ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 02-21-19, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 963 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Is my "brain fog" due to my "fight/flight or cry" response?

Is my chronic cognitive "brain fog" due to my chronic affective "fight or flight or cry" distress responses?

M
Old 02-22-19, 06:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my "brain fog" due to my "fight/flight or cry" response?

Do you know in general what your personal fight or flight response stems from? In situations where my flight or fight response has come into play it has always circled back to trauma I experienced.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 12:02 PM

Thanked 26,916 Times in 12,560 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you know in general what your personal fight or flight response stems from? In situations where my flight or fight response has come into play it has always circled back to trauma I experienced.
I would say the same in my experience.

I thought it was fight - flight - freeze? Not cry?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-22-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-19, 05:22 PM

We are all born with negative feeling unconditioned RAGE, FEAR, and GRIEF primary emotional distress response systems.

-RAGE/fight
-FEAR/flight
-GRIEF/cry

Without a primary RAGE system, we would not get angry and fight.

Without a primary FEAR system, we would not get anxious and flight. (run away)

Without a primary social GRIEF system, we would not miss our primary caregivers and cry.

What individual experiences and types of distresses stimulates these response systems, varies, depending on individual temperament and individual circumstances.

Whatever the individual reasons for being chronically stimulated, when these subcortical response systems are chronically stimulated, interferes with neocortical growth and function.

M
Old 02-22-19, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I would say the same in my experience.

I thought it was fight - flight - freeze? Not cry?

-"fight" is a secondary response, generated by the primary RAGE system.

- "flight" and "freeze" are secondary responses, generated by the primary FEAR system. (sometimes it might be better to freeze, than to run away.)

-"cry" response is a secondary response generated by the primary social GRIEF system.

M
Old 02-22-19, 09:52 PM

If I remember reading correctly, during fight ,or, flight/freeze, or, cry secondary distress responses, blood flows more to the lower subcortical areas of our brains', and less to the higher neocortical areas associated with ADHD.

If these lower responses occur chronic enough, could this slightly interfere with the natural development of the higher brain areas?

(And slight impairment in cognitive executive functions even more likely to occur, if the individual is already born with a more sensitive temperament to distresses)

M
Old 02-22-19, 10:20 PM

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much live by the if all else fails CRY method. Cry is a tough hangover of headache to get over though. Hot and blotchy, runny nose, etc.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-23-19), mildadhd (02-23-19)
Old 02-22-19, 10:53 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,347 Times in 7,820 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I pretty much live by the if all else fails CRY method. Cry is a tough hangover of headache to get over though. Hot and blotchy, runny nose, etc.
I often wish, I could cry and just let it all out but I can稚. I can become sad and upset and feel like crying and suddenly a switch flips and I become angry at the situation especially, when life is being cruel and unfair. I知 much more prone to stay in the angry, upset, ruminating, fight response.

The last time, I remember really crying was 30 years ago after the death of a very, very close friend whom I grew up with. I wish, I could cry and help avoid being so angry and upset.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-23-19), mildadhd (02-23-19)
Old 02-23-19, 01:16 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I often wish, I could cry and just let it all out but I can稚. I can become sad and upset and feel like crying and suddenly a switch flips and I become angry at the situation especially, when life is being cruel and unfair. I知 much more prone to stay in the angry, upset, ruminating, fight response.

The last time, I remember really crying was 30 years ago after the death of a very, very close friend whom I grew up with. I wish, I could cry and help avoid being so angry and upset.
I used to cry over everything, even Hallmark and phone commercials.
At some point I just stopped. Maybe after my divorce and my ex's death?
But I also became angry at the flip of a switch, and that's better now with meds.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-24-19), mildadhd (02-24-19)
Old 02-27-19, 03:13 PM

In the national geographic documentary "Einstein", Einstein wonders about a feeling of loneliness/sadness he experiences when he is separated from his family, that he does not experience when he is with his family.

This feeling of loneliness is common in many mammals when separated from family.

This feeling is generated by the social GRIEF system

Like RAGE/fight, anger, irritable, etc, or, FEAR/flight,freeze,anxiety,scared, etc.

There are secondary forms of GRIEF distress responses.

Example

GRIEF/cry, separation anxiety, loneliness, sadness, etc.

M
Old 02-27-19, 03:25 PM

* walks away and closes the door *

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-27-19), mildadhd (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 05:51 PM

Words alone can be tricky when discussing affective feelings.

Example, when humans feel the "flight" response they do not literally mean "fly" away, because humans can not fly, although many of us understand what we mean when we discuss the "flight" response.

In other words, terminolgy used to describe these feelings originate long after these primary and secondary response systems evolved.

For most accurate understanding, it is best to also consider the common mammalian brain systems/biology involved.

M