ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-19, 01:25 PM

Saludable is on a distinguished road
ADD is caused by sugar

The sugar if it is in excess in the blood sticks to the proteins creating the waste AGE (advanced glycation end). And the more sugar there is in the blood, the more AGE waste will be formed and the worse physical and mental health we will have. If we have this waste in the brain we will have drowsiness during the day because the brain wants us to sleep because during the sleep increases up to 20 times the elimination of brain waste by the glymphatic system.

Y drowsiness causes tiredness, suffering, bad mood, violence, depression, stress, little mental clarity, poor memory, low intelligence, addictions.... To see the level of PGA is the analysis of glycated hemoglobin. An optimal level is 4 to 5%, a diabetic usually has 9 to 12% For every 1% increase in glycated hemoglobin there is 28% more mortality.

To eliminate PGA waste from the body and brain we have to control the sugar in blood, for this we can eat a diet low in carbohydrates such as the ketogenic diet. We can also eat a lot of carbohydrates but prefer low and medium foods glycemic index to high, and especially making many small meals a day instead of few large meals. At dinner it is better to avoid carbohydrates.

Last edited by namazu; 03-18-19 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: No links to commercial websites or advertising materials.
Old 03-18-19, 02:48 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,110 Times in 7,988 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD is caused by sugar

Can you provide a source on this?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-31-19), Greyhound1 (03-18-19), Little Missy (03-20-19)
Old 03-18-19, 08:49 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,421 Times in 8,203 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar intake may cause some ADHD like symptoms but it doesn’t cause ADHD.

That’s like saying drinking lots of alcohol causes the stomach flu because you threw up and feel like crap.

What about those of us on Keto diets and greatly limit carbs and sugar and still have ADHD? Also, these figures seem odd.
Quote:
An optimal level is 4 to 5%, a diabetic usually has 9 to 12% For every 1% increase in glycated hemoglobin there is 28% more mortality.
If every 1% increase = 28% more mortality, wouldn’t that mean diabetics in the 9%-12% range would all be dead?

Also, welcome to the forum!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-31-19), Little Missy (03-18-19), Lunacie (03-19-19), psychopathetic (03-18-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-19, 11:36 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 22,051 Times in 11,121 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

A poor diet and spiking/crashing blood sugar can adversely affect concentration and other bodily functions, and set people up for a variety of medical complications. Levels of hormones and inflammation that are affected by blood sugar (directly or indirectly) can influence brain function.

But while diet can affect ADHD symptoms, there are plenty of studies that suggest that sugar consumption is probably not a major player -- and certainly not the sole culprit -- in the causation of ADHD in the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
If every 1% increase = 28% more mortality, wouldn’t that mean diabetics in the 9%-12% range would all be dead?
Not necessarily -- this is referring to a percentage of the baseline mortality rate.

So if the baseline mortality were, say, 38.6 deaths/1000 person-years, then even a 100% increase (doubling of the rate) would bring you up to 77.2 deaths /1000 person-years.

(We'll keep things simple and pretend that 1000 person-years means -- roughly -- 1000 people being followed for a year each.)

For what it's worth, in this study of Type II diabetics, the authors estimate that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi et al., NEJM, 2015
The average increase in risk for each increase of 1 percentage point (10 mmol per mole) in the glycated hemoglobin level was 12% in the analysis of all-cause mortality and 14% in the analysis of cardiovascular mortality.
Diabetes (regardless of type) is rough on the body, for sure, and people who have both ADHD and diabetes may face additional challenges managing both conditions. Having ADHD can make it hard to plan meals and keep track of blood sugars and insulin. Having diabetes can affect ADHD treatment (because sometimes meds can affect blood sugar, for example). Etc.

But the blanket claim that "ADD is caused by sugar" does not appear to hold in most cases of ADHD.

There may be health benefits to reducing sugars/simple starches in the diet, but for many/most of us with ADHD, cutting out sugar or following a low-carb/keto diet alone will not make the ADHD symptoms disappear.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-31-19), aeon (03-31-19), Greyhound1 (03-19-19), Little Missy (03-20-19), Lunacie (03-19-19), psychopathetic (03-19-19), stef (03-19-19)
Old 03-19-19, 02:33 AM

If you are interested in the diet I have been using for 10 months, it is making me eliminate the waste AGE of the brain and be more awake and more energetic. I eat about 100 calories of fruit every hour and a half, if I go hungry at 45 minutes I can eat butter or dried coconut. At dinner like olives, dried coconut, avocados ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Saludable For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-19-19)
Old 03-20-19, 03:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,479 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Super stuff us the body in every way. A low carb diet can help ease adhd but there is no cure for a disorder that is pervasive. I do agree that no sugar helps with the management of adhd.
Old 03-31-19, 11:39 AM
Contributor

SashaBV has a spectacular aura aboutSashaBV has a spectacular aura about

It may be a factor, but my family never had a problem with consuming excess sugar, except possibly my father a little. We were poor, so we had to to concentrate on consuming enough basic nutrition...sweets were a luxury. I still limit sweets in my diet. I pretty much grew up without sodas, an especially good thingl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-31-19), Lunacie (03-31-19)
Old 10-20-20, 03:23 AM

I have been on a diet for more than 2 years of eating 120 calories of fruit every hour and a half during the day and at night I eat mainly fats such as olives, oil, coconut ...

I have improved a lot, I am more awake and with more energy, I have not yet cleaned my brain completely but there is little time left. I will continue to report.

I recommend reading the book “Grain Brain”
Old 10-21-20, 05:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,408 Times in 15,486 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If it works for you that's fine but the author of grain brain has had his theories questioned for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludable View Post
I have been on a diet for more than 2 years of eating 120 calories of fruit every hour and a half during the day and at night I eat mainly fats such as olives, oil, coconut ...

I have improved a lot, I am more awake and with more energy, I have not yet cleaned my brain completely but there is little time left. I will continue to report.

I recommend reading the book “Grain Brain”
Quote:
Perlmutter has always been unorthodox in his approach to medicine. For well over a decade, and long before he was a household name, he has claimed to offer his readers “miraculous” — his word — treatments capable of preventing or reversing all sorts of devastating medical problems. He has also claimed that supplements and “detoxification” regimens — available for purchase on his various websites — are crucial to optimizing brain health. Earlier this year, he stated that the conversation about childhood vaccines and autism is “ill-defined,” and that parents should ask their pediatricians about spacing out their children’s vaccinations — an approach the CDC disagrees with, and which 90 percent of doctors surveyed by the journal Pediatrics in 2013 said would put children and communities at greater risk of contracting preventable diseases.
Quote:
As Perlmutter’s megaphone has grown, so, too, has his brand empire — he has sold everything from “Empowering Coconut Oil” to supplement blends tailored for specific demographics, like the $90 “Scholar’s Advantage Pack” for “young adults seeking to optimize cognitive function,” and the $160 “Senior Empowerment Pack,” a “combination of formulas designed to help keep you cognitively sharp as you age.” One book pointed readers to an $8,500 brain detoxification retreat run by Perlmutter, which included shamanic healing ceremonies. (He even has his own organic foaming hand soap.)
Quote:
Since Perlmutter presents himself as a distinguished medical expert, a natural place to start is with his credentials. “[Dr. Perlmutter] contributed extensively to the world medical literature,” reads his website, “with publications appearing in The Journal of Neurosurgery, The Southern Medical Journal, Journal of Applied Nutrition, and Archives of Neurology.” Earlier bios also list the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Yet a closer look at his publications reveals that Perlmutter hasn’t actually conducted much research. In the scientific community, full-length peer-reviewed articles, especially widely cited ones, are the gold-standard of significant research. But his contribution to JAMA — an extremely prestigious medical journal — is actually just a letter to the editor. The Southern Medical Journal? A case report and a clinical brief, both co-authored with his father when the younger Perlmutter was still a medical student. Archives of Neurology? Another case report. (Case reports and clinical briefs are short discussions around 1-4 pages long.)

As for the prestigious-sounding Journal of Applied Nutrition, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a legitimate nutrition scientist who’s even heard of it — and quackwatch.com cites it as a “fundamentally flawed” publication that has carried ads for “questionable potions, services, books, and/or publications.” (As far as I can tell, Perlmutter’s article in it is unavailable on any reputable scholarly database.)

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-21-20)
Old 10-22-20, 07:36 AM
Contributor

SashaBV has a spectacular aura aboutSashaBV has a spectacular aura about

I've kept as low on sugar as I can, because of a diabetic grandparent. So no, sugar is very much in control for me, and not contributing to my ADD. ADD is more of a hereditary problem in my case. It runs in my family and I had it from a very early age.
Old 10-22-20, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,892 Times in 12,950 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar certainly contributes to hyperactivity for some.

But adhd is about a lot more than just hyperactivity.

Research has been done that shows that sugar does NOT cause adhd.

Check for info from Dr. Russell Barkley.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me