ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 01-16-19, 08:30 PM
Forum Guru

Hathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished road
Using reading glasses as a buffer against social anxiety

I simply dread passing people on the sidewalk, im friendly, but when my SA is ramped up, [like lately], I cant bring myself to say hi to other friendly people.

busy sidewalks are ok, but one lone pedestrian half a block away wiggs me out. sometimes I even cross the street when i dont need to in these cases.

Recently I was wondering if wearing my reading glasses would work like the "how now brown cow" anti stuttering device shown on "Thats Incredible", where the stutterer wears hearing aid like plugs that distort their own voice, which makes it so they dont wigg out and stutter.

Seeing their face in a blur really takes the edge off. I can see just well enough to see where they are looking, or at least take a good guess, but the piercing eye contact is blunted

After trying a couple of times today I suspect there may be significant help in this.

found one person on redit claiming similar results, but seems more like a pseudo sun glass effect.

I have long found sunglasses useful in this, but i think reading glasses may be better.

Quote:
So I'm a 26 year old female and I had my very first eye exam a few weeks ago. Turns out I need glasses. I never would have imagined this, but wearing glasses feels like putting a slight barrier between other people and myself. I don't know how to explain it, but for some reason it feels like my face and eyes are less exposed which makes me feel less vulnerable. Can anyone else relate to this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hathor For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-16-19), stef (01-17-19)
Old 01-17-19, 02:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,609 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using reading glasses as a buffer against social anxiety

I hide behind my glasses a lot. It does feel like there is a barrier and I am less anxious. I really love sunglasses but it's cold and snowy here. Truth be told, I would probably be most comfortable in a burqa. My whole body would be covered so I wouldn't worry about that and only my eyes would be showing so I would really feel less vulnerable- I think. I'm a Christian in the US so that isn't going to happen.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Hathor (01-20-19)
Old 01-17-19, 03:05 AM

Thanked 27,249 Times in 13,223 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not comfortable wearing my reading glasses when walking outside, I feel like I'm going to trip and fall (sometimes I forget to remove them, if I've been reading on the train...)

and it's not often bright enough for sunglasses; but actually this is a really good idea for bad days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-17-19), Hathor (01-20-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-19, 09:40 AM
Forum Guru

Hathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished road

trouble is im so busy enjoying the improvement to 'SA and the resulting feeling of safety that i think i may forgot I cant really see where the heck im going and end up tripping or even running into another person.

only trouble so far was jumping off a ladder with 35 extra pounds of blubber on my torso, a little bit higher than you thought makes a huge diff with such blubber.

Regarding the positive effects of wearing reading glasses while walking in public - Im even more sold now. 2 days ago i broke my reading glasses, and forgot about breaking them till i sat down in the library and got my devices all plugged in and myself comfy.

could sort of see my screen but it was not the same, so i kept 'accidentally' looking at people passing by and getting all wigged out. Not long before I was packed up and off to dollarama.

Old 01-25-19, 07:19 AM

Winchpac is on a distinguished road

This person will adapt after one week of utilisation when she'll feel like having nothing on her nose.
Sunglasses stay the best solution for obvious reasons : you know they can't see you.
Old 02-01-19, 11:31 PM
Forum Guru

sunglasses and a bike are the best.

Old 02-02-19, 04:27 AM

Thanked 27,249 Times in 13,223 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I wore sunglasses the other day, it was really bright out and I remembered this thread

I freaked out though, because the electronic display on my watch was so dark and blurry

again: sunglasses are NOT reading glasses.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Hathor (02-02-19)