ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 08-30-18, 10:51 AM

Thanked 10,342 Times in 3,253 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: Russell Barkley

For what it's worth.

As most of you know, I'm biased in Russ's favor, not because I believe everything he

says, because I don't. There have been times when he's had to back track on his data,

most notably in support of the efficacy of Strattera, which was called into question by

the FDA in 2008. That prompted a (mandated) change in the claims put forth by Eli

Lilly & Co. I was pleased to see that, as my anecdotal experience was anything but

positive. Consequently, I "knew" there was no way it was all that it was touted to be.

Having said that, with respect to his work on the Diagnosis of ADHD, as well as on the

effectiveness of (any) stimulant(s) Decreasing the risk of a Substance Use Disorder

(SUD), I KNOW those meet the "Gold Standard" of longitudinal validity & reliability.

Therefore, I continue to view Russ in a positive (clinical) light.

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
For what it's worth.

As most of you know, I'm biased in Russ's favor, not because I believe everything he

says, because I don't. There have been times when he's had to back track on his data,

most notably in support of the efficacy of Strattera, which was called into question by

the FDA in 2008. That prompted a (mandated) change in the claims put forth by Eli

Lilly & Co. I was pleased to see that, as my anecdotal experience was anything but

positive. Consequently, I "knew" there was no way it was all that it was touted to be.

Having said that, with respect to his work on the Diagnosis of ADHD, as well as on the

effectiveness of (any) stimulant(s) Decreasing the risk of a Substance Use Disorder

(SUD), I KNOW those meet the "Gold Standard" of longitudinal validity & reliability.

Therefore, I continue to view Russ in a positive (clinical) light.

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Decreasing the negative impact of addiction with prescribed daily mild dosages of stimulants is a fascinating subject, for many reasons.

Do you know of any articles, videos, etc, by Dr. Barkley that focus specifically on that subject, that I could read/view, etc?

M
mctavish23 (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 09:13 PM

Thanked 10,342 Times in 3,253 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

mild,

I don't know about videos per se', but here are a some of the references :

Does the treatment of ADHD with Stimulants Contribute to Drug Use/Abuse?
A 13 Year Prospective Study - Barkley et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Pharmacotherapy of ADHD Reduces Risk of Substance Use Disorder
-Biederman et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Does Stimulant Therapy of ADHD Beget Later Substance Abuse ? A Meta-analytic
Review of the Literature - Wilens et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Medication for Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder and Criminality- Lichtenstein, et al, The New England Journa of Medicine, (2012);

Predicting Treatment Response in Adolescents with ADHD Who Use Substances - Tamm,
et al, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment (2013).

These are but a few of the articles I referenced for my last professional presentation;
advocating for the local Drug Court clients, diagnosed with ADHD by an informed
physician, and prescribed stimulants, to be allowed to take them (under supervision).
I'm pleased to say that the request was successful.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-31-18), mildadhd (09-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-18, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
mild,

I don't know about videos per se', but here are a some of the references :

Does the treatment of ADHD with Stimulants Contribute to Drug Use/Abuse?
A 13 Year Prospective Study - Barkley et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Pharmacotherapy of ADHD Reduces Risk of Substance Use Disorder
-Biederman et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Does Stimulant Therapy of ADHD Beget Later Substance Abuse ? A Meta-analytic
Review of the Literature - Wilens et al, Pediatrics,2003;

Medication for Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder and Criminality- Lichtenstein, et al, The New England Journa of Medicine, (2012);

Predicting Treatment Response in Adolescents with ADHD Who Use Substances - Tamm,
et al, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment (2013).

These are but a few of the articles I referenced for my last professional presentation;
advocating for the local Drug Court clients, diagnosed with ADHD by an informed
physician, and prescribed stimulants, to be allowed to take them (under supervision).
I'm pleased to say that the request was successful.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
McTavish

I have not had time to review the research articles yet.

But I wanted to say I think it is really really cool, that you help people in court struggling with these types of issues.

Because I do not want to derail this thread topic, I hope to start another thread someday discussing more specifically about the topics you mentioned.

Thanks

M