ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-16-09, 07:38 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about
Question difference between the different extended release / retard METHYLPHENIDATE capsules?

hey folks,

i was wondering if anybody has experience with the following forms of prolonged release methylphenidate? only the following are an option for me, as they're the only ones available in my country.

(following, i'll refer to the normal release formular as ritalin for simplicity)

RITALIN LA.
description says two peaks with about four hours inbetween. so that's like taking ritalin twice with four hours inbetween. thats too long of a gap for me, i need to take normal ritalin every three hours. so this wont work for me, i suppose?

MEDIKINET retard.
description says one quick peak like ritalin, then another peak three hours later, followed by a slow come-down. so i guess this is more for me, as i need to take ritalin every three hours as well, it could work?

EQUASYM retard.
description says one quick peak like ritalin, then another peak three hours later, followed by a slow come-down. same as MEDIKINET.

CONCERTA.
description says first peak 1-2 hours after taking (so like ritalin?), then a slow, steady release with maximum plasma levels at 6-8 hours. WOAH?!
then a slow come-down.

conclusion:

CONCERTA is something really special that provides a very steady state and is active for a very long time, so you really just need ONE a day?

EQUASYM and MEDIKINET are equal. they sound like two doses of normal ritalin combined in one capsule. so i'd need two a day, i guess.

RITALIN LA. a really long gap, it's like taking two ritalin with a gap of four hours inbetween, which is, for me, too long.

can / did anybody here compare CONCERTA to another extended-release formula of methylphenidate? thanks!
Old 05-17-09, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

elizadoo47 is on a distinguished road
Re: difference between the different extended release / retard METHYLPHENIDATE capsul

Yes, I can compare because my daughter started with Concerta 18 mg. It has a 20/20/60 release, each about 4 hours apart. The first release is 20% of the 18mg, the second release is 20% of the 18mg, and the third release is a whopping 60% of the 18 mg (mid-afternoon). That release lasted until about 8 pm, assuming she took it at about 7 am in the the morning.

It only took a one day trial moving her up to 36 mg (vocal tics) and back down to 18 mg for a couple more days to decide that Concerta was not the drug for her. The drug itself was fine, it was the release schedule that was crummy.

For some people this 60% surge in the midafternoon is a blessing. For some, like my daughter, it was horrible: she became angry and argumentative and loud and basically "strung out" when the 3rd release happened.

So daughter switched to Focalin XR 15 mg. (Focalin is a refined Ritalin). This is a 50/50 release, each 7.5 mg about 3 or 4 hours apart, and if my daughter takes it at 7 am it wears off, for her, about 6 hours later, more of less....

The 2nd release for her (of the Focalin XR) seems to be a bit too strong.

In my daughter's case she seems to require the biggest dosage in the morning and gradually smaller doses as the day goes on:

Example: 7.5 mg at 7 am, 5 mg. at noon, 5 mg (or even 2.5 mg) at 5 pm.

I wish there was a commercial med that worked a release schedule like that: it would be perfect!
The Following User Says Thank You to elizadoo47 For This Useful Post:
γ-quantum (05-18-09)