ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-18, 01:46 PM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road
Question has sertraline made my adhd worse

Hello people

I have known for a long time that I have had problems with concentration and focus but now I am having major problems functioning.

I have just been for an ADHD chat and scored very high on adhd sheets but i am waiting a reply from the NHS team once they have a meeting.

I am 40 and was taking 200mg max dose sertraline since 2009 but now i take 50mg but very gradually, I had noticed that my focus and concentration was very limited and i struggle to do simple tasks.

The only way to describe it is every day its like i feel Blarr every day some times i cant walk straight have sometimes problems crossing the road constant music looping and loosing things has this happen to any of you people

I think maybe that my dopamine levels are mucked up or its brain fogg but it will not go.

strange thing is its better at night but in my brain its like there is too much going on and i feel very overwhelmed Adhd symptoms are very bad and i get hyper very often.

Even typing this has been hard for me to do.as the forum makes me feel overwhelmed

Thank you for any advice

and thanks for reading
Old 01-22-19, 09:56 AM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road
Re: has sertraline made my adhd worse

Hi people just an update here been off sertraline for around seven days and feel much better.

I found out that my vitamin D level was low turns out that ssri can lower vitamin D over time

so this would not have helped just thought i would up date the thread
The Following User Says Thank You to soulsearcher For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 07:22 PM
Furiendly Mrraowderator

Thanked 24,385 Times in 14,390 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like sertraline was wrong for you, soulsearcher
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-19, 08:37 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed through the NHS at age 42, it will make a big difference when you're on the medication that works for you, good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-23-19, 09:58 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

I had same problem with SSRIs in the past, they were making my adhd symptoms worse

I had a thought in my mind in the past, i think ADHD people's depression is related to dopamine deficiency rather than serotonine. I dont know whether it is true or not but i always responded good to other anti-depressants for example bupropion.(Wellbutrin)

SSRIs are good at treating anxiety or obsessives thoughts due to my experiences(my opinion)

I used lustral for short period of time in the past 2 years ago and it made me energyless,lazy etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-24-19, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I'd used almost all of antidepressant meds(fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertaline etc). Only aurorix(moclobemid), effexor(venlafaxin) and wellbutrin(bupropion) worked at me partially. Others made me worse.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 01-24-19, 09:37 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I'd used almost all of antidepressant meds(fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertaline etc). Only aurorix(moclobemid), effexor(venlafaxin) and wellbutrin(bupropion) worked at me partially. Others made me worse.
i have never used moclobemid, i used venlafaxin 4-5 years ago for long period of time and it didnt work on me
but seems like our response to medicines are familiar

Only Wellbutrin(buprapion) and Stablon(tianeptine) worked good at me.
Stablon's withdrawal can be really hard , i do not suggest anyone to use it,but it worked for me for 3-4 months.
Wellbutrin worked for almost 2 year
I think there are people like us who don't respond serotonine based depression treatment

It is so disappointing that there arent many NDRI medications
Norepinephrine&Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor
There is only one , bupropion
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-24-19, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
i have never used moclobemid, i used venlafaxin 4-5 years ago for long period of time and it didnt work on me
but seems like our response to medicines are familiar

Only Wellbutrin(buprapion) and Stablon(tianeptine) worked good at me.
Stablon's withdrawal can be really hard , i do not suggest anyone to use it,but it worked for me for 3-4 months.
Wellbutrin worked for almost 2 year
I think there are people like us who don't respond serotonine based depression treatment

It is so disappointing that there arent many NDRI medications
Norepinephrine&Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor
There is only one , bupropion
Have you ever used imipramine (tofranil) or an another tricyclic antidepressant? One doctor had prescribed me tofranil, but i've never used it. Because it's one of the oldest antidepressant and has many side effects.
Also the doctor who had diagnosed me as adhd for the first time had thought to prescribe guanfacine. But he did't because he couldn't be sure if guanfacine is available or not in Turkey.
Unfortunately, in our country if you have adhd and develop tolerance to methylphenidate, you are prescribed off-label drugs which aren't approved for adhd treatment by FDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-24-19, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,411 Times in 12,488 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVED Tofranil.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (01-25-19), soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-24-19, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I LOVED Tofranil.
I second that. I take it now and have done for around 5 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-24-19), soulsearcher (02-05-19)
Old 01-25-19, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Little missy and alphawave;
-What mg did you use it?
-What were side effects?Did tofranil made you drowsy, sleepy? Did it cause heart problems?
-Did it help you to concentrate what you want?
-Did it give you motivation, energy?
Old 01-25-19, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
Little missy and alphawave;
-What mg did you use it?
-What were side effects?Did tofranil made you drowsy, sleepy? Did it cause heart problems?
-Did it help you to concentrate what you want?
-Did it give you motivation, energy?
Imipramine

I take 125 mg per day as the recommended dose (150 mg) made me slightly hypomanic

Side effects aren't very nice really: constipation, and lack of sexual desire. I could perform sexually if needed but I wasn't fussed if I went without.

I take it at night and it doesn't make me drowsy or sleepy. It doesn't keep me awake either.

It didn't help my adhd symptoms like concentration but it does help with anxiety.

It didn't help with motivation either. If you find a medication that helps motivation let me know. And I don't mean the first few days on a stimulant.

One thing was that it's meant to take a few weeks to work. But it worked straight away for me. It's been a bit of a life saver really.
Old 01-25-19, 01:45 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I started with 75mg per day and went to 150m. Dry mouth-haha=sometimes I'd have something important to say and my lips would be stuck to my teeth. I found it amusing. Slept great at night.
My dog loved it because I could sleep in and she was big on sleeping in under the covers. Red Doberman.
My husband told me whoever gave me the happy pills not to ever take them away!
Tofranil, I'd go back on it in a second. I loved it, but it did not help for ADD. I ate a giant bowl of oat bran every day to poop. I took it for 4 or 5 years. I switched to Adderall.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I started with 75mg per day and went to 150m. Dry mouth-haha=sometimes I'd have something important to say and my lips would be stuck to my teeth. I found it amusing. Slept great at night.
My dog loved it because I could sleep in and she was big on sleeping in under the covers. Red Doberman.
My husband told me whoever gave me the happy pills not to ever take them away!
Tofranil, I'd go back on it in a second. I loved it, but it did not help for ADD. I ate a giant bowl of oat bran every day to poop. I took it for 4 or 5 years. I switched to Adderall.
Yes, I forgot to mention dry mouth. You do get used to it. I have heard though it's bad for your teeth not to produce much saliva, so one of the side effects I've read is tooth decay. I still won't stop taking it though and my teeth are fine at the mo
Old 01-25-19, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawave View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention dry mouth. You do get used to it. I have heard though it's bad for your teeth not to produce much saliva, so one of the side effects I've read is tooth decay. I still won't stop taking it though and my teeth are fine at the mo
I think the dry mouth is worse with Adderall, but I'm a dental maniac and take really good care of my beautiful teeth and I'm 61 so who knows?