ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-28-19, 01:49 AM

AnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the roughAnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the roughAnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the rough
Early Diagnosis

Hello all,

I'm a 40yo dad with an amazing 3 and-a-half-year-old daughter. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and my wife and I are confident that our little one has ADHD too.

She never stops moving, she babbles non-stop. She needs attention at all times and rarely does one activity for more than a few minutes at a time, unless, of course, it makes a huge mess. She's extremely emotional, she can be super happy or scream for half an hour if she drops a toy in the car and can't reach it.
She's super bright and clever and inquisitive. She has a way of either brightening any room she's in or turning it into hell. Luckily she usually brightens it (at least as long as we keep her happy).

Obviously, I can't ask for any official diagnoses here but I'm sure a lot of these behaviours are very familiar to any one reading on here.

Has anyone else had their child diagnosed at such a young age? And what actions did you take?

We're not particularly keen to medicate her yet. We feel like she's ok, it's us who struggle more at this stage. When school work begins to be affected we will likely look into meds.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who reads this and good luck with your amazing and infuriating kid!
Old 03-28-19, 12:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,918 Times in 12,561 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Early Diagnosis

I had a friend point out that my descriptions of my then 5 yo granddaughter
sounded like her daughter at that age ... probably adhd.

I began reading about it and I was also sure she had adhd, and that I did too.
But by then we were dealing with two divorces (mine and my daughters) and
with the issues of her younger child who was eventually diagnosed ASD.

So my oldest granddaughter didn't get diagnosed until she was 10. Every year
at parent/teacher conferences I would quiz the teachers about the signs and
symptoms I was seeing ... but none of them saw any problems. Partly because
she's a girl, and she was a real people pleaser and so helpful at school. But by
5th grade it was really catching up to her and the teacher finally saw it too.

There's at least one parent here who also had a child diagnosed by age 4.
Sarahsweets has a lot on her plate these days, so if she doesn't drop by and
say hi, look for her thread on getting her son diagnosed. If you can figure out
how to use our mess of a search function.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-29-19, 06:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739
Rather than re-telling my story I thought I would share this, granted its now 6 years old but my son has grown into an amazing man. He is currently at the actual UN with his Model UN team from college learning all about policy. He has a 4.0 and had a stroke in November at the age of 22 (due to a hole in his heart from an undetected birth defect.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherADHDDad View Post
Hello all,

I'm a 40yo dad with an amazing 3 and-a-half-year-old daughter. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and my wife and I are confident that our little one has ADHD too.

She never stops moving, she babbles non-stop. She needs attention at all times and rarely does one activity for more than a few minutes at a time, unless, of course, it makes a huge mess. She's extremely emotional, she can be super happy or scream for half an hour if she drops a toy in the car and can't reach it.
She's super bright and clever and inquisitive. She has a way of either brightening any room she's in or turning it into hell. Luckily she usually brightens it (at least as long as we keep her happy).

Obviously, I can't ask for any official diagnoses here but I'm sure a lot of these behaviours are very familiar to any one reading on here.

Has anyone else had their child diagnosed at such a young age? And what actions did you take?

We're not particularly keen to medicate her yet. We feel like she's ok, it's us who struggle more at this stage. When school work begins to be affected we will likely look into meds.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who reads this and good luck with your amazing and infuriating kid!

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-19, 12:02 AM

AnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the roughAnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the roughAnotherADHDDad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys.

Your story is definitely inspirational Sarah. For our girl, she is pretty good at safety, thank goodness, so that doesn't give us as much reason to medicate early. I definitely am not afraid of medicating her. I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI at 39 and finally medicated so I know what a huge difference they can make. I got by at school because I was smart, and being Predominantly Innatentive, I didn't have all those hyperactive behaviours that single out so many ADHD boys. But school wouldn't have been the nightmare of unfinished homework and forgotten books if I'd had meds back then. That's what we definitely want to avoid for our daughter.

You were absolutely right not to smack your son btw. We've never smacked our girl (although we both have come very close!). The fact is we knew that smacking her would just make her scream more. Absolutely no point. As it happens, I'm studying psychology and just did a research paper on corporal punishment of children. The literature was overwhelming that it is ineffective and probably damaging. Anyone who says a child just needs a smack is full of BS and really has no idea.

Congratulations on your son's success. You clearly did a great job.

Thanks again. We'll get our girl to the doctor soon and I'll keep you updated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnotherADHDDad For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-30-19), sarahsweets (04-06-19)