ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-13-11, 08:19 PM
Jr Member

tergesa is on a distinguished road
Does eating really make Vyvanse more effective?

I've been on Vyvanse since February. 30mg the first month, bumped up to 50. It completely takes away my appetite and any desire to eat, so I just don't really eat much at all. I've noticed a decrease in the efficacy of the drug over the past month or so and I don't want to increase my dose for the third time in as many months.

Does eating really help make this drug more effective? My doctor says it does, but I'd rather hear it from the experts (actual patients on the drug).

Thanks!
Old 05-13-11, 08:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

jennsation will become famous soon enough
Re: Does eating really make Vyvanse more effective?

I've been having a a really hard time making myself eating (I've been on Vyvanse for 1 week...) but I've also been having trouble with inconsistency with the medicine working. I've been told by a few people on Vyvanse (both on the board here, and people I know from work and family) that my lack of food is one of the problems. (It, along with getting enough sleep are things I need to work on.)

So from what I've been told by others on Vyvanse, yes...it's important.
The Following User Says Thank You to jennsation For This Useful Post:
tergesa (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 08:36 PM

corbykins is an unknown quantity at this point

thats interesting i had not heard about that. i know with adderall its the other way around not eating tends to make it more effective. i switched to vyvanse a couple weeks ago its not very effective for me not sure im at a high enough dose...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 08:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Eating foods rich in protein seems to potentiate the effects of Vyvanse, at least for me. And a can of Diet Coke with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
tergesa (05-13-11)
Old 05-14-11, 03:11 PM

oxford09 is on a distinguished road

I just started the 30mg Vyvanse once a day. So far it pretty much annihilates my appetite, but when I do force myself to eat something it seems to make it more potent for sure.
Old 05-14-11, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

From experience, I feel protein does potentiate Vyvanse, BUT more importantly, not eating decreases the effectiveness of any stimulant if it is used daily. If your body is not nourished non of the positive effects will show. Hunger can mimic ADHD symptms even on meds (usually worse on them for me). Lack of focus, lethargy, irritabily, Vyvanse won't cure those symptoms if you don't have a healthy lifestyle. EAT AND SLEEP ADHDers!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
ccrose (05-26-11), jennsation (05-15-11), tergesa (05-15-11)
Old 05-17-11, 11:14 PM

werperry is on a distinguished road

I've been on Vyvanse for 2 yrs now... 30mg (sometimes 60mg)... without a doubt eating protien in the morning helps tremendously.

I went through a period where I didn't eat... at all. I was so bad I started getting light-headed, and dizzy.

The med all but destroys your appetite... you need to eat, especially breakfast.
The Following User Says Thank You to werperry For This Useful Post:
tergesa (05-18-11)
Old 05-18-11, 07:16 PM

fliparagon is on a distinguished road

Agree with the above poster. Not only eating a protein focused breakfast, but also making sure you are remembering to eat THROUGHOUT the day, even if you THINK you aren't hungry.

What I found that helps is to place set an alarm (or calendar notice on your computer) to remind yourself to eat something, regardless of whether or not you THINK you're hungry. Again, make sure you get some protein in you.

Also, make sure you drink lots of water.
Old 05-23-11, 10:49 PM
Jr Member

mlagore is on a distinguished road

Was not told this by my doctor, maybe thats why it doesn't seen to last more than 6 hours. I thought by taking it on an empty stomach would increase the effect. Its all starting to make sense now. I will def start with protein in the morning when i take my dose and see how it works. This gives me hope now. Was going to ask dr to give me a booster in the afternoon, but might not need to now!
Old 05-26-11, 05:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough

I haven't been on vyvanse very long but this is what my doctor told me. It is more dependent on your metabolism than what you eat. HOWEVER, if it kills your appetite so that you drastically reduce your food intake (especially quickly) that will effect your reaction to the medication in 2 ways: your body metabolism changes in response to the decrease in calories, therefore changing how you initially responded to the medication, and as the other poster said, not getting enough calories will mimic ADHD symptoms.

Try if at all possible to snack throughout the day. This will help. I am struggling with the lowered appetite also, but if I force myself to drink a protein shake or eat some fruit then I find it easier to eat "normal" food since that seems to stoke my appetite. Good luck!
Old 05-26-11, 08:14 PM

MikeRI is on a distinguished road

Maybe that explains why I've been feeling so ... weird ... since starting on Vyvanse a little more than a month ago.

First month I was taking 30mg, then went to 40mg this month. Not noticing a big difference in my symptom relief, and actually starting to feel down, bordering on depressed.

I was never much for eating in the morning, usually just having a few cups of coffee until mid-morning, and I've been doing the same since starting the Vyvanse (and Adderall for a couple a months prior to that. I usually take my med with water as soon as I get up (usually between 5 and 6AM), have a few cups of coffee, and then after 3 or 4 hours have a banana or MAYBE some cereal.

Could that be my problem? Would I be better off having my coffee when I first get up, then take my med with food (thinking plain yogurt with banana slices mixed in - I actually like that!) around 8 or 9?

Would that make the Vyvanse more effective?
Old 05-29-11, 11:41 AM

dmlaugh3r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
Eating foods rich in protein seems to potentiate the effects of Vyvanse, at least for me. And a can of Diet Coke with it.
Haha. Yeah, keeping your sugar level balanced is a good idea. A can of diet coke helps me too, though I've been told to avoid caffeine. Is it okay to have some caffeine everyday?

Also. Does anyone on this board have hypoglycemia and ADHD?
Anatole France
Old 03-20-16, 07:18 PM

kruger4prez is on a distinguished road

Ok so I have read so much incorrect info on this website its ridiculous.

Validation for my ideas:
1. Been taking vyvanse since senior year in high school, I graduated college in finance, its been about 2 years since then (so have been on stimulants about 7 years)
2. A lot of my ideas are based off of trial and error, as well as factual information
3. I started at 30 mg and am now taking 50 mg. I have taken Adderall IR, and XR a fairly high amount of times as well. I have also combined multiple drugs with stimulants. Examples include, Alcohol, Benzo's, and Opiates. I am currently clean of all other drugs for some time now, and just take my vyvanse as prescribed at this moment, so I have no impairment in my logic or rationalizations while writing this post
4. My scientific information will seem broad and ill-defined in terms of science, but it is based off my research that has been continuous for many years now

I will run through all the major issues for everyone, all based off a ton of experience:

A. Making vyvanse more effective: Not eating with vyvanse will diminish the effects for vyvanse users, especially in people that have been using it for a long time. Dopamine receptors require N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT), proteins, and other things in order for the neurons to transmit dopamine across the synapse and activate the receiving cell. I don't know fully how it works, I just know your brain requires nutrition in order to produce the necessary things for this to happen. Also all the processes in the body that lead up to transmitting these messages require nutrition as well. I mean come on people, if you don't eat your body will not function as it should, and it will not use vyvanse as effectively as it should. Common logic. Vyvanse may work the first day without nutrition (maybe even for a week), but after a while, not eating will affect how it works. This is highly apparent with long-term users, short-term users may not be as prone but it's still the same.

Experience: I have eaten and not eaten multiple times, I have not eaten at first then eaten after taking the medication, and I have eaten beforehand. It will still work without eating in some people (not as well but they may not know the difference), but through all the millions of times I have taken it, waited for it to kick in, then force myself to eat a meal....after I digest the food and it has been used, it kicks in way more then before even at a normal dose. I have tried this with 50 mg and 200 mg, same outcome, just got way more out of it with the 200 mg then I needed.

Side Note: Not eating also makes side effects much worse. The zombie mode, heart issues, high BP, etc.... (you can find them all on forums and legitimate websites, I am not going to run through all that)
- Nothing else as far as I'm concerned does anything to the medication, l-tyrosine supplements do nothing, orange juice does nothing, alkaline/acidic ideas do nothing, and if any of this stuff had a real effect doctors would tell you, but they don't expect to have to tell you to eat food. Duh.

B. Tolerance is based on lifestyle and the meds: Inhibiting dopamine reuptake does not cause the brain to produce less dopamine. If anything, the receiving neurons down-regulate the proteins responsible for receiving the messages because it only needs a few to keep firing when dopamine hangs out in the synapses gap and keep causing the shock that activates the receiving neuron over and over. Periods of abstinence can keep your neurons in check and not cause the brain to change its processes since it will do just that when it feels it no longer needs to pay attention to an area.
>Neuroplasticity=Brains ability to adapt to changes in its environment
As far as lifestyle.....exercise, diet, joyful experiences, etc.... all help the brain produce dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins (feel good transmitters, dopamine and serotonin might be apart of endorphins? Not sure. Doesn't matter.) Helps tremendously with the drugs effectiveness and the comedowns. This is because of neuroplasticity again. These activities cause brain to adapt in response to those things producing good feelings, positive mood, healthy physical attributes, etc....
- Taking high doses will have to be compensated for with abstinence and positive lifestyle choices based on usage amounts of vyvanse & how long. Binges will result in the brain starting to adapt to having a high frequency of the medication all the time.

Experiences: Have been on binges, have taken it correctly, and have tried switching stimulants multiple times. By the way, switching from Adderall to Vyvanse or vice versa does not really do much at all, same stuff will happen after a short amount of time.

C. Serotonin Reuptake (Anti-depressants) work quite well for the comedowns, regulates mood during it and the next day in my experience. Also helps you sleep much better. Trazadone is great for this. Not extremely powerful but still gets the job done. Of course this only works if you have period of abstinence from stimulants/serotonin. Otherwise the same thing will happen with serotonin in the brain (not nearly as severe negative impacts though from abruptly stopping). This works because serotonin and dopamine have some overlapping in terms of what they regulate and do.
- Alcohol during comedowns is a horrible choice, you will wake up dehydrated from the stimulant use and with acute withdrawal from the alcohol, making you even more dehydrated. In my experience it causes terrible anxiety, depression, and insomnia. So basically your just magnifying the negative effects by 10x by using alcohol. Pulling brain both ways, depressing it and stimulating it, is a terrible idea for anybody.
>>> This also includes the use of opiates and benzo's with vyvanse. Causes the liver to produce way to much "excitement properties", which causes horrible symptoms when everything is stopped together. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, decreased appetite, etc....will all be magnified incredibly (especially with opiates because opiates effect dopamine and serotonin immensely by flooding the brain with it, so if you combine Vyvanse and opiates, you will not only see some issues with down-regulation, you will also have no dopamine and serotonin to even send the messages in the first place)

Anyway, experience: Have had withdrawal with combined use of Vyvanse and each one of the others. Have had opiate withdrawal without Vyvanse in my system as well. I know the differences tremendously well. This can also explain why stimulants can help opiate abusers through withdrawal. One thing I am certain of though is that the euphoria from stimulants is absolutely not felt at all if you take them while in opiate withdrawal. It simply levels out your mood/energy but not the physical parts associated with it.

>>>>>>The reason I brought this topic up is because it shows some really interesting relationships and tells me a lot on how Vyvanse is working on its own. From here I will let readers come to their own opinions as to what it means for Vyvanse, but the experiences are accurate and truthful through intuitive thought from multiple trial and error situations.

Side Notes: Stimulant psychosis is hard to get too. You need to take a ton of Vyvanse, I would most likely need to take like 500 mg at one time. Adderall is not nearly that high but it is still a large amount, probably like 100-150 mg. Someone without any tolerance would get there with smaller amounts, but they will feel it perfectly with just 30 mg.
- Children should never take stimulants that alter brain chemistry like Vyvanse. Their judgement is not developed, the forebrain has a lot of developing to do still, and the brain will be constantly changing in chemistry until they are at least 18, if not 22-23. I don't even want to know how it effects a child, its most likely horrible.
- Older people, 40+, will have a more difficult time with keeping tolerance managed. There dopamine has depleted naturally somewhat already and the brain doesn't seem to fix things as well when you grow older (or as quickly might be the correct term).
- People without "ADHD" (parenthesizes will be explained at end) will suffer the negative consequences of stimulants at a greater magnitude, but based on everything I have read, everyone has some sort of comedown/withdrawal. Never met or heard of anyone that doesn't, even with friends that have terrible "ADHD/ADD" supposedly.

>Final Thoughts: Alright so lets face the facts and everyone stop lying to themselves. This stuff is bad for you. It is changing brain chemistry and messing with the way it operates naturally. Even if "ADHD" is a real condition, I still lean towards the idea that its not, this doesn't seem like a good way to fix it. Stimulants are getting over-prescribed everywhere now and people can cheat the tests easily. Increasing dopamine signal frequency effects many other things along with correcting symptoms of ADHD. The reason we all take it is because it seems the benefits outweigh the costs, which is the general premise of any decision. All in all, manage your tolerance and live as healthy as possible if you take it, that's the only way we can really manage the negative effects.
- And last but not least, remember neuroplasticity. It is the reason anything is changing in the brain because the brain is adapting to a new scenario in its environment. There is always a cost with something that provides such powerful actions on our anatomy. That much is clear to anyone that takes stimulants or any other drugs for that matter.

> Anything else related to Vyvanse is usually a hoax or a crazy weird situation. It was someone out there with the incorrect gene code to be taking a stimulant like Vyvanse or Adderall.

- I probably missed some stuff so if you have any questions PM me.

- And yes I am on Vyvanse right now, how else would I have done all this ****.
- And for god sake, don't waste it, realize your potential with it and use the benefits as much as you can. Ex: I am currently getting my second degree in Electrical Engineering, while working.

Last edited by TygerSan; 03-20-16 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: email address in post edited out
Old 03-20-16, 10:10 PM

loubr is on a distinguished road

I started vyvanse mid feb of this year. Ive never in my life been a big eater, but on my 3rd week of taking vyvanse I ate like I never have in my life. I was like a crazy starved person.
A week later, I got hives all over. Never itched so much before. Too many people said it probably wasn't vyvnase.
It's been a week, almost sinse I stopped taking vyvanse. The last week has been hell. Not able to take allergy meds cause it made me unable to function. Hives are going away now, but I feel worse then ever. Withdrawl, Im not sure.. I have never had an allergic reaction, until vyvanse, then a not so great reaction to allergy pills... I don't get it.
I hope everyone else does well with it. I feel I have become someone I don't know. Maybe just withdrawl, Im not sure. Ive been on other stimulants before, no problem coming off them either, but nothing has made me feel like this before.
Old 03-21-16, 04:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,319 Times in 15,454 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruger4prez View Post
Ok so I have read so much incorrect info on this website its ridiculous.
Wow. what an opening. I cant see how you would expect people to be open to what you are saying with that opener.
Quote:
Validation for my ideas:
1. Been taking vyvanse since senior year in high school, I graduated college in finance, its been about 2 years since then (so have been on stimulants about 7 years)
2. A lot of my ideas are based off of trial and error, as well as factual information
3. I started at 30 mg and am now taking 50 mg. I have taken Adderall IR, and XR a fairly high amount of times as well. I have also combined multiple drugs with stimulants. Examples include, Alcohol, Benzo's, and Opiates. I am currently clean of all other drugs for some time now, and just take my vyvanse as prescribed at this moment, so I have no impairment in my logic or rationalizations while writing this post
why does your past of combining drugs mean you have more to offer and better insight into vyvanse then other people?

Quote:
B. Tolerance is based on lifestyle and the meds: Inhibiting dopamine reuptake does not cause the brain to produce less dopamine. If anything, the receiving neurons down-regulate the proteins responsible for receiving the messages because it only needs a few to keep firing when dopamine hangs out in the synapses gap and keep causing the shock that activates the receiving neuron over and over.
So are you saying there is such thing as tolerance or not? Are you saying there are ways to avoid or combat this or not?

Experiences: Have been on binges, have taken it correctly, and have tried switching stimulants multiple times. By the way, switching from Adderall to Vyvanse or vice versa does not really do much at all, same stuff will happen after a short amount of time.

Quote:
C. Serotonin Reuptake (Anti-depressants) work quite well for the comedowns, regulates mood during it and the next day in my experience. Also helps you sleep much better. Trazadone is great for this. Not extremely powerful but still gets the job done. Of course this only works if you have period of abstinence from stimulants/serotonin. Otherwise the same thing will happen with serotonin in the brain (not nearly as severe negative impacts though from abruptly stopping). This works because serotonin and dopamine have some overlapping in terms of what they regulate and do.
Do you mean that someone regularly taking stimulants like vyvanse would not benefit from something like trazodone because there has been no periods of abstinence?

Quote:
Anyway, experience: Have had withdrawal with combined use of Vyvanse and each one of the others. Have had opiate withdrawal without Vyvanse in my system as well. I know the differences tremendously well. This can also explain why stimulants can help opiate abusers through withdrawal. One thing I am certain of though is that the euphoria from stimulants is absolutely not felt at all if you take them while in opiate withdrawal. It simply levels out your mood/energy but not the physical parts associated with it.
Do you meant withdrawl from regular prescribed doses of vyvanse or abuse levels?

Quote:
- Children should never take stimulants that alter brain chemistry like Vyvanse. Their judgement is not developed, the forebrain has a lot of developing to do still, and the brain will be constantly changing in chemistry until they are at least 18, if not 22-23. I don't even want to know how it effects a child, its most likely horrible.
This is a load of crap. You must not have children with adhd, and must be basing this off of you own illegal and legal experiences with vyvanse or have read something untrue on the internet. Or taking mentioned possible side effects and equating them to fact as in- what will happen to kids on stimulants instead of what could happen. What is your experience with treating children with stimulants. Mine are three kids with adhd, one who just turned 20. If you want to read about his story and how stimulants saved his life you can read the sticky in children's diagnosis. He is truly brilliant and would never have developed the way he did without stimulants. My oldest daughter only took them a few years and decided she didnt want them anymore and the youngest could never tolerate them. So I am not someone who feels that all kids with adhd need drugs. I have experience treating adhd with drugs and no drugs.

Quote:
- Older people, 40+, will have a more difficult time with keeping tolerance managed. There dopamine has depleted naturally somewhat already and the brain doesn't seem to fix things as well when you grow older (or as quickly might be the correct term).
i have been on stimulants for over ten years and never had an issue with tolerance.

Quote:
>Final Thoughts: Alright so lets face the facts and everyone stop lying to themselves. This stuff is bad for you. It is changing brain chemistry and messing with the way it operates naturally. Even if "ADHD" is a real condition, I still lean towards the idea that its not, this doesn't seem like a good way to fix it. Stimulants are getting over-prescribed everywhere now and people can cheat the tests easily. Increasing dopamine signal frequency effects many other things along with correcting symptoms of ADHD. The reason we all take it is because it seems the benefits outweigh the costs, which is the general premise of any decision. All in all, manage your tolerance and live as healthy as possible if you take it, that's the only way we can really manage the negative effects.
This is ridiculous and I cant seem to extract the facts from the opinions.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-21-16), SyberCat (04-14-16)