ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 04-17-19, 09:37 PM
Jr Member

coulditbeme is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin for Anxiety, Depression and ADHD? Experiences with any of it?

I'm a guy and I'm experiencing the lovely trio of depression, anxiety and ADHD. You can understand my sarcasm when I say it is fully enjoyable.

I'm taking an SSRI now and I haven't taken an ADHD med in many years. I'm really not fond of stimulants.

Has anyone taken Wellbutrin for any of these things? The SSRI's work but the side effects (hunger, lack of interest in sex, etc) really aren't great. They also do nothing for my ADHD.

Any relevant opinions would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-19, 01:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,984 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wellbutrin for Anxiety, Depression and ADHD? Experiences with any of it?

Wellbutrin works wonders for my chronic depression, but it doesn't do a thing for my anxiety nor my ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 04-18-19, 11:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My husband takes it for depression but it helps with the adhd as well.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-19, 12:29 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Wellbutrin works wonders for my chronic depression, but it doesn't do a thing for my anxiety nor my ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
This was my experience. In fact, at times it seemed to make my anxiety worse.
Old 04-18-19, 09:11 PM
Jr Member

coulditbeme is on a distinguished road

What have the folks in question done to help with the anxiety?
Old 04-19-19, 05:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,984 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulditbeme View Post
What have the folks in question done to help with the anxiety?
Mindfulness, and when that fails, lorazepam.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 08:07 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I only recently began to accept the fact that I have clinical anxiety. Still researching Solutions at this point. I honestly had lived my life up to this point thinking it was just associated with my ADHD, but the more time goes by the more I realize it's its own separate issue.
aeon (04-21-19)
Old 04-22-19, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulditbeme View Post
Has anyone taken Wellbutrin for any of these things?
Wellbutrin didn't seem to have much of an effect on me, beside making my hands tremor, so I stopped taking it. It's viewed as a "stimulating antidepressant," so it probably won't help with anxiety. It's more for giving you energy, if you're currently depressed.

It's generally viewed as a 3rd or 4th line treatment for ADHD. In other words, it generally doesn't help with ADHD, but you might find an occasional success story here and there.
Old 04-30-19, 08:01 PM

tbrtt1 is on a distinguished road

A little late to this party, but I have taken Wellbutrin for 25+ years. Works wonders for my depression. Helped with my ADHD initially when I was in my 20s but as my career advanced and responsibilities mounted, I needed a stimulant. I was hesitant at first but have been on stims for many years now and thank god.

I recently had some anxiety issues that were not constant but something I had not had before. It was work related and my p-doc prescribed 5 mg valium as needed. The work issue has been mostly resolved (started a new job!) but I had many years of success in my career in what I was doing so this move is still within the realm of what my career has been but still a bit of a change. I am needing the valium less and less, almost not at all.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but in short, you have a trio of issues and it's not likely one single med will take care of all 3. I do not have sexual side effects with Wellbutrin, or any other except for insomnia the first few weeks.

Find a doc that will work with you on the stimulants. Mine was willing to try several different ones and dosages since i really needed them. Not sure what to tell you on the anxiety. My seemed to be mostly work related, thankfully.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbrtt1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-30-19), Little Missy (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 03:51 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Wellbutrin Just Made Me Angry

For many years before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I was only treated for atypical depression, for which I tried various drugs including Wellbutrin. Twice.

Both times Wellbutrin made me too angry and snappish to consider whether it was helping my depressive or ADHD symptoms.

But Adderall helped both my depression and ADHD.
Old 05-02-19, 03:43 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

I've been on Wellbutrin for for only 5 months now. First 150mg extended release and now 300mg extended release. It certainly helped my anxiety and depression. Did not do anything noticeable for concentration. In fact, now I can't focus on a task and don't care about it anymore either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-02-19)
Old 05-16-19, 06:55 AM

Shockcar is on a distinguished road

I found forcing myself to be productive is the best way to deal with depression or anxiety. There are a articles that give tips for anxiety.