was younger.

But sorry, I do not have any advice to give...
The Following User Says Thank You to eggyolkes For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (02-10-11)
Old 02-10-11, 09:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to all

oh, and also, my mom said that i would constantly play with her har, walk my fingers up her arms and back dn face, play with her eyelids while she was asleep and stick my hands in her mouth when she was asleep while laughing my head off the entire time like it was the funniest thing in the world.

i dont remember any of this, but since she said it in her "suffering" voice as i like to call it, i have to believ its true.

"If you're not fighting gravity, you're falling." -me

"I'm not lost, I know exactly where I'm not."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypergirl96 For This Useful Post:
eggyolkes (02-10-11), undermythumb (02-13-11)
Old 02-10-11, 10:24 PM

Thanked 8,297 Times in 2,787 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I want to touch everything. I am a monster in museums and art galleries and stores.

I don't poke and prod people like I did when I was a kid, but I still want to. I especially liked playing with hair.

I always make perfectly clear to potential partners that they had better like a woman who can't keep her hands to herself. Expect your butt to be grabbed, hair stroked, back stroked, shoulders squeezed etc
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Old 02-11-11, 05:52 AM

lynnd1972 is on a distinguished road

hi my son has adhd, he loves to squeeze people and sometimes he slaps but does'nt mean it.
Old 02-11-11, 07:53 AM

kit-kat is on a distinguished road

Makes since to me. DS is definitely a squeezer.
Old 02-13-11, 02:49 AM

MountainMom is on a distinguished road

My YDS has been a pincher, squeezer and rubber since he was a baby. My arm used to get sore from him rubbing and squeezing it to calm himself.

He is 5 now and still does this. He will hug people who don't want to be hugged. He touches me constantly if I sit next to him on the couch. I don't mind the cuddling and or arm rubbing but I sure could do without the pinching, hehe!
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainMom For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (02-13-11)
Old 02-13-11, 09:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

Yeah, when I was younger I would hug people by squeezing them really hard, my mom would always make sure I didn't do it too often to her because I could end up squeezing too hard. I eventually grew out of that habit of squeezing people to death. lol.

Then during my late middle school/early high school years I went through a phase of flicking. I don't do that anymore either.

Hope I could help some!

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pamplemousse For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (02-13-11)
Old 02-13-11, 10:36 AM

MountainMom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
Then during my late middle school/early high school years I went through a phase of flicking. I don't do that anymore either.
LOL! I used to flick people too! I don't know why but it was just fascinating. I did it right up until I flicked some guy and it made him mad and he flicked the cartilage on my ear really hard and bruised it
I guess that taught me a lesson about personal space.
Old 02-13-11, 11:13 AM

Thanked 20,051 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

My child never poked or pinched more than anyone else did, and that's to say on a rare occaision but he always loved big hugs and having his hair stroked.

He still does like the hugs!