ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 07-11-12, 05:00 PM

faye64 has a spectacular aura aboutfaye64 has a spectacular aura about
Question Concerta generic?

Hi,
I'm new here and would like some input on a concern. (Sorry if this is long.) I've been on Concerta for about 3 years. 54mg is the dosage that works best for me. A few months ago, I noticed it had a generic name, so I asked the pharmacist about it. He said Concerta had just recently become available in generic form.

I really don't think I'm imagining it, but I don't think the generic works. With the name brand, I would start feeling the effects within about 30 minutes to an hour. With the generic I felt nothing. Today I asked my doctor to write my Rx for 'name brand necessary.' When I got it filled, I saw the bottle from which it came, and it was labeled 'Concerta,' so I know I recieved what I wanted. I'll give it a few days to see if I notice a difference.

The tablet looks exactly like the generic. It's reddish and has 'alza 54' printed on it. I can't find much definitive information on the web about it. It seems like it might be made by the same company, but the way the medication releases is different. I wish I'd looked closely at a tablet from a Rx before I got generic so I could compare them. If anyone here knows if there's a difference in the actual medicine, please let me know. I appreciate any help you can give.

Fay (I had to use an e because the screen name had to be at least 6 characters.)

ps. I'm in the USA. Some of the websites I saw were about the Canadian generic, but I'm just wondering about the one from here.)
Old 08-19-12, 10:14 PM

Leonhart is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta generic?

Quite frankly from all of my research there really isn't a "generic" just different marketing. The "generic" and the "brand name" Concerta really are the exact same pill.