ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-26-04, 12:50 PM

isdom is on a distinguished road
Problems with Adderall after 4 years :(

I have been taking adderall for 4 years. It has been amazing. My current dosage is 30 mg per day. I take 15 to 20 in the morning and then 10 a few hours later. Because I have been on adderall for 4 years, I have built up somewhat of a tolerance. For the last 6 months or so I have been not taking adderall on the weekends and then will take an extra 10 or 20 on busy days.

Just in the last two weeks adderall seems to have stopped working for me. Instead of the normal adderall effects, I have slight dizzyness and stomach sickness. It feels alot like being car sick.

I am wondering are my adderall taking days over. Has my brain said enough is enough? Or possibly do I have a bad batch of adderall. Twice so far this month I have stopped taking adderall for 5 straight days. Then when I take it again, I get the same result. Anyone ever have anything like this happen to them.

thanks
Old 12-10-04, 05:03 PM

2d2 is on a distinguished road
I think all the generics and possibly brand underwent a change in 2003- 04. Don't expect a verification.
Old 12-11-04, 10:50 PM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
What was the change 2d2?

isdom
I know what you are saying I get to feeling really ill out of the blue occasionally too. It usually comes on as a pounding headache though. Like a migrane. It is interesting that you say the meds went under a change. Why wouldn't they notify the persons taking them. I can believe that because I've also been on adderall for a very long time. My boyfriend says that I'm not as 'cracked out' as I used to be but I don't feel like adderall is helping with my ADD much anymore either....Maybe tolerance?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 03:51 PM
Jr Member

spbizzy is on a distinguished road
I just got on Adderall and it's working wonders for me but you guys are SCARING ME!! I hope it always works for me.
Old 12-14-04, 04:05 PM

teddy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Sp~

Don't be scared. If Adderall works for you then that is great. You have to remember everybody has different effects to same meds. I take 20mg Adderall Xr at 6am and another 10mg Adderall Xr at 1pm. Now for somebody else that could be too much, maybe too little or do Nothing at all. It all depends on your body chemistry. I have found great results on Adderall Xr in a very short time of being dxed. Thank God for Adderall XR. My younger son is only 16 and takes 60mg Adderall XR at 6am and he is doing fine. See the big difference in our dosage and time taken, everybody is different. What one med works for some people another med won't and vice versa. Good Luck!
Old 12-14-04, 04:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
People take stimulants for years without having problems like this - most people. What else might be happening here? Any changes in your life or medication in other ways? This is not necessarily tolerence - for one thing any kind of physical tolerence will build up slowly, and not suddenly or "just in the last two weeks".
You have been increasing your doseage by 10 or 20 mg per day by not taking them on the weekends and "saving up" pills. You realize that taking too much of a stimulant is just as bad or worse than not taking any/enough, don't you? Perhaps you are taking more than you really need and this is having a negative effect? Research has shown that the positive effects that stimulants have on focus and attention, etc. don't diminish with time like some of the other side effects like heart rate and blood pressure. The effect of this is that it may FEEL like the drug is getting weaker because you don't notice your heart racing or feel as stimulated, but is may be just as effective, in reality. Is it possible this is what is happening to you?
At any rate, you should bring this up with your doctor - who knows, perhaps the problem stems from something else???
Good luck,
Greg
Old 07-31-06, 11:12 PM

sasdebosque is on a distinguished road
Adderall

I have been taking Adderall 30 mg for a year. It makes it possible to do my intensely multitask job. If I don't need it I don't take it because I like to wander around in my comfort zone at times.

I can't say I "feel it" in any way. No feelings of being high. I can eat normally, sleep at any time, take it or not, with no effort. In fact, if I am taking it I have noticed I can still be ADHD to an extent if I want to. The medication will only allow me to think in a focused way if I apply myself to the task. If I become overtired, the medication doesn't help me at all.

What it does for me is stop the impulsivity, help me to formulate a sentence before speaking, (gives me that fraction of a second delay to restructure instead of blurting out what I am really thinking.), and helps me to lock-into a process and all of the required functions I need to perform to complete the task.
The Following User Says Thank You to sasdebosque For This Useful Post:
cbassolympics (04-22-13)
Old 08-01-06, 11:16 AM

cajunguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
People take stimulants for years without having problems like this - most people.This is not necessarily tolerence - for one thing any kind of physical tolerence will build up slowly, and not suddenly or "just in the last two weeks".
You have been increasing your doseage by 10 or 20 mg per day by not taking them on the weekends and "saving up" pills. You realize that taking too much of a stimulant is just as bad or worse than not taking any/enough, don't you? Perhaps you are taking more than you really need and this is having a negative effect? Research has shown that the positive effects that stimulants have on focus and attention, etc. don't diminish with time like some of the other side effects like heart rate and blood pressure. The effect of this is that it may FEEL like the drug is getting weaker because you don't notice your heart racing or feel as stimulated, but is may be just as effective, in reality. Is it possible this is what is happening to you?
At any rate, you should bring this up with your doctor - who knows, perhaps the problem stems from something else???
Good luck,
Greg
With all due respect to the Mod, I respectfully disagree with what he said completely. I wouldn't be so quick to place blame on isdom in regards to something like this. He never said his tolerance developed suddenly in two weeks I'm not sure where that came from but it wasn't from isdom. Obviously, 30mg a day wasn't suffice for him and you gotta admit, that after 4 years of taking the medication, that this is a substantionally small dose. So the appropriate thing to do here would be to increase the dosage. The reason one would stop taking it for a few days so as to enable him/her to use that surplus the other days is because subconsciously his brain is saying that it needs more stimulation on the neurons to elicit the same effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
Research has shown that the positive effects that stimulants have on focus and attention, etc. don't diminish with time like some of the other side effects like heart rate and blood pressure. The effect of this is that it may FEEL like the drug is getting weaker because you don't notice your heart racing or feel as stimulated, but is may be just as effective, in reality.

That's to say then that you shouldn't never actually build up a viable tolerance to amphetamines even after taking them for four years as isdom had reported. And it's not that the drug effects is feeling like it's getting weaker, rather, it's that the drug's effect has diminished to where it possesses no more efficacy than a placebo. I respectfully disagree with automatically placing the guilt/blame on the person rather than the amphetamine medication. Especially when one's reported taking a low dose of the stuff for more than a couple years on end. And Adderall is famous for having this effect of no longer working at all on people. It happened to me which ultimately caused me to switch to Desoxyn.

All I'm trying to say here Gregster is lighten up a little and don't be so quick to place the blame on the person rather than the medication. Because the research such as that you paraphrased, is VERY subjective and misleading and doesn't even apply to some if not many.

I remember when Adderall quit working for me completely. I was taking 4 30mg of the stuff to no effect. I was taking 3 20mg tabs a day for years and suddenly it quit working and no matter how much I increased my dosage, the fact remained that the efficacy was completely lost. It was utterly amazing to me with which the speed it no longer had any effect mentally. This was back during when it was name brand only and in instant release only form. And that's when my psychiatrist elected to put me on Desoxyn.

So this isn't an uncommon occurance if this happens to happen to you. And it's worth pointing out that increasing the dosage won't necessesarily be the remedy to the situation. It might be time to switch to another medication altogether so that's something to remember if ever you find yourself crossing this exact same bridge.
Old 12-18-08, 04:13 AM

ElecTrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Problems with Adderall after 4 years :(

I absolutely agree with you happened to my on vyvanse ritalan and adderall. I just took a "vacation" The vyvanse and ritalin are worthless still but atleast the AD has regained some effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElecTrick For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (09-11-11)
Old 09-11-11, 03:19 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecTrick View Post
I absolutely agree with you happened to my on vyvanse ritalan and adderall. I just took a "vacation" The vyvanse and ritalin are worthless still but atleast the AD has regained some effect.
Thanks for your post, would you mind elaborating? why is ritalin worthless now? how long did you take ritalin, and why don't you think it works anymore?
Old 09-11-11, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

This is freaky! If Adderall stops working I'll be in deep ****!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Babyd19 (04-22-13)
Old 04-20-13, 04:27 AM

MaxFunkee is on a distinguished road

I've been prescribed 40 mg instant release a day for four years and have had the same problem. My body/mind thinks it's normal and doesn't respond excited like it use it. You need to stop for >month to get back the old effects, which become tolerated after about a couple days.
Old 04-22-13, 12:35 AM

cbassolympics is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdebosque View Post

What it does for me is stop the impulsivity, help me to formulate a sentence before speaking, (gives me that fraction of a second delay to restructure instead of blurting out what I am really thinking.), and helps me to lock-into a process and all of the required functions I need to perform to complete the task.
COMPLETELY off topic to the original post but i just wanted to share this haha. What you said, is exactly the same experience I have with Adderall. My mind would be racing with thoughts mid-conversation, and I would blurt out sentences. I've always had trouble communicating because what is going on in my head, doesnt always translate in a comprehensive way, when I speak. This had caused me a lot of social anxiety, but now that im adderall, I cant focus better on the conversation and communicate my ideas better.
Old 10-21-16, 02:03 PM

tytus39 is on a distinguished road

so... if I take vymase and or ritalin for a couple of months instead of adderall, will my adderall work better again?
Old 10-22-16, 03:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,319 Times in 15,454 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus39 View Post
so... if I take vymase and or ritalin for a couple of months instead of adderall, will my adderall work better again?
Can you elaborate more on your question?

I carried a watermelon?