ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-09, 11:22 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
But what if a person with ADD/HD can be an example of how worthwhile someone with ADD/HD is?

The only way to break these stereotypes and misconceptions is to provide the world with proof that we really are regular folks who just have our own particular quirks or special abilities.
ETA: The only way to overcome ignorance is through education! WE are responsible for educating those around us.. family, friends, co-workers, etc... that we deserve respect. You and I are NOT going to get respect because someone somewhere else stood up and spoke, or wrote a book, or made a video, or succeeded at a career, and so on.

why can't I add smilies to an edit? oops! I guess it worked!
I agree with this. I like to challenge the misconceptions people have about ADHD and I have seen many instances where someone's perception has changed for the better, if only by a small amount. Many times people will end up saying something like, "I didn't know that. I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it, that makes sense. That would explain my brother, spouse, child, friend, etc. No wonder they have a problem with "fill in the blank".

You start a conversation and you just might teach them a few things. And help them to develop a different perspective, see things in a different light.

ADDMagnet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (01-17-09), salleh (03-20-10), wsmac (01-14-09)
Old 01-22-09, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I was dx'd ADHD & BP last week. Since then I've only told my wife. I kinda expected a long drawn out discussion about it and the drugs I'm taking. But she just said, "Oh, OK" and gave me a hug.

I am considering telling my son who is ADHD, early 20's and untreated. Maybe just maybe if he knows that I'm doing something about it, he might be willing to get help. We tried to get him treated in Jr. High and he absolutely refused.

I may tell my oldest daughter. At times I wonder if she's BP. At the moment, I don't plan on telling any one else.
Old 01-22-09, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,648 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Gnbeg, that makes sense. You have to finish telling yourself before you will be okay with telling others.

I've had it for so long that I don't think about it much. It tends to be a case by case thing. I have told employers when that made sense, I made certain that the SO was aware of it when we started dating, told his family.

I guess I don't really care one way or another, to be honest. ADHD doesn't define me any more than being a survivor defines me. They are simply physiological challenges in my life.

When someone says something negative to me about it, I remind them that their opinion of me is none of my business.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Andrea715 (05-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-09, 12:17 AM

Thanked 1,026 Times in 573 Posts
kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I was thinking about this thread today. I just got a new job and I find being honest about my problems helps. Well I told one assistant manager when I got barely any sleep, and was like i'm good i took adderall. Then I said not saying I abuse it, I need it. Then he started cracking histerically, and this was my first day working with him!!! I knew I was right when most people can tell right away when they meet me.I felt like a retard when I felt like had to say the second comment.
okay back on the subject, I find myself much more comfortable knowing they know and they treat me really well. I tell my boss that I'm probably never going to remember money codes and all the meat labels, and him, as well as many other people say it takes us all awhile and you'll get used to it. So that made me a bit more comfortable to recognize, it's a lot to learn!.. although I have a bit of a difference there.
I've also been 5 minutes late for like my first couple days lately or maybe just on time. I'm suppose to come 5 minutes early. I was talking to my upper management boss about it, completely voluntary, saying I have a problem with losing track of time and I was wondering if he could tell me to come in earlier than I'm suppose to, switching around the times before I had to come. He didn't want to be responsible of me sitting around waiting to clock in and stuff, also telling me that time is a essence and it's very important to work with it. Then I also talked to my other assistant manager and he was saying how he has to get ready an hour earlier before work. I said I get kinda distracted and can't get ready for that long. It was funny but it was important to take into account giving myself a lot of time or basically just make a habit of trying to do it that way.
It was also nice when I was closing with my boss that I didn't mind him reminding me what I need to do because I definitely forget what i'm suppose to be doing. So, I kind of like made the relationship better and more comfortable.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Andrea715 (05-28-10)
Old 01-23-09, 12:33 AM

mvt2009 is on a distinguished road

I am very open about telling people that I will be interacting with on a regular basis that I have ADD and that I take medicine.

I teach 4th/5th grade and I have even shared this information with my students. While this may seem inappropriate to some, my students already knew what was going on before I said anything, so I think it helped a few of them relax a little because it was all out in the open. I do have to say as well, most of my "parents" have been very understanding and supportive, and the staff I work with, for the most part, has been helpful also.

It's kinda cool having the kids in on it because I can ellicit their help with procedures and paper work a little easier. They also seem to rise to the occasion of anticipating when I might need an extra reminder so I don't forget things like...recess or lunch. Oops.

Marnie
The Following User Says Thank You to mvt2009 For This Useful Post:
Andrea715 (05-28-10)
Old 01-23-09, 12:43 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

hahaha forgetting recess and lunch, that's great! thanks for the laugh.

btw I never remember lunch for myself half the time.
Old 01-23-09, 07:48 AM

Thanked 28,045 Times in 13,505 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

lunch is really one of the few things I never forget! I'm so hungry right now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-25-09), xraylady33 (02-09-09)
Old 01-25-09, 04:53 AM
Jr Member

NeilB is on a distinguished road

I've told my family and close friends some are very supportive but others are VERY disparaging about stimulants, it is an on going issue with my stepmom.

I've also given my my boss a heads up that I have dex locked in my desk, so that she's aware that if I fall over and have a heart attack / stroke not to give me that particular pill (having artial fibrilation means I have an increased risk of cardiac events)
Old 01-25-09, 06:48 PM
Jr Member

kellieb is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with ADHD in August and since starting the meds I have already lost 56 pounds. Friends and co-workers started asking if I was sick! I guess I did lose it pretty quickly, but I explain why and 99% of the time they say well you do seem calmer. That kills me, I am not hyper, never really have been, my brain was hyper. They have no idea what ADHD is all about, so I pretty much don't tell anybody unless they are close and I explain what it is all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to kellieb For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-28-09)
Old 01-28-09, 04:52 AM

Joy Division is on a distinguished road

I don't tell many people that I have ADHD.
I find that the majority of people see it as an excuse
"to be a space out" or an excuse to "be unorthodox"
It's a bit harder as well seeing I refuse medication,
because people assume that if I "really had ADHD"
I'd be taking medication.

I do tell people I'm close to, but I kinda wonder
what effect it has on them and their perception of who I am.
Would it have made much of a difference seeing most people
simply think of AD/HD as "jumps around a lot or spaces out most of the time"?
I'm not too sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joy Division For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (02-09-09)
Old 01-28-09, 11:12 AM

well, do you do one of the two? I always thought you kinda needed to be one or the other. Most of us don't realize we're spacing out anyway.

In doesn't make much difference telling or not, most people can see it obviously in me and for awhile there I never knew I was spacing out, like all the time! They either think i'm a *******, ditz, or a cold person who never talks, so they might as well know I'm ADHD to put those connections together.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Andrea715 (05-28-10)
Old 02-07-09, 08:08 AM

yamaha_ridr is on a distinguished road

I work goverment contract overseas so the people that I work with are in my life 12+ hours a day. I recently (January) got on meds. I let everyone know before hand and I have been told that the difference is apparent. No more stareing into outer space. I complete one thing before I start another and have become very serious about that.
Plus the running down the hall has stopped.
I do not think of it as a bad thing because I did not do this to myself so why hide it. I think people are more receptive when they understand you.
Old 02-07-09, 09:26 AM
Jr Member

SmartAlec is on a distinguished road

well, see, I try to hold my composure in a conversation, but if I slip and switch convos mid sentence, or just start talking 200 mph, about the shade of a color I saw that was just SO beautiful, or the difference in the feeling of fur between a silky and a rex.... then ya, I usually sorta laugh and apologize that i have ADD.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmartAlec For This Useful Post:
Andrea715 (05-28-10)
Old 02-08-09, 01:50 PM

Re: How open are you about discussing your ADD with other people?

I mention it if it happens to go with the topic and I want the person to know. It's nice when sometimes I find out the other person has ADD and i'm like score I knew we got along for a reason!

The normals just never understand though and they can't understand how you mentally cannot cope with it, they don't understand the connections do not link together like they should.
Old 02-08-09, 02:03 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Re: How open are you about discussing your ADD with other people?

deps who there are and what the atauaced is towards me and the duccfits i have iam allwasys carefull with what i say to others as in the padt i have had poor respoce from pepeole sooo very few know that part me most know about the dylicax part and i get alot flack for that sooo i dono like to add to it

dorm
LostInTheStars (02-08-09)