ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you and your spouse, if any, making enough $ to get by?
I'm richer than dirt. 2 1.06%
I'm not mega-rich, but am able to buy pretty much everything I need or want. 48 25.53%
I'm getting by, but can't seem to get ahead. No or little savings, RRSPs, equity, etc. 79 42.02%
I'm struggling to get by. Debt may be mounting, I sometimes can't afford essential things. 37 19.68%
I have no or almost no income. 7 3.72%
Special circumstances - the above don't describe me. 15 7.98%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-04, 09:05 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
How Much Money Do people with ADD Make?

I have not gone with specific dollar ranges as people have different situations and require more or less money than each other...
Old 08-16-04, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Well, presently we live off of hubby's income which is from his full time job(jet engine mechanic), and a side business he has (video production stuff)...so it's not too bad. We NOW have the majority of our little type debt paid off (ya know, little stuff other than the big stuff...big stuff meaning house, truck, etc.) We still kinda live paycheck to paycheck, but are just starting to be able to save a little. Considering that we have no children yet, and I am frugal as I can be, this is OK for us both.

Dunno how this will all play out when I get back into school...considering dunno how much we will have to chip in for my schooling...but when my schooling is done, I think that once I get a decent job, we'll be easy sailing...until I have kids
Old 08-16-04, 04:20 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
We are getting by and can pretty much buy anything we want, but I must qualify that in that we (more so I ) have learned that there is a lot of things I want but its only becuse I don't have them. Once I have them I don't use a lot of them , so I quit buying them.

I will say one thing here that I know is true (for me anyway), as I have won the lottery a long time ago and I have had a lot of very good jobs, but money didn't make me happy. It did take a finacial edge off but the more I made the more I spent.

Once I became more in tune with what the ADD was doing to me and am now starting to compensate for it I am begining to understand what happiness is for me.

I still like money , but Im not willing to put up with the stress of "Linear Thinking Bosses and Co-Workers", in the game of "Chase The Allmighty Dollar"

My 2 Can-ADD-ian cents worth.

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-04, 11:31 AM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road
The more I make, the more I spend. Therefore I will never get ahead. I am still as poor as when I used to make 4.25 an hour at Arby's. I have no savings at all.

Garry,
You won the lottery???!!!! Details please.
Old 08-17-04, 12:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
Lousy Credit

I make pretty good money and could buy pretty much what I want, except for one thing: my lousy credit rating.

With money in the bank, piles of bills sit on my desk, unpaid, until they send me a nasty note that something is going to be turned off, or they're sending it off to collections.

What is with that?!?!?! With the money I pay in late fees and extra interest charges I could have a comfortable savings account. Oh yeah, and don't forget bounced check charges - even though a deposit to cover it is sitting under those bills. AGH!!

Has anyone else overcome this? It is the ADD isn't it? Will medication help me with this? Thanks, Susan
Old 08-17-04, 07:41 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by britawn
Garry,
You won the lottery???!!!! Details please.
not much to say

20 years ago myself and 9 co-workers won a half a million dollars

50 thousand each

It was the night of my stag and doe when we won it

so id be willing to bet that it was one of the more profitable stag and does Kincardine (my home town) has ever seen

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 08-17-04, 10:04 PM
Contributor

Garry,
That is the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Susan,
Have you spoken with a counselor about all that? My counselor has helped me to completely reaorganize my life. And the meds helped too.
Old 08-17-04, 10:28 PM

BobbyK is on a distinguished road
I'm not mega-rich, but am able to buy pretty much everything I need or want.

I fell I could be even better off if I didnt have ADHD but I am glad that I am where I am even tho I have to work ten times harder than a normal person. But I am just glad that me and my son can live with a roof over our head and food on our shelves
Old 08-17-04, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
Hi Britawn,
I was just diagnosed and don't see my psychologist until next thursday, and don't see the psychiatrist to discuss meds until October.

Now that I know about my ADD, we can switch the focus of our counseling sessions. And addressing the financial issues is important to me. My psych recognized the ADD, and works with Adults with ADD. Susan
Old 08-20-04, 02:03 PM
Jr Member

crackersmonkey is on a distinguished road
No matter how much money I make I have allways have lived pay check to pay check. Most of my money went to paying late fees and other bad credit related problems. My credit is so bad its not funny. I can't open a bank account anymore, I cant have any utilities in my name etc etc. Thing have only become better recently since I got married and my wife takes care of all the bills. All my credit cards are paid off now, another five more years and might even have good credit. I have no idea what the problem is with paying bills for adders. The problem was rarely a lack of money, but just a complete inability to pay the damn bills on time. Sigh .....
Old 08-20-04, 03:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Money was never a problem for me. Part of being born a white guy born to a middle-class upbringing, being rather spoiled I guess. College was paid for, jobs were plentiful when I graduated. I've always been able to find work with decent pay, never really great salary but OK. So maybe I'm lazy but I also just never worried about money.

My wife has these horrible fears of some day running out of money & being forced to beg on the street or work some humiliating painful job to survive but I really don't relate to those fears at all. This difference is what got me divorced from her though we are still friends she just couldn't handle that. She's willing to suffer greatly now for future financial security, I'm not.

If it ever gets that bad, I can find some kind of acceptable job or find a friend to put me up for a while or something not too bad. Given the number of people I see on the street here in the city & how bad they have it, maybe I'm foolish to think I'm not susceptable to that but I really don't worry about it. I'm more worried about finding a place in life that I can be happy with. If that's a low paying job, that's fine, I don't live an extravagant lifestyle when I'm making good money & I could pretty easily scale back on spending if I had to.

OH and while I've always been able to get a decent paying job, I am NOT willing to take a job I hate for big money & I am not really very interested in pursuing a really high salary job, assuming there is a reason they pay so well. So while I may be spoiled, I'm not greedy.
Old 08-23-04, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

pershingd will become famous soon enough
heh - heh - heh As much as I can print heh - heh - heh

Just kidding! My wife and I are both public school teachers. Enough said?

David
Old 08-23-04, 09:52 PM
Contributor

No ones Richer than Dirt?
Old 08-28-04, 12:26 AM
Jr Member

crackersmonkey is on a distinguished road
How much does dirt make ??
Old 08-28-04, 02:29 AM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
I think the simple answer to the original question of this thread for everyone is...

Not nearly enough