ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-09-11, 10:37 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice
Pulling All-Nighters?

I have a really bad habit of staying up all night (with the help of my meds) on nights before I have an exam or a project due. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept the night before an exam.I know it's supposedly bad to do this, but I get good grades and everything has worked out just fine so far, so I haven't really been too worried about it, until now.

I'd really like to break this habit and get into a good school/sleep pattern, but I just can't bring myself to follow any kind of routine because of my daily schedule. I have classes in the evenings 3 times a week, and that's it. Yep, that's the only thing I have to do all week. The earliest I have to be awake on any day is 1pm and I have 5-day weekends every weekend. Needless to say It's pretty hard to convince myself to go to bed early when I don't have to wake up for anything.

Who else does this? I know I'm not the only one. Any suggestions?

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 03-09-11, 10:50 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling All-Nighters?

I'm done with school now, but did this as a matter of routine throughout college and law school. Never started a paper or started studying prior to the day before something was due or an exam was scheduled, and rarely started until that evening or later.

I was terrified waiting for my grade every single period, always convinced that my inability to overcome procrastination had *finally* caught up with me. It never did, and I actually did reasonably well. But, it well might have. I handed in/e-mailed in papers with minutes, on occasion seconds to spare. A slow train or slow internet connection could have resulted in my still being in school now, or having dropped out. And, if I'd had time to proofread papers or really study *and* sleep, I have to think I'd have done a good deal better.

So...yeah, not very helpful I'm afraid. No real suggestions...I still struggle to get to sleep, even when I don't have anything I'm trying to get done...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-10-11), Jade Sea (04-25-11)
Old 03-09-11, 10:57 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Haha, sounds a lot like me. Thanks anyways. I actually don't have any problems sleeping when I'm not taking any meds, maybe because I get such little sleep when I'm on them lol. The only reason I'm trying to work on my habit now is because I have such a ridiculous tolerance to my medication that I'm afraid I won't be able to keep doing this successfully like I've been able to do. If you can call this "successfully" lol

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-11, 12:14 AM

giggles26 will become famous soon enough

I only did that once and it made me have a mental breakdown, but I am busy all day everyday. 7-7 usually.
Old 03-10-11, 12:41 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about taking a sleep supplement like Melatonin? I've done this at like 11 p.m. and it helps.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-10-11, 12:46 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Have you thought about taking a sleep supplement like Melatonin? I've done this at like 11 p.m. and it helps.
Like I said before, I don't have any trouble sleeping when I want to sleep. My problem is just procrastinating everything until the last minute, so I end up having to stay up all night to get stuff done.

Old 03-10-11, 10:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice

The one time I pulled an allnighter I failed the test miserably. Now writing a paper is a whole different ball game, for me at least. I once had a shrink tell me that staying up all night to study is the worst thing you can do for yourself.
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 03-10-11, 10:09 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Who else does this?

Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
loveydovey25 (03-22-11)
Old 03-10-11, 11:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Pulling All-Nighters?

I am 44 years old. I first recall doing this when I was 6 years old. I made it my New Year's resolution to learn how to stop doing it four years ago. I now finally no longer do it. It took most of the last four years to get to this point.

Here's the thing... If you are in college now, then you are still (believe it or not) in the "easy" phase. You can still compensate for this sort of work habit because you're smart. But one day it WILL catch up with you. Whether it's in graduate school, or a job, or whatever, it will eventually turn out that you can't run on on overdrive (because that's what you're doing, right?) forever.

In my case, I did not write (or study, really) until the last minute because every time I started to do so, I got anxious. I can see now that that was the case. At the time, I just told myself that I was lazy, or a procrastinator.

So let's ask this: what are you doing when you're NOT studying/working on the paper? What happens if you get yourself up at 9:00 am, paper due two weeks from now, and try to work on it?

Describe that process not just from an outsider's view (i.e., what your physical behavior is), but also from the inside. What are you thinking as you sit at your desk at 9:00 am, coffee mug in hand, pen and paper at the ready (or computer at the ready, as the case may be). What goes through your head?

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
APSJ (03-10-11), namazu (04-25-11)
Old 03-12-11, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

IhazCHAOS has a spectacular aura aboutIhazCHAOS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
In my case, I did not write (or study, really) until the last minute because every time I started to do so, I got anxious. I can see now that that was the case. At the time, I just told myself that I was lazy, or a procrastinator.

So let's ask this: what are you doing when you're NOT studying/working on the paper? What happens if you get yourself up at 9:00 am, paper due two weeks from now, and try to work on it?

Describe that process not just from an outsider's view (i.e., what your physical behavior is), but also from the inside. What are you thinking as you sit at your desk at 9:00 am, coffee mug in hand, pen and paper at the ready (or computer at the ready, as the case may be). What goes through your head?
I'm 43 years old, in graduate school, and due to graduate eight weeks from today (if I can quit procrastinating and get all my papers written, projects and assignments finished, books read...). I've been pulling a lot of all-nighters lately, and not studying or doing anything else productive. I spend the nights on the 'net.

I agree, it's anxiety. If I even
think about an assignment I can feel a desire to run, to avoid, because I feel completely inadequate to begin, or focus, or to be able to organize and retain the information. This has absolutely nothing to do with past performance, because I've been doing really well. But it doesn't matter what I tell myself, the anxiety isn't based in reality. Sitting at my computer, or in front of my notes, coffee mug in hand, all I see is a blank page or screen. I can't write until I'm able to "see" the paper in my head, to conceptualize it, to see its skeleton, its bones. This has gotten much worse this semester as graduation draws near...no more Incompletes that I can finish next semester. Aaargh! A year ago, I just blamed this process on being lazy, foolish, etc. Now I can blame it on my ADD.

On one YouTube video, Dr. Russell Barkley talks about ADHD being a "Motivation Deficit Disorder." I'd never really thought about it, but I couldn't figure out why I would always wait until the last minute to do things, when I really hate feeling rushed, and filled with adrenaline. But what Dr. Barkley said makes sense in my case: I need to be motivated from the outside, unless it's something I really enjoy doing. Hence the mad scramble to meet deadlines, with the motivation being a need to get good grades, I guess.

I'm currently taking five classes and working five days a week at my internship sites, generally working around 30 hours per week. Even knowing I really, really need my sleep, I've been staying up all night one or two nights each week for the last five weeks I think. Yeah, definitely anxiety.
anonymouslyadd (03-22-11), loveydovey25 (03-22-11), namazu (04-25-11)
Old 03-22-11, 10:26 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
I am 44 years old. I first recall doing this when I was 6 years old. I made it my New Year's resolution to learn how to stop doing it four years ago. I now finally no longer do it. It took most of the last four years to get to this point.

Here's the thing... If you are in college now, then you are still (believe it or not) in the "easy" phase. You can still compensate for this sort of work habit because you're smart. But one day it WILL catch up with you. Whether it's in graduate school, or a job, or whatever, it will eventually turn out that you can't run on on overdrive (because that's what you're doing, right?) forever.

Sorry for the late reply, It was spring break last week and I wasn't around.

Ok, so what happens if I try to work on something that's due two weeks from now? I would probably be pretty relaxed about the assignment, even too relaxed because I know it's not due. I might open the assignment on my computer, but I'd probably also open Facebook and this site in other windows and focus most of my attention on that.

Besides waiting until the last minute and pulling all-nighters, I really don't have any problems getting stuff done (I don't get anxiety or anything like that to prevent me from doing my schoolwork). I just don't even feel any sense of urgency or the NEED to do things until the last minute, since it's worked out pretty well so far.

Old 03-22-11, 10:36 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

You are far from the only one. I went one stretch where I didn't sleep for 3 days straight. Two more, and I would have been hallucinating. What has worked for me is to study really hard and then cut it off at about 11 or something and then take a melatonin.

It's not the worst thing in the world though. However it certainly isn't the most fun. The best part is that it doesn't last forever.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
IhazCHAOS (03-23-11), loveydovey25 (03-22-11)
Old 03-22-11, 11:04 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
You are far from the only one. I went one stretch where I didn't sleep for 3 days straight. Two more, and I would have been hallucinating. What has worked for me is to study really hard and then cut it off at about 11 or something and then take a melatonin.

It's not the worst thing in the world though. However it certainly isn't the most fun. The best part is that it doesn't last forever.
Yea, I know a lot of people do it (especially students), but every time I do it I tell myself "I really need to stop doing this". I get plenty of sleep most nights when I don't stay up, I'd say on average I get a good 10hrs of sleep per night, or more.

I usually stay up all night studying before a test, then go take the test, then go home and sleep for like 14hrs. Hey, on the bright side, no sleep for one night and then 14hrs of sleep the next night is an average of 7hrs per night, not too bad!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshoppaa For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-23-11)
Old 03-23-11, 12:25 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aald4x4 View Post
Yea, I know a lot of people do it (especially students), but every time I do it I tell myself "I really need to stop doing this". I get plenty of sleep most nights when I don't stay up, I'd say on average I get a good 10hrs of sleep per night, or more.

I usually stay up all night studying before a test, then go take the test, then go home and sleep for like 14hrs. Hey, on the bright side, no sleep for one night and then 14hrs of sleep the next night is an average of 7hrs per night, not too bad!

Aald, good way to think about that. You're balancing it out.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 04-11-11, 03:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

ILADHD will become famous soon enough

I'm doing it right now. 12 hours to go on my paper and I haven't started yet.
I reached the wrong ends, by the wrong means

https://youtu.be/XGRCvIhqWpg