ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-09, 03:59 PM
Contributor

KFC in CA has a spectacular aura aboutKFC in CA has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I was recently diagnosed and to be honest have a hard time finding it a big deal if anyone or everyone knows. Really. The stigma is relatively low and as long as work gets done, employers don't really care.

Now, bipolar I don't want to share! That has stigma big time.
Old 02-09-09, 06:12 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

Whatever the choice, or the reason...you must feel comfortable with yourself, and your reasons.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going.

Lady X

Old 02-13-09, 04:50 PM

Galadriel724 is on a distinguished road
Re: How open are you about discussing your ADD with other people?

I don't bring it up with people I don't know unless they are talking about it or have it. However, I had to explain it at work. I was driving my co-nurses nuts and some of the ways I communicate (I'm hyperverbal and occasionally miss social cues) were explainable.
I explained about the difference in brain hard wiring and what symptoms I had, AND that I was treated and compliant with meds.
I also told them about the different ways it made me a better nurse, and what things I hated about it.
I gave them hints on how to slow me down and asked that they tell me in a non confrontational manner when I was being socially dense, as I can't change a behavior until I know about it.
In the end they accept me because I do my job well and am well liked by the patients. It's understood that we would never be friends outside of work, but that we have the same motivation to help, and our different backgrounds can only help us give great service.
If I hadn't been honest they would've thought I was annoying them on purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galadriel724 For This Useful Post:
katrinas (03-13-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,202 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I don't usually, but if the conversation heads that way then why not?

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 02-13-09, 07:17 PM

Thanked 28,045 Times in 13,505 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

it depends on the person; and if they are skeptical right away I just drop it.
of all people - my boss thinks he may have it himself... (impulsive/hyperactive)
I said, really but you're so organized; he said yes but that's overcompensating - he was very interested in this.
I only told him because he asked me; he really wanted to understand how it is that I can misinterpret directions etc.
very positive indeed!
Old 02-13-09, 07:48 PM

yankees440 will become famous soon enough

I am very open about taking about my ADHD with other people, especially with my family members and friends. I feel that the best way to explain my behavior at times is by saying i am ADD. Even though i do talk openly about my ADHD with other people, only a few people understand what i am talking about such as my dad and brother because they have ADHD too. My other family members listen to me and try to symphasize with me but they just don't understand how disabling this disorder can be at times especially with the anxiety and depression.
-Jordan-
Old 02-13-09, 11:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

I don't care who knows and I make reference to it often. When standing around in a group of people that are talking, I'm walking here, moving there, doing a 360 constantly, observing everything around me. I try to let people know that I'm not really that bored or uninterested in them and what they're saying. I just can't keep still... Now if they start fighting or debating, I'm there 100% and it's on.

Of course, that takes explaining too... People wonder why the space cadet turned into a bull dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal View Post
Nonsense, most advances in science or any other field a driven by a small cadre of highly studied professionals and the occasional genius.
The typical schmuck on the street watches Dr. Phil and imagines they have actually learned something.
The Socratic Method anyone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDAWAY View Post
I'm particular about this.

Lately, when I open up, I do so by poking a little fun at myself about my project pace, hyperfocus, daydreaming, creativity, boundless energy, adaptability ... I've been shocked at how many people then open up about ADHD and make a wonderful connection because either they have it, someone close to them does, or they work in a profession touching upon it.

If, instead, the person belittles ADHDers or, I begin rattling off everything under the sun I know about ADHD at hyperwarp speed, I don't let the person get a word in edgewise, I make sure I interrupt their sentences, and engage in every other conceivable ADHD social faux pas until the person slithers away in mortified shame or utter disgust. After all, it's time we used ADHD to our advantage:
  • Let's "hunt down" and stealthily pounce upon uneducated or insecure persons of the latter ilk with our strengths
  • Let's then repel them with our positively charged spray and stench
  • Finally, let's shout out to them "Arrrrrgh ... walk the plank!!"
That should keep them farmers in their own backwoods!
This made me laugh so hard! I love it. When people don't believe or belittle ADD, just start being, more, ADD? Wonderful! I get to act like... well.... me!
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
Old 02-14-09, 12:04 AM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if I agree about ADHD and the stigma surrounding it. Most people assume it has to do with little kids who eat too much junk food and can't keep still. I mean, that's what I thought when someone brought it up to me. They certainly don't think a 30 something year old female who struggles to keep up and can't seem to learn anything as having ADHD. Again I point to myself...

I'm not ashamed of my ADHD. But I am protective of it. I don't know if the information I disclose will help or hinder the relationships I have with people. Now in my real life I have yet to meet anyone who thinks they can 'cure' my ADHD. Or anyone who thinks badly of me because I take medication. But quite frankly, I don't want to get into that discussion with anyone.

Sometimes I wish I could talk to people about it. It's exciting to talk about what a change being diagnosed has made. And I want to talk about the good and the bad. How even today I still struggle with it.
Old 02-21-09, 03:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

nah I dont tell anyone I have ADD straight away as I think its not really that important, if it comes up in conversation then I might mention it but otherwise no because I dont see the point in telling someone I have it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkRoxy For This Useful Post:
ADXP (02-25-09)
Old 02-21-09, 06:54 AM

tamdesjar is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Umm I have ADHD and my meds haven't been completely working so I tend to blurt it out and yes I get some funny looks! I feel like now that I have a reason for my incessent rambling, and in appropriate comments I have to explain itTrying to get that blurting part under control .Always have struggled with the to much info syndrome
The Following User Says Thank You to tamdesjar For This Useful Post:
Orcas_are_neat (03-06-09)
Old 02-21-09, 08:24 AM

dacres will become famous soon enough

I'm in college... So no.

Because it how it goes/would go:

"I'm ADHD"
"oh SWEET, how much?"

Siiiigh.
Old 02-22-09, 04:01 PM
Jr Member

tomtom is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Only 3 people know about my ADD. My partner, one sister, and a friend at work
Old 02-25-09, 02:03 PM
Contributor

ADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really nice

Yes, I like to but I picked & chose . I like to educate
the public about it.
Old 02-26-09, 09:58 AM

mr.lazy will become famous soon enough

Well im not realy an adult but at 17 i consider myself nearly an adult so ima post llol :]

Well obv my family knows but as far as friends go, i have just recently discovered one of my friends has ADD and like me he keeps it too himself, i have told a total of 3 of my friends know, the reason being i fear they will misunderstand it, and take it that i am mentally retarded or something. I am still the same person i should just be better now that i know i have it and i can work around it (as hard as this is provving at the moment)
I just feel its easier not to tell people so they will not think less of me, being a teen myself i know how much we judge each other and this could be something people start to think of me different because and i realy dont want that.

:]

The Following User Says Thank You to mr.lazy For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (03-01-09)
Old 03-01-09, 09:18 PM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.lazy View Post
Well im not realy an adult but at 17 i consider myself nearly an adult so ima post llol :]

Well obv my family knows but as far as friends go, i have just recently discovered one of my friends has ADD and like me he keeps it too himself, i have told a total of 3 of my friends know, the reason being i fear they will misunderstand it, and take it that i am mentally retarded or something. I am still the same person i should just be better now that i know i have it and i can work around it (as hard as this is provving at the moment)
I just feel its easier not to tell people so they will not think less of me, being a teen myself i know how much we judge each other and this could be something people start to think of me different because and i realy dont want that.

:]
Some people don't have to know... you know who your REAL friends are... the ones that don't care and like you anyway! When you meet new people, though... it's best to keep it to yourself until you get to know them. There are times I have been afraid that someone might think that I will be using my ADD as an excuse or a crutch. I did tell my supervisor (at the volunteer job I have at the hospital) and other co-workers... which they expressed gratitude for the information. So, I've been there an entire month (well, of February, anyway)... It depends on the circumstances and situation. At school, only your teachers/counselors/principal need to know. The rest don't need to.. but up to you to let some of your school mates know. All I can say is (and I have been accused of the same thing) that people that accuse others as being "retarded" obviously are too. Ever heard the expression, "It takes one to know one"??? So true.

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005