ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 12-08-08, 10:49 AM

lovelyophelia will become famous soon enough
Does anyone feel different after switching to extended release?

I was on immediate release dex, but my doc switched me to extended release. I ended up not taking it for a month.

So I've started with taking half a pill, to sort of re-titrate myself up to where I was before. I feel differently than when I was on the immediate release. My emotions are ten times stronger than they would be. Stress becomes unbearable and I just shut down. Happiness makes me unbelievably hyper. I can't stop talking either. I can't buckle down and get work done either. I also don't enjoy music when I'm on extended release, and I'm a musician!

It's the same company as far as I know... just the extended release form. Has anybody else noticed this when switching to extended release? Will this go away? Is it because I'm only at a quarter of my usual dose right now? Once I'm taking my usualy dose will this go away?
Old 12-08-08, 12:36 PM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about
Re: Does anyone feel different after switching to extended release?

I can't find any information that clearly describes how the ER spansules release d-amphetamine. Hence, it is difficult to determine exactly what variables are causing the changes in the effect you notice. I suggest just trying the dosage your doctor prescribed and seeing what happens, and you could even ask your dr. about raising the dosage. It seems possible that lower d-amphetamine levels are responsible for the differences. If that doesn't help, then maybe go back to IR. D-amphetamine sulfate is exactly the same molecule in ER and IR.

GSK Dexedrine Spansule Prescribing Information
Quote:
Each SPANSULE sustained-release capsule is so prepared that an initial dose is released promptly and the remaining medication is released gradually over a prolonged period.
[...]
DEXEDRINE SPANSULE capsules are formulated to release the active drug substance in vivo in a more gradual fashion than the standard formulation, as demonstrated by blood levels
[...]
Pharmacokinetics: The pharmacokinetics of the tablet and sustained-release capsule were compared in 12 healthy subjects. The extent of bioavailability of the sustained-release capsule was similar compared to the immediate-release tablet. Following administration of three 5-mg tablets, average maximal dextroamphetamine plasma concentrations (Cmax) of 36.6 ng/mL were achieved at approximately 3 hours. Following administration of one 15-mg sustained-release capsule, maximal dextroamphetamine plasma concentrations were obtained approximately 8 hours after dosing. The average Cmax was 23.5 ng/mL. The average plasma T was similar for both the tablet and sustained-release capsule and was approximately 12 hours.
Old 12-08-08, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough
Re: Does anyone feel different after switching to extended release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I can't find any information that clearly describes how the ER spansules release d-amphetamine. Hence, it is difficult to determine exactly what variables are causing the changes in the effect you notice. I suggest just trying the dosage your doctor prescribed and seeing what happens, and you could even ask your dr. about raising the dosage. It seems possible that lower d-amphetamine levels are responsible for the differences. If that doesn't help, then maybe go back to IR. D-amphetamine sulfate is exactly the same molecule in ER and IR.

GSK Dexedrine Spansule Prescribing Information

I use to think that 15mg spansules meant 15mg initial dose and 15mg more 4 hours later. I guess 7.5 and then another 7.5 right?

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Sponsored Links