ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-24-10, 07:58 AM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold
A Career in Writing

I spent 5 years in college studying Spanish to be a teacher. I am just one class away from a degree in Spanish or Spanish Secondary Education. After a major blowout with the schools, I thought about going to Vet school to be a Vet Tech. I love animals and I volunteer for several rescues.

This past month looking for a job, I've been thinking. I studied for a "career" to pay the bills. I am put off of teaching because of the amount of time it consumes. For most new teachers it's a good 14 hour a day job. Most teachers tell me they can't even pick up a good book until summer.

Ever since I was young, I've wanted to write fiction. I've been told I was great at it (by most). Now a days whenever I get up as soon as the alarm goes off, happy to start the day, it is because I've thought about my work. I LOVE to write. I've written the beginning of story upon story since I learned how to type, but most have been destroyed and I have had to start over. I have over 20 story ideas at the moment, but I've never been serious about it because it is rare that people can make a living off of writing fiction. Many have told me it won't pay the bills and chances are I won't make any money. But really, it's what I crave to do. I look at the world like it's one big setting for a story. Everything I do I think about how it would affect my characters.

I've thought about writing freelance for someone but I don't know how well I write non fiction. I can spit out a poem without rhythm off the top of my head. I was thinking maybe writing something about taking it "one day at a time" which I am learning to do. Something like "Today, focus on your strengths and how you can apply them to everyday life. Be proud of those strengths and dwell upon how they make you who you are." I could write something like that everyday (and elaborate on them), but would people pay me to write that? My mother in law says it sounds like astrologist dribble. Not to mention most people want a degree in English or Journalism, which angers me because a Spanish degree has SEVERAL classes on studying the works of authors, primary sources, and artists in Latin America and Spain to pick out the Spanish, Muslim, African, and Greek influences in the work. And it's taught completely in Spanish, so I think I'd be qualified with this degree.

I know a lot of people with ADHD write, but do any of you do it for a living? I don't want to be the next Stephen King, maybe the next Nora Roberts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad83 For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (03-16-11)
Old 08-30-10, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Layla771 has a spectacular aura aboutLayla771 has a spectacular aura about
Re: A Career in Writing

He he I wouldn't mind being the next fabulous romance writer too!! (Wanted to say Nora Roberts but in a way I don't like her writing, although it's addictive!! She just makes me depressed, most of the time!)

Did you know Nora Roberts writes 8 hours a day or so? Yup. Check her out.

I've even taken a year off to write or finish my novel, but haven't finished any of them yet (just started new ones).

Some people take part time or even full time jobs just to be able to finish or write.. to have some structure in their lives..

There are lots of good books for freelancers out there, by Jenna Glatzer or Kelly James Enger or Renegade Writer.. Check if your library has these books, and Writers' Market..
You totally don't need to finish English or Journalism, if your story idea is good they don't ask what you studied..
Spanish can be an advantage if you do travel writing or articles about those places or people..

You do need a quiet and calm place to write, ideally without distractions (from family or friends). Which I don't really have, hmm.. (Renovations, akh!!)

I've written some articles, took on too complex themes at the time though.. I may still write again, can't imagine doing it full time at the time though.. Rewrites or deciding what to actually write can be very stressful too.. you can try it and see how you like it?
Old 09-17-10, 05:25 PM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know where to start. There are just so many scams and non legit jobs out there.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I can;t keep my focus. I started a choose your own adventure game and lost interest I have a blog but am bored to death with it. I couldn't stick with it. Good Luck.http://aletalecoffeesmokesandash.blogspot.com/

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 09-17-10, 06:13 PM

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Sim, the first thing is to decide if writing is really what you want to do.

Write on spec. That means that you write it and turn it over and *maybe* it is accepted. There are blog spots for budding writers. The average blog is between 500 and 750 words. That means that you aren't putting a ton of time into a posting. Start an independent blog and see if you get traffic.

Google writing and freelance. See what you find.

The first step will involve getting out of your own way and developing the discipline you will need to write essentially in a vacuum. Find out if this is really a good fit for you.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Tommy Wilhelm (03-07-11)
Old 09-17-10, 08:45 PM
Forum Guru

I have a blog, two in fact, but when I got a job I had to cut back.
www.theskylightismine.blogspot.com is the one I stuck with, and now that I am jobless again, I can go back to writing daily. I wrote about how to make the day better when everything seemed to go down the toliet. I know a lot of people with mental illness who take it one day at a time and I wanted to be inspirational.
Old 09-17-10, 09:22 PM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm845 View Post
I spent 5 years in college studying Spanish to be a teacher. I am just one class away from a degree in Spanish or Spanish Secondary Education. After a major blowout with the schools, I thought about going to Vet school to be a Vet Tech. I love animals and I volunteer for several rescues.

This past month looking for a job, I've been thinking. I studied for a "career" to pay the bills. I am put off of teaching because of the amount of time it consumes. For most new teachers it's a good 14 hour a day job. Most teachers tell me they can't even pick up a good book until summer.

Ever since I was young, I've wanted to write fiction. I've been told I was great at it (by most). Now a days whenever I get up as soon as the alarm goes off, happy to start the day, it is because I've thought about my work. I LOVE to write. I've written the beginning of story upon story since I learned how to type, but most have been destroyed and I have had to start over. I have over 20 story ideas at the moment, but I've never been serious about it because it is rare that people can make a living off of writing fiction. Many have told me it won't pay the bills and chances are I won't make any money. But really, it's what I crave to do. I look at the world like it's one big setting for a story. Everything I do I think about how it would affect my characters.

I've thought about writing freelance for someone but I don't know how well I write non fiction. I can spit out a poem without rhythm off the top of my head. I was thinking maybe writing something about taking it "one day at a time" which I am learning to do. Something like "Today, focus on your strengths and how you can apply them to everyday life. Be proud of those strengths and dwell upon how they make you who you are." I could write something like that everyday (and elaborate on them), but would people pay me to write that? My mother in law says it sounds like astrologist dribble. Not to mention most people want a degree in English or Journalism, which angers me because a Spanish degree has SEVERAL classes on studying the works of authors, primary sources, and artists in Latin America and Spain to pick out the Spanish, Muslim, African, and Greek influences in the work. And it's taught completely in Spanish, so I think I'd be qualified with this degree.

I know a lot of people with ADHD write, but do any of you do it for a living? I don't want to be the next Stephen King, maybe the next Nora Roberts.

Wow, me, too:
studied Spanish and Spanish lit in college
became a teacher (elementary ed... long story) (and you are absolutely right about the hours!)
thinking about being a vet tech! Applied for a job as a vet assistant yesterday!
love animals and do rescue
have always had a million ideas for stories, have long-running characters in my mind with all the backstory and enough plotlines to fill a bookshelf
have looked into writing freelance, but I've never been good at making money in bits and pieces like that

Yes, people will pay you, a little bit at least. Especially find small news outlets like community newspapers. Read some of their stories to see what they are printing, then do some of your own samples to show them. Make sure you know what style they are using, and follow it. Usually it's AP style, so look that up. The same goes for the online stuff. There are a ton of places where you can publish stuff and get paid according to the traffic you generate. If you want to find a hotspot for publishing right now, it's graphic novels for the tweens and teens. (Think Diary of a Wimpy Kid.) I don't know about the adult market. If I were writing book-length stories it would be sci fi fantasy. Madeleine L'Engle is one of my heros.
Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
Old 09-17-10, 09:38 PM
Forum Guru

I've been trying to hit on the young adult market with some really cliche stories like Frankengirl which mixes the Frankenstein story with a teenage girl.

Here's my thing. When I first got on this forum I was unemployed, and my post were the most joyous things I have ever written. My day consisted of getting up at 6am, getting my husband ready for work, going to the gym, showering, getting housework done, and spending most of the day blogging about how I get through each day with little tidbits of hope and writing fiction. I've never written nine chapters of a book but there it is on my computer. I was more productive than I have ever been. Then I got a job for 3 weeks (fired today) and I hated it from day one.

I KNOW I want to stay home as a mother (when I have kids) and write all day. I love it, and I've never been happier. I guess I could write to the Baltimore Sun and ask if they need freelance writers. I think if I am going to write for a newspaper, my niche would be things you find on Yahoo like "How to deal with the stress of life" and "How to tackle your problems one at a time". I love to write comedy and self help.

I mean if you want you are more than welcome to check out my blog. It's really bad, but usually it is not edited (ADHD lets me fridge read my own work).
Old 09-19-10, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jarl is on a distinguished road

My son has gotten his first novel published at 15, despite his ADD. He wrote it with a friend, so he had to continue writing however desperate he was to quit. For him it is very hard to finish a story, because the speed of his imagination goes way beyond his writing pace. Great plots are boring to him when he finally gets there. Unfortunately he can't push himself to finish it (which I fully understand). When he was younger, writing has been such a therapy for him.

My son, now 16, is nowhere near making a living out of it yet, but readers are all shocked and excited by his intense way of writing (in both English and his own tongue). As long as he enjoys it, I am happy for him.

Sorry I can't say anything more helpful to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarl For This Useful Post:
Asylum (04-09-13), Layla771 (09-21-10)
Old 09-20-10, 09:41 AM
Forum Guru

I have yet to finish a novel, I want to find a way to publish blogs or something online.
Old 09-21-10, 01:46 PM
Forum Guru

the Examiner wants me to write for them. I dunno how legit they are. I haven't heard anything bad about them. I dunno. I guess I can try.
Old 09-23-10, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about

The good thing about creative writing for an ADHDer is that you have complete control over your work: hours, environment, assignments. The bad thing is that you have to control everything. You will need good systems to stay on track.
Layla771 (09-24-10)
Old 09-23-10, 07:38 PM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I just got an email from articlebase.com it looks like they pay....

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 09-24-10, 12:23 PM
Forum Guru

I will definitely check that out. For those of you who are reading this, are you interested in seeing my work? I'd love to know from people who are related to me if I'm good enough to be professional.
Old 09-25-10, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jarl is on a distinguished road

Are you familiar with Nanowrimo(.org)? It's a initiative to write a novel in just a month, to let go of all perfectionism. A month of literally abandon. You might like it.