ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-05-18, 08:47 AM
Contributor

adhdpi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Concerta *crash* causes long-term sensitisation/ upregulation???

I am looking for information regarding the *crash* some people reportedly have noticed after using Concerta (usually takes place later on the day). I found out that dosing methylphenidate fast can cause a euphoric feeling while dosing methylphenidate slowly (such as is the case with Concerta) can cause a dysphoric (depressing) feeling (the *crash*).

I made a theory that explains that in the periods where the euphoria is felt, desensitization/ downregulation to dopamine takes place in brain cells, while in periods where dysphoria (the *crash*) is felt, sensitization/ upregulation takes place.

This is a good thing because this means that in periods where the *crash* is felt, brain cells become more sensitive to dopamine, hopefully causing long-lasting improvements with AD(H)D. I think this could even be a long-term cure to AD(H)D!

So I want to ask if there are people here who have used Concerta long enough and experienced the *crash* long enough if they have noticed that they have long-term improvement with their AD(H)D (symptoms)!

I am specifically looking for people who have used Concerta for longer than 7 years!
Old 11-12-18, 05:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta *crash* causes long-term sensitisation/ upregulation???

I have not used concerta for years and when I did it was only a few months as a trial. I know that for me, anything from the methylphenidate class of drugs causes terrible mood issues that are always an issue regardless of a crash.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-12-18, 02:11 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,421 Times in 10,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta *crash* causes long-term sensitisation/ upregulation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdpi View Post
So I want to ask if there are people here who have used Concerta long enough and experienced the *crash* long enough if they have noticed that they have long-term improvement with their AD(H)D (symptoms)!

I am specifically looking for people who have used Concerta for longer than 7 years!
I have taken Concerta for more than 7 years, and my ADHD has not improved, long-term. If anything, it's gotten worse.

However, I don't think I have experienced the kind of "crash" you're talking about, and I'm not familiar with the idea that slower dosing of methylphenidate is responsible for any dysphoria. I have not experienced dysphoria as a result of Concerta use.
Sponsored Links