ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-18-11, 09:44 AM

fabgrrl is on a distinguished road
Taking Venlafaxine, should I try for Adderall?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with switching from Venlafaxine/Effexor to Adderall or something similar.

I've only been taking Venlafaxine 25 mg for six days now. So, I doubt it has any real effect yet. After one week I am supposed to double my dosage. I was surprised that my psychiatrist prescribed this. I've never heard of it, but from what I've read so far, it seems like rather hardcore and I'm a little afraid of it.

I don't know if I have ADHD. If I do, it is the inattentive type, I'm not hyperactive in the least and never have been. I visited a psychiatrist because I cannot concentrate or focus at all, can't remember anything and I'm distracted. I feel very indifferent to my children, or irritated by everything they do. My office and home are an absolute disaster and I am messing up at my job.

But maybe this is hypothyroidism? Right before I saw the psychiatrist, I asked the Nurse-Midwife I see for my Annual to order a thyroid test. My TSH was 5.85. So I brought this to my PCP. He really doesn't think it is hypothyroidism, but gave me a prescription for Levothyroxine, 25mcg, just to get me to leave him alone. Two years ago I asked him for a thyroid test, and he said it was normal. I finally got the results from that test, 4.7, which is slightly high.

I should mention that I had a baby a little over a year ago, and I know that can kick off hypothyroidism.

So I started taking the Venlafaxine and Levothyroxine at the same time, six days ago. I take them first thing in the morning, and don't eat for an hour. So far, so good. I think I feel a little better, but I doubt the medications have really started to kick in yet.

The thing that scares me about Venlafaxine are the side effects, specifically:
- Loss of libido
- Weight gain
- Addition/withdrawal symptoms

Loss of libido and unexplained weight gain are part of what made me think hypothyroidism in the first place. I don't want something that is going to aggravate those conditions. Also I don't want to be on something that I can't quit - in case my husband and I decide to have another baby in a few years.

In college I took Xanax and Paxil for "depression" and "social anxiety", although I don't know if those were accurate analyses. I hated the Paxil, it made me a zombie and took away my libido. I also tried Wellbutirn for a while, but I don't think it did anything.

My psychiatrist gave me Venlafaxine to "help with concentration". I'm wondering if I should try for something like Concerta, or a stimulant like Adderall or Vyvanse? In the past, I've used caffeine, nicotine and even sudafed to help me focus and concentrate. I don't want to gain any more weight or lose what little sex drive I have, and I'd heard that Adderall can help with both of those things. Or maybe I should skip the ADHD meds for a while and pursue the hypothyroidism angle, even if my PCP is reluctant to help me.

In the past I have been able to "escape" when things get rough: take time off college, change my major, change jobs, leave relationships, etc. Now I am married, with two kids and a great career. I can't "leave", I have to find a way to make it work.