ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-09, 08:43 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
Awesome. Do you have a cape? We should get capes.
we can do that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Impromptu_DTour For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-06-09)
Old 07-05-09, 08:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

mm i dunno.. i mean.. i would love to just wear a sign on my forhead.. or hand out wavers for people to sign..

"any interactions that you may or may not have with this person should be understood that .. blah blah.. are not responsable.. should not be held resp- pleas dont hold me responsable?

sign here

X_

here

X_

and here

X_

and here

X_"

aaaaanndddd. talk...

LOL

I love that i am the way that i am.. and i see the sparkle of interest in peoples eyes around me.. as if they're looking at me as i am some kind of reminiscent memory of how they remembered being as a child.. being drawn to things.. getting excited.. about coloring!! **** YA!!!

+_-

and aside from the more aggressive challanges.. its a perfect life.. subjectively..

but i told my boss i was ADHD.. and even AFTER 2 years of working in that studio.. seeing how detail OCD oriented i was.. after walking into my studio office day in and day out seeing that it was a complETE disaster zone.. DAT tapes and paperwork everywhere.. equipment unplugged and sitting around (though lined up in a perfectly aligned pillar of.. technology )..

even after he one day said "Whatever.. *shrug* its a mess.. but he gets the job done.. in his own way.. and it is. done. so whatever"

Then one day i told him i was ADHD.. now he doesnt trust me for anything.. all my facinating credibility.. my charotic intrisic desigs for success.. all of that magic.. but more importantly.. being valued as "compitant", "reliable", "responsable". "Trustworthy". its all gone now. I havnt changed. nothing has changed.. but now that he can identify my uniqueness as ADHD.. its "Just a matter of time until Dtour f***s up.."

So.. i dunno.. thats why i dont tell people that im ADHD.. i want a cape. and a sidekick.. possibly an OCD sidekick.. *nods*.. thats a good id.. "walks off discussing to himself*.... clean up after me... remind me of where my..

where are my keys?

I_DTour
doiadhd (07-06-09)
Old 07-07-09, 10:36 AM

apratt79 is on a distinguished road

The company i work for does random drug testing. I have yet to take one, but if I am called upon to take one and when my meds do show up. I'm curious how they will approach me with trying to find out what I'm on and why. I don't look forward to having to explain it to my manager.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 05:01 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apratt79 View Post
The company i work for does random drug testing. I have yet to take one, but if I am called upon to take one and when my meds do show up. I'm curious how they will approach me with trying to find out what I'm on and why. I don't look forward to having to explain it to my manager.
Y'know what.. legally its none of their business what your prescribed.. they have no right to ask and certainly no right to assume any attenuation in your credibility because of..

Legally.. they cant do anything as it would insight discrimination, especially with HIPPA being so closely followed. If you dont surrender any damaging information, they cant damage you for it.

Take the test.. be honest on the paperwork on what you are taking (you dont want to just take a test saying you're on nothing.. and then have amphetamines show up.. thats hard on the credibility its not necissary to tell anyone why you are taking it, except that you are perscribed it, (If anything.. if it comes up (as to the question "why you are on *this* medication in your report.., tell the attending Medical Examiner.. and no one else.. "Supposidly" they are suppose to treat all of your medical information as if it could get them and their families buried somewhere in the deserte if they ever betrayed that confidentiality). show them an rX or a Dr note if it comes up in a meeting with HR.. shrug it off and say "I have a prescription.. and i would prefer to maintian my privacy in this matter." If they acted on it, they would be staring down the barrel of a lawsuit, they know this..

I wouldnt tell them about your ADHD.. heck if its Adderall youre on.. or Dex.. i would just as sooner tell them you have Narcilepsy than ADHD.. LOL, although im speaking from a position of having told employers i have ADHD.. and being well, discriminated for it. And now i dont trust telling people i have it.. I have had much more comfortable success in keeping Medical separate from Professional, and being aware of my rights as a *laugh* "Medicated Employee"

Thats one perspective i suppose.. and i guess it all comes down to: How well do you trust telling people in a position of power, that you have a "learning deficit disorder" and "might find challanges paying attention".. of all the beautifully interwoven hues that ADHD gives me.. all my employers have ever looked at were the negatives.. regardless of my previous performance.

Sorry if unsolicited.

I_DTour
doiadhd (07-17-09)
Old 07-17-09, 09:26 AM
Jr Member

ddrumm5 is on a distinguished road

Family has known longer than I have and friends are suspicious!! It certainly explains alot!
The Following User Says Thank You to ddrumm5 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-17-09)
Old 07-18-09, 03:46 AM

kendrabean is on a distinguished road

I have no problem telling others I have ADD. The only thing that annoys me is when people respond with "So you were one of those hyperactive kids in school who wouldn't shut up and sit still huh?" As if that is all ADD is or something..being hyperactive and not shutting up. I'm inattentive anyway so that really doesn't apply to me.

I think if more people actually knew what ADD/ADHD was about..it would be easier for others to admit that they had it. It's other people's ignorance that would prevent me from talking about it. I can't even tell you how many people I know who think ADD= being hyper and not listening to directions. That is literally all they think it is. Some people I knew would even say "I can't concentrate today, I think I have ADD." Yes yes that must be it. I myself just ate 2 full bags of candy and now I'm feeling light headed, I think that means I must be diabetic. Good god, some people...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kendrabean For This Useful Post:
addengineer (07-31-09), doiadhd (07-18-09), ginniebean (07-18-09), NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-18-09, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,942 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromptu_DTour View Post
Then one day i told him i was ADHD.. now he doesnt trust me for anything.. all my facinating credibility.. my charotic intrisic desigs for success.. all of that magic.. but more importantly.. being valued as "compitant", "reliable", "responsable". "Trustworthy". its all gone now. I havnt changed. nothing has changed.. but now that he can identify my uniqueness as ADHD.. its "Just a matter of time until Dtour f***s up.."

I_DTour
Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. It's infuriating because I am reliable and I do my job well. But all of a sudden I lose credibility.

Sorry it's happened to you as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-18-09), Impromptu_DTour (09-02-09)
Old 07-18-09, 05:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumm5 View Post
Family has known longer than I have and friends are suspicious!! It certainly explains alot!
I have'nt been able to tell anyone,because I did'nt know,and even now i'm still not 100%-i'm 99% though!

I was,nt able to tell my boss's,friends or family...but it was,as if,they knew already!And would take the p*ss out of me anyway,but not to my face.

So I don't think it'd make a difference,any how-the best part is,I don't have to pretend to myself,that they think like me,and i them!Because that was driving me mentalist....I have ammunition now-from every grain of info I have gathered here,and am not afraid to open fire on these,self absorbed ego'ed Golliaths,of self worth.....calm down!

You get the jist...
Old 07-24-09, 04:30 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

I was diagnosed as a child, but only received treatment for two years. When I started researching ADD again as an adult, I asked my family and friends if they thought I really "had" it.

They'd give me this, "Well, duh" look and say that, yeah, they thought I was ADD.

As for other people, it's on a case-by-case basis. I reluctantly told a casual friend once, and she replied with, "Well... you seem pretty normal!". I think everyone expects us to be hyperactive, when many of us are not.

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
Old 07-25-09, 12:41 AM

wesley is on a distinguished road

LONG-WINDED RANT AHEAD.

Have you ever read "The Myth of Mental Illness" by Szasz? The title says it all. The premise of the book is that people, moral agents with free will, use mental illness as a tool or an excuse to avoid the difficulty of exercising that free will in a moral way. Choosing the right/good path is always more difficult then the easy path. That is the main point of the book, the rest of it is somewhat conspiratorial and religious. Nevertheless, this book has been very influential. Many subsequent derivate works have surfaced with varying takes on the same core premise.

It should not be surprising to you then how deeply suspicious people are of ADD. Its just kids acting badly or adults looking for drugs, right? Its just an excuse for bad work or social habits, perhaps. This is deeply engrained in many peoples minds. For that reason, I do not socialize my ADD.

################
Imagine sitting down to write a document for work. Its not particularly exciting, but it has to be done. You grab some water or coffee, sit down, and load Microsoft Word. Before you get started, you need to open some reference e-mails, so you bring up your e-mail client and you start looking for these documents and you find them. You tell yourself I should print these and have them next to the computer as I work on this so I don't have to keep switching between Microsoft Word and the e-mail client. So you hit print. You know its going to take a minute or two for the printer to warm up and print, so you think to yourself I'll walk over to my inbox and check for mail then walk over the printer. You start thinking you hope the new training catalog came in because your boss just told you that there is a training budget this year and you are hoping that this class is available because once you are trained on this you are pretty sure you can start socializing some ideas you have about merging some systems together..

You get up from your desk. You start walking to the inbox thinking about this training and on your way there another coworker stops and asks you if you had a chance to look at the meeting minutes from the department interlock meeting. You remember indeed you read this document. He emphasizes how important it is to follow through on the recommendations from this meeting. He says goodbye and oh by the way, Liz has doughnuts in her cubicle go grab one! You think... "Well, ****... I'll have a donut! Jelly donut, I am coming for you." so you walk over to Liz's desk and you start eating a donut and she turns and asks how you are doing and tells you that she just talked to Bob in product management and he wanted to see you about that new widget that Acme is selling and wants your professional opinion on it.

****This is going somewhere, just follow me.*****

So you start walking over to Bob's desk, after all, the team has been looking forward to seeing this widget in action and it will probably be your job to assess it and bring it to the team and give them an overview of it. Again, on the way there a guy from sales grabs you and asks you something about something and you just say "sure, no problem" and you keep walking and your thinking to yourself Bob is going to be pleased with what you have to say about the widget. Your talking to Bob about this widget.

Bob asks about the document. What document? The document. THEN you realize. I'm standing in Bob's office. I sat down to right that document. Why am I standing in Bob's office? You're not even sure what the chain of events were between your desk and Bob's office. So, once again irritated by your inability to do anything for more than a minute, you walk out of Bob's office and back to your desk.

Right behind you someone walks up to your cubicle and hands you the e-mails you printed out. Oh yeah... I did that didn't I? Thats why I got up from my desk. Then you start writing that document and you are determined to sit in your chair and not move until it is done. You keep "finding" yourself on the internet, just as you "found" yourself in Bob's office. Reading **** that has no relevance at all to your life.

Then the phone rings. Its that sales guy. Remember him? You said "sure no problem" and now that meeting has started. But you have no idea you agreed to that meeting because mentally you were somewhere else. Remember, he was saying "something about something?" You were physically at work, but really you were in your head having an imaginary conversation with Bob... as you were walking to Bob's desk to have a real conversation with him. So engrossed were you in this conversation in your head that you didn't even hear what the sales guy said. You tuned him out as soon as he started talking and when he stopped making noise you smiled and said sure no problem. Apparently he asked you to join a call with a client and now you are late for the call. You ask yourself why you keep doing that? ARGH!

By the way, this exact inability to listen to people who are standing right in front of you has affected your personal life as well, as you have frequently found yourself staring right through someone's head thinking about something completely irrelevant as they tell you about their day. Its not that you don't care or that they are boring. You do care. You love this person. But your brain takes over and shifts and floods your mind with an endless stream of nonsense.

The most important part here are the bits where you are thinking. Your brain never shuts the f*** up. Imagine fighting with your brain. Literally sitting at your desk saying to yourself over and over.. "I have to do this, I am going to do this, its f***ing important" because your brain doesn't care and is doing everything it can to move your attention elsewhere. Like the printer. The donut. The conversation with Bob. The internet. You don't make a willed decision as if it were an evaluated and fully conscious act. Your brain gets you off your chair and moves you along. Then finally you "find" yourself in Bob's office. You realize that your monkey brain is swinging from tree to tree again and you need to pull back and focus on what you are supposed to be doing.

The difference between this and "indifference" or "laziness" or "boredeom" or "undisciplined-ness" is that the flipping from one thing to the next controls you. It takes you with it, and many times you don't even realize that its happening until you've already jumped to the "next thing" whatever that is.

Sometimes you can catch it and you fight it, other times you find yourself on the other side of the building talking about radio-controlled airplanes or pumpkins or God knows what. Imagine living your whole life like that. Every day. All day.

############
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wesley For This Useful Post:
Andenia (10-18-09), Marspider (07-31-09), qzsaq (07-31-09)
Old 07-27-09, 11:09 PM

Collegekid2k is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I told some ladies I was gonna see a doc about it cause I wasn't concentrated...Well needless to say I know now they are watching my every move expecting miracle drugs to calm me down.

I at this point looking back at what life is without meds, I would never tell anybody I have adhd, if you don't have it, then by looking at the symptoms you could not possibly understand the difference between normal and adhd. It's beyond hard to concentrate on anything when all your brain wants to do is everything and nothing at the same time.

So I just do my stuff, take my meds and like being calm and collective
Old 07-31-09, 08:30 AM

addengineer is on a distinguished road

I have told my husband, but will probably not tell the rest of my family. I may tell one of my co-workers b/c some of my "issues", esp with deadlines, affect him and I think we may be able to come up with a plan together moving forward. KWIM? I would rather he know I have ADD than think I am just f-ing off or lazy.

I did accidently blurt it out to a collegue that I was going to talk to my dr about it. Maybe not the best move...
Old 07-31-09, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

undermythumb will become famous soon enough

I told my two friends the other night, also a blurting out situation...

.. they were incredibly nice about it, there wasn't even a brief confused/blank/'yeah whatever' look on their faces, they just immediately asked questions and said sorry!? I told them there was nothing to be sorry for but it was still a considerate response.
Old 07-31-09, 10:54 AM

qzsaq is on a distinguished road

i was just diagnosed but previously i told a few people from work that i was being tested as well as my family (which sucks... my sister would LOVE to get her hands on my meds)

most people don't seem to have a problem with it, but before the diagnosis came along i was told by a few people that i dont have it (HAH!) and then there are the people who believe it doesn't exist and that people with ADHD are just lazy. gotta love those people!
Old 07-31-09, 12:18 PM

Thanked 34,245 Times in 15,488 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does everyone in your life circle know you have AD/HD?
probably. i'm not exactly subtle, but i don't have a disclaimer stamped on my forehead either...

Quote:
If you found out as an adult, have you told people?
hmmm...not sure if this is applicable. i was a teenager and it was years ago.

Quote:
But I am curious..if you have ADD, like I do..do you hide it from those you are closest too..you see my husband knows me no other way..so is this what it is like for others?
i couldn't hide it if my life depended on it; medication wears off eventually

Quote:
So, if you don't say anything, would they notice a difference on meds?
absolutely! there's a *big* difference. plus, i just don't care; it is what it is. i have enough trouble keeping track of things i need to have or do. i couldn't possibly keep track of who knows, who knows i take medication, etc, etc, etc. i don't usually offer the information, but if i'm asked, i don't deny it--although most have more impulse control than i and don't ask

-peri
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
addengineer (08-02-09), doiadhd (07-31-09)