ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 05-30-10, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Re: how does ADD affect your cooking?

I have never, ever, followed a recipe, to its exactness.
Either I add, something, or forget, to add, something required.
And the cooking times, never, ever, come out, as, per recipe.

But I have, made, some fabulous dishes, in spite, of.

Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 08-19-10, 08:22 PM

Aleksandrapanda is on a distinguished road

Hmm... when I cook (if I can motivate myself to) it normally means that I'll TRY to follow a recipe... but then get bored halfway through and just randomly throw **** in as I go... >>

It normally comes out good.... though sometimes my meat comes out underdone because I was too impatient...

Baking is really good though because it's so quick and satisfying.
Old 11-11-10, 01:52 AM
Jr Member

savanah is on a distinguished road

Gosh..I have all of the negative qualities listed...My kids used to say, "Mom's cooking" when the smoke detector went off. Especially garlic toast...I don't get how anyone doesn't burn that!

I can't even begin to consider cooking untill the kitchen is entirely clean. Then I must have some sort of recipe. I can spend two hours on Recipe.com choosing a dish, and maybe a side dish, then reading reviews of said dish(s)...so I know how to change it up a little.

Then another good while locating and gathering ingredients. About this time I start to feel the stressful pressure of it all. I spend a while more figuring out what to do first, second and so on...so that it might all be finished in close proximity.

Finally, I begin. Try as I might; I can not stick to the original plan of "changing the recipe up"...it's as if I have no control over this. Oh, also, I sometimes forget how many measuring cups or spoons of this or that I have added.

Then, looking haggard and exhausted, and feeling grumpy, after two hours or so in front of the stove it's done. I'm not hungry anymore. I guess, when it's not burnt, it usually tastes good. I work very hard to wash up, and put stuff away as I go. But, in the end it's a mess anyway.

Then it takes another hour to get the kitchen clean again. The whole ordeal takes several hours, most times. I hate cooking!!! I don't get why my family expects me to do this!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-10, 03:11 AM

Thanked 1,612 Times in 790 Posts
Nifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanah View Post
Then it takes another hour to get the kitchen clean again. The whole ordeal takes several hours, most times. I hate cooking!!! I don't get why my family expects me to do this!
I spend hours in the kitchen, but I usually love it. I don't always manage to actually cook dinner, though. I love experimenting, feel very comfortable in the kitchen, and love trying to re-create traditional Western meals with Central Asian ingredients. But it took years to reach the point where most things I make are good.

I still go back and forth when I'm cooking: cookbook --> table --> sink --> fridge --> sink --> cookbook --> counter --> fridge --> table --> bedroom --> kids' room --> outside --> kitchen -- what was I doing? Feeling comfortable with cooking makes it a bit faster, though, because I don't need to look at the cookbook for every recipe (but when it's a new one, I still have to look every 2 seconds, 'cause I forgot what I just read). I burn or nearly-burn a lot of things, or I completely forget the salt. And the kitchen is a total mess when I'm done, but as long as I've made something edible, my DH does the washing up.

After nearly 10 years in the former USSR, the UK seems like a foreign country. I don't know who I'm meant to be or what I'm meant to do. So, at least some things haven't changed...
Ninja posts!
Old 11-29-10, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

erin_m is on a distinguished road

Firstly, sometimes I can't even work up enough motivation to get my butt off the couch and cook something, even if I'm starving. Then I'll just have a bowl of cereal for dinner yet again....

Also, if I get an idea for a new recipe, I just have to try it! I've made sloppy joes with the slivered potato type of hashbrowns and it tasted awesome and it was a good way to expand the amount of food without buying a ton of ground beef.

And whenever I bake cookies, the first dozen usually turns out overcooked/burnt on the bottom. My oven cooks stuff faster than what the recipe says, and I somehow lose this fact in my mind when I'm baking and don't check on my cookies soon enough.
Old 03-20-11, 03:07 PM

Shalimartian is on a distinguished road

I have a tendency to go for protein on the grill... T-bone, Rib Eye, almost ready to bleed.
Old 03-20-11, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

The first time I actually tried cooking for myself.....I failed miserably...

My cooking skills aren't so bad now. I've gotten the hang of it so far. Whenever I'm in the zone, I start referencing Emeril Lagasse.

Most of my inspiration for cooking comes from Giada De Laurentiis. She so good...at whatever she does best. I'm not sure what it is exactly (sarcastically) but I can watch her cook all day.

...mixing, and grinding ingredients are her specialties.....
Old 03-20-11, 10:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,208 Times in 677 Posts
C8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to behold

Lots of throwing in random things to try to make something better. I actually am not too bad of a cook. I do tend to make things way more spicy than most people enjoy, but I love it.
Old 06-27-11, 03:16 PM
Jr Member

emeeap is on a distinguished road

The first days of the week (monday to wednesday)I alsways make the same things, it is easier that way. My husband cooks thursday and sometimes in the weekend. When I have more time I like to try a new recipe. (friday). When I messed up it is take-out or freezerpizza. Thats about once a week.
Old 06-27-11, 03:22 PM
Forum ADDvocate

gerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I have never, ever, followed a recipe, to its exactness.
Either I add, something, or forget, to add, something required.
And the cooking times, never, ever, come out, as, per recipe.

But I have, made, some fabulous dishes, in spite, of.

Nova
Same here!
i looooove cooking, so i make something special every time
Raoul Duke: One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

I say no to drugs, but they donít listen.
G.
Old 07-20-11, 01:21 AM

MMetelli13 is on a distinguished road

Mine is affected in a negative way. My cooking ability is very limited (due to paycheck constraints, but aside from that) because I can't really keep a mindset on three course dishes because two of three turn out good and one comes out wrong. IOW, I can't make a meal per say, but I can make simple things as long as I have the directions right infront of me or nearby.

I don't think that last sentence is as much an ADHD thing as it is me not willing to remember the recipe in question.
Old 12-14-11, 05:44 AM
Jr Member

tsunamibrain is on a distinguished road

Im a chef for a living and i hate it, because of a million reasons.

Anyways im constantly zoning out and overcooking things and putting wrong ingredients in the wrongs dishes, mixing up orders, BUT

When i get really focused and feel like im actually being challenged im a wiz till i realise my knife isnt in my hand and i have someones elses and im notified because of the drastic difference in size and aiming for a towel to wipe the knife in my hand... i forget what i was saying sorry
Old 12-17-11, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamibrain View Post
Im a chef for a living and i hate it, because of a million reasons.
I do understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Anyways im constantly zoning out and overcooking things and putting wrong ingredients in the wrongs dishes, mixing up orders, BUT
If you are actually a chef, a hard job to get, you must have found a way to get around these problems?

Quote:
When i get really focused and feel like im actually being challenged im a wiz till i realise my knife isnt in my hand and i have someones elses and im notified because of the drastic difference in size and aiming for a towel to wipe the knife in my hand... i forget what i was saying sorry
Well, I'm computer scientist with ADHD. 100% of my pans have been burned.

A timer is your friend. And in terms of cutting, you have to get into safe habbits.

About cutting, that's scary. I have managed not to slice off any fingers so far knock on wood.
Old 12-23-11, 06:54 PM

Steven_Tyler77 will become famous soon enough

I hate cooking. It's boring and a waste of time. But I do need to eat something and I can't rely on junk-food because of my IBS. Usually my dishes are not that great-tasting, because I do not have patience to follow the recipe; most of the times, I simplify it, hence the loss of taste.

I always go for extremely simple dishes, like boiled/baked potatoes/vegetables and grilled meat. Eating out is so much better... too bad I don't always have the money to do so...
Old 01-03-12, 12:33 AM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

It affects my cooking to the point that ...omg...I soo DON'T Cook.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)