ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-13, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

atSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud ofatSWIMtooboreds has much to be proud of
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Told one of my bosses about it today. I knew she was going to be supportive, so it was good to get it out. That's still only about ten people who know, I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to atSWIMtooboreds For This Useful Post:
Bazinga (04-18-13)
Old 04-18-13, 12:41 PM
Contributor

Bazinga has a spectacular aura aboutBazinga has a spectacular aura about

I'm unashamed of my condition and open with how it affects me, but only with those who really need to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bazinga For This Useful Post:
atSWIMtooboreds (04-18-13)
Old 05-04-13, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

I've decided to not hide it, but I can't imagine the topic spontaneously coming up. I would tell people with whom I naturally share this kind of information. For someone w a condition known to cause problems w relationships, I have a lot of friends.

I will tell my Dean, because it was issues with organization and getting grading done that led me to counseling in the first place. He needs to know that finally the issue has been addressed. I would like to tell the head of the school's counseling services, because she is the one who directed me to the counselor who diagnosed me -- NOT one of the school counselors, btw.

I want to do some research and writing, so I am telling a circle of friends to promise to ask me frequently about how it is going, to help me stay on track.

I have a close friend here with whom I often share meals. Working in the kitchen with her brought forth the usual "wouldn't it be better to do that this other way?" adjustments to my obviously inefficient working processes -- I am pretty low on executive function, she is exceptionally good at it. Once I became aware of how this stuff, over time, had effected me, I tried to explain it all to her. Pretty funny, my trying to explain something I have so little of that I can't really understand, to someone who has so much of it that she can't really see it. She could see that it was deeply affecting me, however, and she has done a good job of adjusting to it. We either work on separate sides of the kitchen, or she will ask if I want a suggestion before giving one.

I have another friend who is really good at all that stuff, but she has a mild form of cerebral palsy that appears as simple clumsiness to other people -- who often try to help her do things better, too. We now joke that between us, we make one pretty effective person -- she has the cognitive executive functions, and I have the physical ones.

I think people need to be more aware of adult diagnosis of ADD/ADHD. Even senior ones, like mine, and I'm only the third oldest person my doctor has diagnosed.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-13, 12:46 PM
Contributor

TagEHeuer is a jewel in the roughTagEHeuer is a jewel in the roughTagEHeuer is a jewel in the rough

I will tell people if it comes up in conversation, don't be ashamed..
Gilthranon (05-16-13)
Old 05-07-13, 10:44 PM
Jr Member

FerretLover is on a distinguished road

I tell people because having ADD is part of who I am.
CA Native for 61 years
The Following User Says Thank You to FerretLover For This Useful Post:
ADD me (05-16-13)
Old 05-14-13, 05:03 PM

slipstrm is on a distinguished road

The news of having ADD does not shock the people you are already close to. When I was initially diagnosed I told my parents, wife and close friends. Most of them already expected I had some form of ADD. I dont go out of my way telling anyone new but I will make joking comments about having an 'ADD Moment' when I catch myself or someone else catches me doing something silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to slipstrm For This Useful Post:
ADD me (06-18-13)
Old 05-14-13, 08:12 PM

SeraLing is on a distinguished road

I don't. Barely anyone even knows what ADD is and it's so bothersome to explain. To them it'll probably sound more like justifying excuses for my failures in life. One of the reasons why I feel so alone.
Old 05-16-13, 03:53 AM
Contributor

Parterxred will become famous soon enough

I only reveal it if I have to sincerely apologize for something. After years of bad behavior I finally don't have to apologize very often.
Old 05-16-13, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

Like TagEheuer, if it comes up, I often tell I've got two disorders, but quickly explain 'my' definition of the term disorder. And I often use it in a reinforcing way, helping me in an argument, it serves as argument in the conversation.
Old 05-16-13, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,054 Times in 13,509 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

well I've tried, but I don't think I explained it very well.
plus at that moment you feel like you're telling them something SO important and they don't understand everything that it implies, and how much it affects your life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
ADD me (05-16-13), Gilthranon (05-16-13), ZombieCake (05-16-13)
Old 05-16-13, 05:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
well I've tried, but I don't think I explained it very well.
plus at that moment you feel like you're telling them something SO important and they don't understand everything that it implies, and how much it affects your life.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I made a trip of 800 miles one way to tell someone my recent diagnosis, and how much (I now realize) her neat and quiet house meant to me when I was a child, and it didn't seem to sink in at all. Especially when she referred to a couple people she knew on disability for "mental diseases" as "finding an excuse not to work."

(I thought, do you just realize I just told you I had a psych diagnosis that has had a significant impact on my life? Apparently not.)

Oh, well. I made the trip as MY pilgrimage, and that was enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADD me For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (05-16-13), stef (05-18-13)
Old 05-16-13, 06:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,469 Times in 924 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

nah

not telling anyone what i'm 'diagnosed with' and 'treatment' unless I'm in a forum like this or being treated by a physician who needs to know ....it's proven time and again to be completely undermining to one's best interests, both in business and socially...IMO.

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-16-13, 06:43 PM

anagram has disabled reputation

People don't need labels to know I'm crazy. If anyone who knows me at all reacts badly to being "informed" that I have something like ADHD, as if they "didn't see it coming", then I can only think they are too narrow-mindedly ignorant, and I don't tolerate those types of people very well. It may be a big deal for myself, but it's not supposed to be a big deal at all to anyone else.

there are four lights
Old 05-17-13, 05:37 PM

RunningNowhere is on a distinguished road

If someone tells me they do, I'll open up about it. Other than that I will never tell anyone. There are too many uninformed/ignorant people that will say "I guess everyone has ADD" or "ADD doesn't exist". The fact that there is a large amount of people like this is enough to make it not worth telling them in the first place, even though there are people that are understanding, it's not worth the chance. My closest friends know I have ADD but they respect me enough to not make jokes about it or just tell other people. I hate my condition not being taken seriously and most people aren't informed enough/open minded enough so it's not worth disclosing as it will do more harm than good in the end. Only my immediate family knows and my close friends and I intend to keep it that way for the above reasons.
Old 05-18-13, 09:56 AM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I would love to be open about it, if only I knew for sure, because I often run into kids with ADHD in my line of work.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?