ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-03-15, 08:25 PM

o TX o is on a distinguished road
Re: Starting to get really angry. 7 months off Adderall and I'm still withdrawing.

I'm getting off Adderall starting tomorrow. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Anyone have suggestions on energy apart from the amphetamines.
Old 09-04-15, 09:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

bldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the rough
Re: Starting to get really angry. 7 months off Adderall and I'm still withdrawing.

[quote=51now;1752488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie80 View Post
but I do have both ADD and GAD, along with a predisposition for depression. It has never worked for me to go without meds entirely, or only treat one condition. A lot of people come off of stimulants and actually feel less anxiety, but everyone is different. Anxiety can definitely cause anhedonia, and unfortunately Vyvanse and/or Adderall can mask an anxiety disorder or depression extremely well, with discontinuing a stimulant being all the more difficult for those with such tendencies. It's not uncommon for ADDers to have an anxiety or depressive condition as a comorbid condition. However, many doctors today treat anxiety with SSRI or SSNI medication...a course of treatment I often don't agree with, based on the problems and side effects associated with many of those meds.
Lizzie, You say you have ADD, GAD along with a predisposition to depression, but don't agree with treating anxiety with SSRI or SSNI meds.Was wondering what you do treat your condidtions with?
Maybe I didn't post this right the first time,Not separating the quote from my question to you Lizzie 80.Or maybe you did not catch it or you did not what to share that information. If so that's ok, but just wanted to try asking you again.What meds do you take for your condidtions?
Thanks. 51now
Old 10-19-15, 04:51 AM

a6z6nhd2zq@cts. is on a distinguished road

I think you need to talk to your Dr--adderall withdrawal usually is minimal for me. I ran out 2 days ago (moved to a new area and won't get to see a new Dr for a couple weeks) after taking it daily for nearly 3 days without a break.

Day 1--I was a slug--laid around, unfocused and disorganized--slept 16 of 24 hours, ate 4000 calories--including an entire pizza.

Day 2--slept in until noon---but when I got up, I exercised, showered, did errands, checked my mail. I have stayed up--no naps. Yes--my ADD is back--I couldn't find my grocery list, forgot to buy half what I needed etc--but that is to be expected. I ate pretty normally--maybe a little more than usual.

Within 5 days, the extra hunger and tiredness should be gone. I will be a mess until I am medicated, but can't blame that on adderall.

I have never heard of Adderall causing brain damage--you should seek a neurologist and find out what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-15, 06:14 PM

a6z6nhd2zq@cts. is on a distinguished road

ooops I have taken 3 years without break not 3 days. Damn ADD
Old 10-19-15, 07:38 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,974 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
So I talked to my doctor and told him about what I was going through. He said it could honestly take up to a year until I'm better. But yeah I was prescribed only 20mgs a day. Well that and Vyvanse...and yeah I rarely abused it...I did sometimes but I mean rarely.... *sigh* if it's really something else going on I can't imagine what it would be. Just gonna be patient and trust what my doctor says...
You've already heard what it would be. I'm pretty sure your imagination isn't faulty, so I guess you just weren't listening.

Stop smoking pot. Take a vitamin supplement if it helps you. Be completely honest with your doctor.

Have you done all that already?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 10-19-15, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

dvd, you're the one not listening to him. You have all these preconceived notions. This is an honest guy with a real problem. I know meds can be controversial, but don't let that get in the way of helping people. Listen and really hear what they're saying.
I'd be surprised if this guy came back to this place after the responses he got.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
ZayKayWill (10-28-15)
Old 10-20-15, 09:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,149 Times in 15,375 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
So I talked to my doctor and told him about what I was going through. He said it could honestly take up to a year until I'm better. But yeah I was prescribed only 20mgs a day. Well that and Vyvanse...and yeah I rarely abused it...I did sometimes but I mean rarely.... *sigh* if it's really something else going on I can't imagine what it would be. Just gonna be patient and trust what my doctor says...
But.. abusing it at all is an issue. And no offense but addicts will admit to "mild" recreational or "light" abuse- the actual truth is a different story.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-20-15, 09:43 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,149 Times in 15,375 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
dvd, you're the one not listening to him. You have all these preconceived notions. This is an honest guy with a real problem. I know meds can be controversial, but don't let that get in the way of helping people. Listen and really hear what they're saying.
I'd be surprised if this guy came back to this place after the responses he got.
This guy talks about smoking pot and abusing his medication. Im sorry if I dont sound nicer when I respond to him.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-20-15, 02:09 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,974 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
No, meds cannot be controversial, except with people who have not learned anything about them or are abusing them. Amphetamine withdrawal, if there is any, is over within a few days. I hear what the OP is saying. He is making some very big mistakes, and I'm doing my best to show him that and to help him understand. He keeps insisting that those are his favorite mistakes and he doesn't want to understand.

It is my responsibility to treat him with due courtesy and respect. It is not my responsibility to agree with his mistakes.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (10-20-15)
Old 11-12-19, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future

[quote=bldt;1752939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51now View Post

Maybe I didn't post this right the first time,Not separating the quote from my question to you Lizzie 80.Or maybe you did not catch it or you did not what to share that information. If so that's ok, but just wanted to try asking you again.What meds do you take for your condidtions?
Thanks. 51now
I'm sorry, for some reason I never got the notification of your post above asking me this question.

I am prescribed a low dose of Valium for my anxiety. With Vyvanse managing my ADD and Valium relieving much of my GAD, I have found my depression is mostly relieved as well. I am perhaps either very lucky that this is the case, or enough brain balance is achieved by these two medications alone that at this time, I don't require an antidepressant. I must add that this is only my experience, and I do not want to imply it will work for all or most people.

I have been on both SSRIs (Paxil and Zoloft), and an SNRI (Cymbalta). The SSRIs either caused excessive weight gain with mental fogginess (definitely NOT what the ADDer needs!), or made me feel emotionally flat and off-kilter. Cymbalta made me get the classic Black Box Warning problem - suicidal kdeation and night terrors. The FDA puts that warning on the box for a reason. I tried all of these prior to getting diagnosed with ADD, and therefore I can't speak on how SSRI or SNRI meds would work with Vyvanse.

Note: I was on Valium for anxiety for several years prior to my ADD diagnosis. So my partial cause of anxiety was relieved by that, I'm assuming because Valium works through GABA. I'm saddened that many people who could have much of their anxiety relieved by a straight shooter benzodiazapene are instead being treated with medications (such as antipsychotics) ill-designed for that, ones full of potential dangers and side effects worse than what a low-dose benzo can do. I've been on Valium 11 years and have never had my dosage raised. Untreated GAD can be just as dangerous as taking a benzo.

The standard advice of treating depression before treating ADD didn't work for me. ADD ended up being a huge part of my depression and anxiety. YMMV.
scubaboy6834 (12-07-19)
Old 12-07-19, 10:08 PM

scubaboy6834 is on a distinguished road

[quote=Lizzie80;2021526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldt View Post

I'm sorry, for some reason I never got the notification of your post above asking me this question.

I am prescribed a low dose of Valium for my anxiety. With Vyvanse managing my ADD and Valium relieving much of my GAD, I have found my depression is mostly relieved as well. I am perhaps either very lucky that this is the case, or enough brain balance is achieved by these two medications alone that at this time, I don't require an antidepressant. I must add that this is only my experience, and I do not want to imply it will work for all or most people.

I have been on both SSRIs (Paxil and Zoloft), and an SNRI (Cymbalta). The SSRIs either caused excessive weight gain with mental fogginess (definitely NOT what the ADDer needs!), or made me feel emotionally flat and off-kilter. Cymbalta made me get the classic Black Box Warning problem - suicidal kdeation and night terrors. The FDA puts that warning on the box for a reason. I tried all of these prior to getting diagnosed with ADD, and therefore I can't speak on how SSRI or SNRI meds would work with Vyvanse.

Note: I was on Valium for anxiety for several years prior to my ADD diagnosis. So my partial cause of anxiety was relieved by that, I'm assuming because Valium works through GABA. I'm saddened that many people who could have much of their anxiety relieved by a straight shooter benzodiazapene are instead being treated with medications (such as antipsychotics) ill-designed for that, ones full of potential dangers and side effects worse than what a low-dose benzo can do. I've been on Valium 11 years and have never had my dosage raised. Untreated GAD can be just as dangerous as taking a benzo.

The standard advice of treating depression before treating ADD didn't work for me. ADD ended up being a huge part of my depression and anxiety. YMMV.
Similar situation here. I completely agree with your last paragraph--the benzo-hatred is out of hand, and the dangers of antipsychotics are completely downplayed. They are handed out like candy now for issues that have nothing to do with psychosis. Akathisia is a very common "side" effect of the antipsychotic drugs, and is especially dangerous for someone with anxiety, panic, or depression issues. SNRIs and SSRIs (also handed out like candy) can cause akathisia as well, particularly in individuals with low dopamine like ADHD/ADD people.

I was very lucky to find a psychiatrist who is not one of the growing numbers of "no benzos, ever" sorts. My ADHD and GAD, like yours, have been helped so much by the stimulant + low dose benzodiazepine combo, and that has taken away unipolar depression (which was never helped by antidepressants, which also caused a host of bad side effects and worsened anhedonia AND anxiety). I haven't had to raise my benzodiazepine dose either since I started on this regimen several years ago.

The hardest part for me was finding the right benzodiazepine and stimulant. Within each class of drugs, I found some had widely differing effects from each other. I'm glad I stuck it out to find the ones that worked best for me.

ETA: I don't mean to come off as anti-anti-depressants (or even against antipsychotics for those who have psychosis and are informed of all the potential long-term dangers, such as extrapyramidal symptoms and metabolic issues). Some people, ADHD or not, find relief from an SSRI/SNRI, and do not respond well to benzos. But there are others whose anxiety issues (and the resulting depression) only responds to benzodiazepines, so a blanket refusal to prescribe an entire class of relief-bringing medications makes no sense.

Last edited by scubaboy6834; 12-07-19 at 10:35 PM..