ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 09-22-18, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 963 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Can a developmental delay be advanced?

M
Old 09-22-18, 06:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a developmental delay be advanced?

Can you elaborate?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-22-18)
Old 09-23-18, 06:50 PM

If development can be delayed, can development also be advanced?

M
Old 09-24-18, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Quote:
can development also be advanced?
Mild, your two questions are completely different. What are you trying to ask?
Old 09-24-18, 12:23 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,418 Times in 10,804 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Are you wondering if some people can naturally (or with environmental enhancement) be "ahead of the curve"?

Or if people who start out "behind the curve" (with a developmental delay) can catch up or be brought up to speed?

I think the answer to the first question is "yes",
and the answer to the second question is "it depends".

Last edited by namazu; 09-24-18 at 12:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Are you wondering if some people can naturally (or with environmental enhancement) be "ahead of the curve"?

Or if people who start out "behind the curve" (with a developmental delay) can catch up or be brought up to speed?

I think the answer to the first question is "yes",
and the answer to the second question is "it depends".
i do not think my cognitive executive functions started out delayed.

I think my development became delayed before the age of 4-7, due to being born with a chronic subterranean anxiety.

Yes, I am wondering if development can become "advanced" (the opposite of delayed) after development becomes delayed?

(I am not necessarily asking if a person can be brought "up to speed", but am wondering if some progress can be made)

M
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 03:40 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(I am not necessarily asking if a person can be brought "up to speed", but am wondering if some progress can be made)
Sometimes (often?), yes.
You have better self-control and self-awareness now than you did when you were 8, right?
So clearly you've made some progress. You may not have caught up to people who never had delays in those areas, but you've certainly made progress.
I guess it also depends whether you're looking for progress in an absolute sense (better than before) or also in a relative sense (closer to "normal" than before).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-24-18), mildadhd (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Sometimes (often?), yes.
You have better self-control and self-awareness now than you did when you were 8, right?
So clearly you've made some progress. You may not have caught up to people who never had delays in those areas, but you've certainly made progress.
I guess it also depends whether you're looking for progress in an absolute sense (better than before) or also in a relative sense (closer to "normal" than before).
If we consider the decline in the critical periods of implicit and explicit development.

Would the delay mostly occur during the implicit critical period of development?

M
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 04:08 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
If we consider the decline in the critical periods of implicit and explicit development.

Would the delay mostly occur during the implicit critical period of development?
Since I think you're using the words "implicit" and "explicit" in a non-standard way, I'm not sure I can really address that piece.

But in the past you've said that the "(implicit) critical period of development" is before the ages of 4-7. You stated that the delay arose before the ages of 4-7. So wouldn't that answer your question?

(I'd suspect that a delay could persist long after that period, even if that's when it began, because to be a delay there has to be some falling behind or not keeping pace...)
Old 09-24-18, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Since I think you're using the words "implicit" and "explicit" in a non-standard way, I'm not sure I can really address that piece.

But in the past you've said that the "(implicit) critical period of development" is before the ages of 4-7. You stated that the delay arose before the ages of 4-7. So wouldn't that answer your question?

(I'd suspect that a delay could persist long after that period, even if that's when it began, because to be a delay there has to be some falling behind or not keeping pace...)
The critical period of development is when brain areas involved develop for the first time.

The implicit function develops before the explicit function.

The critical period of implicit development occurs before the critical period of explicit development, in everyone.

Not sure the biology could be any more standard than that?

I am trying to understand aspects of what people are calling "delay", and can the "delay" be "advanced"?

What critical period the "delay" occurs can help us understand the "delay", as well as possibilities for advancement, due to different rates of development occurring during different periods of development.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-24-18 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-24-18, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Help me understand why do you think I am using the words "implicit" and "explicit" in a non-standard way?

M
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 07:31 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
Help me understand why do you think I am using the words "implicit" and "explicit" in a non-standard way?
The words "implicit" and "explicit" in psychology usually modify "learning" or "memory" or perhaps "self-regulation".

In these cases, "implicit" usually means it's happening at some deep/subconscious level, without you realizing it's happening,

"Explicit" usually means you're more (consciously) aware of it or actively doing something to make it happen.

(For example, implicit language learning happens when you pick up grammar and vocabulary just from hearing it spoken around you,
whereas explicit language learning may occur when you put in effort to study the grammar and vocabulary of a langauge.)

But "implicit" and "explicit" don't generally modify "development".

Early childhood development isn't usually something that happens consciously or intentionally (though I suppose someone could try to enhance their own development consciously, and other people certainly may try to help a person develop!).

When I search online for the phrases "implicit development" and "explicit development", I do not find many results related to early childhood development or psychology. That suggests that these phrases are not widely used.

If other people -- whether researchers in the field, or writers explaining the topic to laypeople -- do not use the terms the same way you are using them, or they do not use these phrases at all, then the way you are using them can be called "non-standard".

The biology you're describing may well be standard. It's just that you are describing it using specific combinations of words that are not commonly used for that purpose.

It's not an insult to say that it's "non-standard" -- it just means I have to work harder to understand what you're trying to say because there isn't a common, widely-shared, widely-accepted definition of these phrases.

But let's not dwell on that.

If I'm interpreting your comments correctly, it sounds like maybe you are interested in discussing early intervention during the critical period of development, to help mitigate or remediate a delay in the development of self-regulation?
Old 09-24-18, 08:18 PM

When I refer to critical periods of implicit and explicit development.

I am referring to the development of biological areas of the brain, during different ages and stages of development, where implicit and explicit functions originate, that you are referring to.

Example, we do not explicitly remember the first few years of life, because the biological areas involved in explicit memories are normally not mature during the early years of life.

To understand delay in development we must include the critical periods of implicit and explicit development, in the conversation.

Delay in development is often mentioned here at ADDForums, (that we know emerges biologically, before the age of 7) this thread is meant to explore, what is the delay in development, and can the delay be advanced.

If I appear to repeating the biology involved, it is because I am focusing on the genetic homologous implicit and explicit biology involved.

M
Old 09-24-18, 08:49 PM

Thanked 26,913 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a Google search for "stimulant meds and brain growth" you'll find
quite a bit of research showing that stimulant meds promote growth and
development in under-developed areas of the brain. These results seem to
be permanent.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-24-18, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
If you do a Google search for "stimulant meds and brain growth" you'll find
quite a bit of research showing that stimulant meds promote growth and
development in under-developed areas of the brain. These results seem to
be permanent.
What is the delay, in your opinion?

M