ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-12, 03:49 PM

unfinishedwork is on a distinguished road
Caffeine addiction??

I consume a lot of caffeine daily, and I know my body is physically addicted. Coffee has to be consumed in the morning, up to 3 cups. Diet coke, red bull, anything. I was on Concerta and didn't notice much of a difference with it. It was just normal.

I did not react well with coffee and Vyvanse very well at all, my heart rate was insane and I was antsy and jitterly like I had take a pack of caffeine pills. So, in regards I decided today I would not consume any caffeine and my heart rate is normal, and I feel well. The same.

THE ONLY DOWN SIDE IS THIS MASSIVE HEADACHE. It's driving me nuts. I drank a ton of water like I usually do, and had some caffeine free peppermint tea. It's in my best interest, long term even, to discontinue my use of this drug because I obviously have a huge dependence on it.

Has anyone quit caffeine? How long (if any) were the withdraw symptoms? I do feel like energized and more sluggish, but it wasn't worth being so antsy for 80 mgs that left me feeling crazy for 14 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to unfinishedwork For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-05-12)
Old 10-05-12, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,820 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Caffeine addiction??

i get bad head aches if i don't have any coffee. Maybe try weaning yourself off slowly. Reduce the amount of caffeine you are having gradually. For me usually just one or two mugs of coffee help keeping away the withdrawal symptoms though normally i have much more than that. Maybe you can experiment on how much caffeine you really need right now and then reduce it slowly. Or try switching to healthier forms like tea or even better green tea. I hate the taste of green tea but it becomes more tolerable if i Add a tea bag of mint or some other herbal tea to my green tea.

By the way caffeine in moderate amounts isn't unhealthy.
Old 10-05-12, 08:24 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to quit coffee too but as the OP mentioned, the headaches are terrible! I also like the smell and taste of it, it's very enjoyable to have a mug in the morning especially now that it's cold. Peppermint tea just doesn't cut it....coffee wakes me up, tea puts me back to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-12, 06:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,200 Times in 15,402 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you're dependent not addicted. To me (unless I'm wrong ) addiction is like standing on the corner to find a dealer for your fix or doctor shopping. Do you think you could cut down rather than quit?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Raye (10-07-12)
Old 10-06-12, 06:49 AM

Thanked 5,671 Times in 2,440 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

My DH has been trying to break his coffee addiction for years. His parents thought it was a good idea to get him drinking coffee when he was only 7 coz he didn't like tea and he was expected to have a hot drink (WTF is wrong with a glass of warm milk I ask??????)

Anyway the only way he can do it is by cutting down gradually coz of the migraines and we seem to go through this endless process of him being in coffee withdrawal mode.

One time he got off it completely so what did his parents do? The bought him a b***** coffee!!!!!
Old 10-06-12, 09:21 PM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold

I was addicted to caffeine when I was around 16 years old , I used to drink around 8l of cola and 1L to 2L of coffee (Which here is way stronger than american coffee).

I had to stop due to health problems , it wasn't too hard... the only drug easier to quit was marijuana (I've been addicted to a lot of stuff from 16 to 20), the headaches will go away soon (2 or 3 days), you can ask a doctor for a headache medicine it'll help.

Even if the vyvanse is acting just like the caffeine , a huge amount of caffeine is not healthy , it's safer and healthier to take 1 pill instead of so much caffeine.

You can fell a little lazy during the abstinence but it will pass as quickly as the headache, other than that you'll experience much less jittery and fast heart with vynvanse only.

Remember also that a really strong headache can be indicative of some serious side effects from vyvanse so if you fell a really really strong headache and you think that you are able to take a sip of coffee without coming back to being addicted (think a lot about it, if you can't handle it's not worthy) , take it and if goes away great, all good just don't drink more coffee, but if it don't go away or if you can't do that and it don't go away , go see a doctor and explain about the vyvanse and the headache.

Good Luck.

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SweetCode For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-06-12), unfinishedwork (10-07-12)
Old 10-07-12, 06:36 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

I can say I'm dependant on caffeine. I get headaches and the shakes and generally feel 'blah' without it. Sorry, don't have any advice on quitting. Caffeine isn't illegal (yet) lol so I don't have any plans on quitting.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
Old 10-07-12, 06:52 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Iīve quit caffeine twice in my life, both times when I was pregnant and I suffered the worst headaches ever, they are so painful but this only lasts about 4 days. I swore I wouldnīt go back to caffeine but I did.

I hadnīt noticed how much caffeine I consumed until one day the waiter at my usual bar said "you always need a pick me up donīt you"? I looked surprised and then he said "you are smoking, drinking red bull and coffee and you do it every day"!

However since starting concerta this week, I donīt feel the need for coffee, coke, cigarettes etc and Iīm hoping it will last because it makes me so jittery.