ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-09, 04:17 AM
Contributor

ginnal has a spectacular aura aboutginnal has a spectacular aura about
Re: How open are you about discussing your ADD with other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaiser View Post
I feel that ADD does not have the stigma many other psych-issues/disorders have. ADD doesn't make us nuts, or evil, or necessarily stupid. But it does have it's challenges and affects our lives in many ways. Most importantly, I feel like I need to discuss my ADD with people to explain my behavior. I mean I'm not going around telling everyone I have ADD, but I have no shame in saying that I have it.

I enjoy talking to other people with ADD (several of my friends have ADD). I also like explaining it to people who don't have it or don't know about it (for example, explaining inattentive type ADD - most people hold a stereotype that people with ADD are bouncing off the walls, this isn't true for many). Knowing that my friends/acquaintances understand that I have ADD makes me feel more comfortable because they can take it into consideration when evaluating me or my behavior, on and off of meds.

So do you think ADD is something you can discuss with people? Do you?
No.
I think it largely pointless to discuss it with anyone who will not be affected by it directly.

Old 01-12-09, 04:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal View Post
No.
I think it largely pointless to discuss it with anyone who will not be affected by it directly.
The way I see it is that it is not pointless to withhold discussion of a topic simply because I might believe the recipient has no direct relation with it.

If society were to live by your idea above ginnal, then there would be little advancement in subjects such as science, politics, and religion.
No matter what you think of any of these topics, the idea is that if we go about our lives selectively discussing issues, then they are more likely to resolve and grow very slowly, if at all.

It has been through public discourse that greater strides have been made with such topics. Some people are not aware of their direct relationship to a particular topic until it is brought forward to them, especially in the realm of medicine.

I also understand that bringing out topics to public display can allow certain people to take on a relationship with the topic when there really is not one... living a lie, as it were.
But that should not squash public debate and education.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-08-09), Atsuko (04-10-10), LostInTheStars (02-08-09), qhcowgirl (02-13-09)
Old 01-12-09, 04:35 AM
Contributor

ginnal has a spectacular aura aboutginnal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
The way I see it is that it is not pointless to withhold discussion of a topic simply because I might believe the recipient has no direct relation with it.

If society were to live by your idea above ginnal, then there would be little advancement in subjects such as science, politics, and religion.
No matter what you think of any of these topics, the idea is that if we go about our lives selectively discussing issues, then they are more likely to resolve and grow very slowly, if at all.
Nonsense, most advances in science or any other field a driven by a small cadre of highly studied professionals and the occasional genius.
The typical schmuck on the street watches Dr. Phil and imagines they have actually learned something.

Quote:
It has been through public discourse that greater strides have been made with such topics.
Prove this.
I know it's a nice cliche that keeps people warm at night and happy in their delusions but I see no evidence to back this up.

Quote:
Some people are not aware of their direct relationship to a particular topic until it is brought forward to them, especially in the realm of medicine.

I also understand that bringing out topics to public display can allow certain people to take on a relationship with the topic when there really is not one... living a lie, as it were.
But that should not squash public debate and education.
That might be true but it's certainly not my problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 05:01 AM
Forum ADDvocate

wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal View Post
Nonsense, most advances in science or any other field a driven by a small cadre of highly studied professionals and the occasional genius.
The typical schmuck on the street watches Dr. Phil and imagines they have actually learned something.
Hmm name-calling... a bit lame ginnal for someone who seems to feel above the norm. That's what I gather from what you write.

Each specific scientific theory and resulting proof is indeed carried out by a relative small number of people. But to further this proof, they must expose it to a much larger audience.
as Scientists grow old and die, there must be new ones to come up in the ranks to replace them to continue this expanding field.
These replacements do not appear from a vacuum... some of them come from such unlikely places as the barrios of East L.A. or the Bronx in New York City.
If scientific achievements, new ideas in medicine, religious doctrine, political debate were not open to public view... they would indeed slow in their advancement.

Likewise, if the masses are not privy to the experimentation going on behind closed doors, there is little in the way of someone advancing something dangerous or morally wrong.
Now, I understand there are some things that do happen in secret, but there have been times when public opinion has come to play in a manner that protected society from harm.

Unfortunately, you over generalize about the so-called 'typical schmuck'.
You do a disservice to yourself, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal
That might be true but it's certainly not my problem.
This is such a pitiful statement on your behalf ginnal.
First off, I do not recall anyone stating that it was 'your problem', so because you apparently can't stand to be left out of a discussion even when you feel it does not apply to or concern you, this is the type of retort you come up with.

Your words, ginnal, bring to mind a person who strives so hard to raise themselves above something they either fear or despise, and I think it relates to what you fear or despise about yourself more than others.

Yet, you choose to lace your commentary with venomous wording... perhaps you enjoy exciting people and seeing them angry due to your imagined skills at intellectual discourse.

Some of your posts have come across to me as intelligent and well thought out, but when you fall and start spewing meaningless commentary, you really undermine what good you have to show.

And though I'm sure you will repeat, once again, how you really don't give a s**t about my opinion... I do find yours amusing and sad.
That is why I read them and respond...

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
Atsuko (04-10-10), salleh (03-20-10)
Old 01-12-09, 07:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I discuss my ADHD with others when appropriate. I have my say to those who do not understand it like those who go through it everyday of their lives. It is a complex subject and very sensitive for me.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
katrinas (03-14-09)
Old 01-12-09, 10:54 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

I've spent a lot of time researching and reading up on ADHD ever since my son was diagnosed more than 6 years ago. I've read more than 3 dozen books, countless articles, subscribe to two ADD magazines, attend two support groups for parents of children with ADHD, etc. My husband has the classic ADHD, my teenage son and adult daughter have the inattentive type of ADHD as do I and I have quite a few friends with ADHD as well. I feel very comfortable discussing ADHD and in many cases I am able to challenge someone's incorrect thinking about ADHD so that they see it in a different light and/or learn something new about it. I have tons of examples to use since we all have ADHD in my family and we all take medication for it.

In some ways it is like a hobby for me. Since I enjoy reading anyways, I just kept reading and learning more about ADHD.
Old 01-13-09, 09:07 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,306 Times in 8,616 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I am quite reluctant in sharing. I find I am generally met with a lot of misunderstanding or outright indifference. I more or less learned my lesson.
Old 01-13-09, 02:36 PM

Nene is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I let my friends and boss know. I think it's important that my job know because there are certain protections you have (because technically it's a disability) but HR has to know about it. I don't require anything special but I do have a few work quirks and it fosters understanding to know that I have ADHD. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of nor do I think it prevents me from doing anything so I don't hide it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nene For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (01-13-09)
Old 01-13-09, 03:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

When discussing my ADD/HD, it's not always in the context of what I 'can't' do as well as the average person appears to be able to... it's also during moments when I am complimented on something that I see as a positive trait I have that would fall under my ADD/HD diagnosis.

In those moments, I usually say something like, "Oh, thank you! I can thank my ADD for that!" (sometimes I say it as Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADHD, because some people are more familiar with certain terms over others)

Last night at work, I was assisting an E.R. nurse who was starting an I.V. (they're so nice as to attempt to draw blood for the tests ordered instead of having me stick the patient an additional time), and I was a bit more of what I usually am... very bubbly and talkative.

Anyway, I was doing my normal best to help lighten the moment and have the patient smile a bit, and I stopped myself when I noticed how extra energetic I was being.

I remarked, "Wow! I guess I'm being a bit out of character huh?", (which the nurse knew was a lie ), and the nurse replied, "I noticed that!"... kidding back with me, of course.

Next I said, "Probably because I forgot to take my Concerta today!"
She replied, "Serta?"
And it went on a bit further until I got it through to her that Concerta was my ADD/HD medicine.

All-in-all, my general experiences with discussing my ADD/HD with others, has been benign or even positive.

I can't tell you the number of people who have all-of-a-sudden relaxed and started talking about how they were diagnosed being Bi-Polar, with Depression, etc.

I have found that for the other people in my world who deal with issues similar in scope to my ADD/HD, my mentioning this diagnosis of mine opens up a doorway to what must feel like a safe haven of sorts... someone who can empathize and not offer up the usual ignorant and rude comments so many people seem to do.

I know I've said it before here, but I am able to have an attitude that I am not a broken human being.

I can honestly say that once I accepted that this so-called deficit/disorder was nothing other than a normal state of mind, and the only reason it was a 'problem' in my life was due to the constraints of an imperfect society, I was free to drop all my anxiety and mistaken belief that I was a defective human and a burden to my family, my friends, my work... certainly anyone I was even remotely connected with in this world.

I see people around me that fit the 'normal' image, yet after spending a few moments in conversation with people, or in over-hearing their discussions, or just watching their behavior, I find that there are a good number of folks that under different circumstances I could classify them as having some sort of deficiency or disorder.

It is certainly only relative, this shell we wrap around our daily lives, our jobs, etc as a society, this labeling of things not-of-the-norm.

Hmmm, run-on sentences... must be I have some sort of linguistic-educational-associative-structural disorder... or in acronym form... L.E.D.*********

=========
=========

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
ADDMagnet (01-15-09), katrinas (03-13-09), LostInTheStars (02-08-09)
Old 01-13-09, 05:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaPera View Post
Seems like the wisest additude to me. Public awareness is getting better, but it's still a risk to have people make stupid judgments that could affect your livelihood, your children's education, etc.
But what if a person with ADD/HD can be an example of how worthwhile someone with ADD/HD is?

The only way to break these stereotypes and misconceptions is to provide the world with proof that we really are regular folks who just have our own particular quirks or special abilities.

I see this in the world of the Transgendered person.
The common feeling amongst TG folks that I know or have met online, is that the genetic male who feels transgendered is type-casted as a flaming drag queen.

And don't we all know, thanks to hollywood and television, that all transwoman are fragile mentally/emotionally, and run around in pink chiffon dresses, heavy makeup, outrageous false eyelashes/wigs/boobs, and 10 inch stiletto pumps?

For the genetic female who understands they are transgendered, their particular public image is that of a Bull Dyke Lesbian.

You know them... those overweight, crew-cut, chain-smoking, "IN YOUR FACE", militant, b*tches! All angry and emotionally corrupt.

More and more of us Trans People are finding out that if we just be ourselves and allow this whole trans-issue to just be another ingredient of who we are, and act like that... more people are going to see us, over time, as part of the norm instead of an anomaly.

Now, of course, there are folks who will cling to ignorant, abusive, and discriminatory views, but I can't spend my life hiding from them.

What I'm trying to get across here is that we either let these stereotypes persist and hide behind them or stress ourselves out by trying to 'be' what we are not... or we just be ourselves and when the question comes up, we acknowledge that, "Why sure, I have ADD/HD! And here's what it means in my life... the difficult and the wonderful!".
ETA: The only way to overcome ignorance is through education! WE are responsible for educating those around us.. family, friends, co-workers, etc... that we deserve respect. You and I are NOT going to get respect because someone somewhere else stood up and spoke, or wrote a book, or made a video, or succeeded at a career, and so on.

why can't I add smilies to an edit? oops! I guess it worked!

=========
=========

Old 01-13-09, 09:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice

I would love to sit here and say i have no problem talking about my ADD but that is just not the case. I have always wanted to teach and help others who have ADD but yet I can't seem to talk about it. Not even that, I can talk about it but i can actaulyl say ADD. I just freak out about it. I have read books, artilces, you name it. I realyl would like to spread the word more and make more people aware but I just have trouble. How weird is that?
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 01-13-09, 10:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

I'm particular about this.

Lately, when I open up, I do so by poking a little fun at myself about my project pace, hyperfocus, daydreaming, creativity, boundless energy, adaptability ... I've been shocked at how many people then open up about ADHD and make a wonderful connection because either they have it, someone close to them does, or they work in a profession touching upon it.

If, instead, the person belittles ADHDers or, I begin rattling off everything under the sun I know about ADHD at hyperwarp speed, I don't let the person get a word in edgewise, I make sure I interrupt their sentences, and engage in every other conceivable ADHD social faux pas until the person slithers away in mortified shame or utter disgust. After all, it's time we used ADHD to our advantage:
  • Let's "hunt down" and stealthily pounce upon uneducated or insecure persons of the latter ilk with our strengths
  • Let's then repel them with our positively charged spray and stench
  • Finally, let's shout out to them "Arrrrrgh ... walk the plank!!"
That should keep them farmers in their own backwoods!
ginniebean (03-13-09), katrinas (03-13-09), LostInTheStars (02-08-09), qhcowgirl (02-13-09)
Old 01-13-09, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of
Talking Reply To: Do you tell people you have ADD?

At the time I was diagnosed with AD{H}D I was so relieved to finally have an actual name to my problems, I see no reason to hide it. I've always been upfront about my conditions. I don't volunteer the information but if someone asks or if I see that someone is giving me a strange look I will certainly speak up. My AD{H}D, Dyscalculia and Sensory Integration Disorder are part and parcel of who I am and I see it as an opportunity to enlighten and help others understand what having these conditions mean.

"Spiraling With That θddly Riveting Scrθθey Grθθθve"
If life is so Riveting-How come my A{D}HD makes me feel like Bθlting when I
Scrθθ~up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Ødd~Scr~θθball For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (08-11-15), kebejazo (02-24-10)
Old 01-13-09, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

hoosiergirl will become famous soon enough

Initiallly, I was pretty gung ho about discussing it with people. Now, unless it is necessary somehow, I just don't bring it up. My mother's eyes glaze over if I mention it and I think some people just look at it as a handy excuse. The only place I can freely mention it is here in these forums. This is the only place in the world I feel I can go and be understood and not judged for my dingy-ness.
erindera (01-27-10), katrinas (03-13-09)
Old 01-14-09, 09:17 PM

pamkay414 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I haven't told many. But I sometimes wonder if I really do have ADD because I can sit for hours and work on a crochet project or do other things that I need to do. I am on ritalin and it works for me as far as helping me to clean my house and give me energy and helps me sit at my desk (work at home on computer) so I can get my work done. The med raises my mood and I do notice a difference in my whole day if I don't take the med compared to when I do take it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamkay414 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-25-09), xraylady33 (02-09-09)