ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-13-05, 01:10 PM

pipsmom is on a distinguished road
DD is borderline ADD, possibly repeating Kindergarten?

DD hasn't done well this year in K, but has made great improvements in the last 2-3 months. In January we had her tested and she is borderline ADD (inattentive) but at this time we are not giving her meds. She is starting to grasp reading concepts and doing much better than earlier in the year, but is probably 3-6 months behind what I would see as an "average" kindergarten student.

The teacher provided some information on repeating her next year and thinks she'd benefit but the decision is ours. All of the "readiness" tests for 1st grade show her as borderline as well.

She turned 6 in Feb so she'd be 6-18 months older than the majority of her classmates and I keep coming back to the borderline ADD evaluation. What if in the next 2 years we have her re-evaluated, she is seen as true ADD and we put her on meds, then she completely catches up and is where she should be? Will we regret having her repeat K? This is my only hang-up with making the decision (I'm 90% of the way there thinking the repeated year would be good for her, she can be a leader/helper in the classroom, the teacher is fabulous, she is not ready for the work that DS (currently in 1st grade) is bringing home, etc.) - but what if a firm diagnosis were made and we tried the medication? Would it make the difference and we needlessly kept her back a year?

We are still meeting w/a LPC on a bi-weekly basis to do play therapy so we'll talk this over with her as well. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has been faced w/the repeat situation? Thanks
Old 04-13-05, 01:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsmom
DD hasn't done well this year in K, but has made great improvements in the last 2-3 months. In January we had her tested and she is borderline ADD (inattentive) but at this time we are not giving her meds. She is starting to grasp reading concepts and doing much better than earlier in the year, but is probably 3-6 months behind what I would see as an "average" kindergarten student. What you would view an average student or what the school would view an average student? There is a very big difference I've learned since I used to hold my DD to the same expectations as I hold my exceptionally smart DS.

The teacher provided some information on repeating her next year and thinks she'd benefit but the decision is ours. All of the "readiness" tests for 1st grade show her as borderline as well.Have you considered hiring a tutor thru the summer to bring your DD up to speed? We used the local college to get our DD a tutor instead of holding her back and within the span of one summer she has caught up to and passed some of her classmates.

She turned 6 in Feb so she'd be 6-18 months older than the majority of her classmates and I keep coming back to the borderline ADD evaluation. What if in the next 2 years we have her re-evaluated, she is seen as true ADD and we put her on meds, then she completely catches up and is where she should be? Will we regret having her repeat K? This is my only hang-up with making the decision (I'm 90% of the way there thinking the repeated year would be good for her, she can be a leader/helper in the classroom, the teacher is fabulous, she is not ready for the work that DS (currently in 1st grade) is bringing home, etc.) - but what if a firm diagnosis were made and we tried the medication? Would it make the difference and we needlessly kept her back a year? Ask yourself this...if no other option. Would I rather hold her back now or have her flunk later. IMHO flunking later in life would be far more traumatic to your DD's ego then choosing to hold her back now.

We are still meeting w/a LPC on a bi-weekly basis to do play therapy so we'll talk this over with her as well. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has been faced w/the repeat situation? Thanks
From a mom whose been there,
Cherity
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 04-13-05, 10:45 PM

witsend is on a distinguished road
Flunking later sux... I've been there (6th gr)... My son is 12-18 months older than his classmates & is about twice their size too. It doesn't seem to bother him ...He didn't repeat but missed the school cut off date by 2 days....Intelectually ready but not emtionally/socially. He was almost held back last year b/c he was falling behind, we did so extra work & now he's ahead... If you hold her back put her w/ a different teacher so she gets different expiriences or in a combo class (K-1).
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-05, 01:04 AM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Both of my kids spent one extra year in kindergarten and I don't regret it for a minute. They have to grow up fast enough as it is, and the pressures in school are pretty heavy duty (at least where I live). It allowed them time to mature, and catch up a bit more on their weaknesses through therapy.

One is ADD inattentive and one is extreme ADHD/ODD and they both benefited. We did notice with our inattentive ADDer that at about the half year mark of his extra year he started to get bored, but just had to introduce a few new things at home to keep him on track. Now that he is in the 6th grade that boredom is gone and he is having to work harder to keep up.

Keep in mind, that if she takes off and does really well you can always let her move up a year later. I have found, though, that although both of my kids are "above average" in intelligence they are "below average" in social development and without the social skills and maturity all the intelligence in the world won't help them to do well in school.

Kim
Old 04-14-05, 07:48 AM
Contributor

jlscott252 has disabled reputation
Maybe, your child is just a little immature, and repeating might help her, develop the skills she needs. Borderline ADD seems questional, to me. Either she has it, or she doesn't. My son is 6, and in kindergarten. He was a little immature, going into kindergarten, but has been making progress. Maybe, you can by her one of those Jump Start computer programs, to help her develop the skills that she is behind in. Those programs are always good. At walmart, they sell kindergarten, and first grade books, that help the child learn the material they need. Just an idea. Learning disabilities can mimic ADHD-like symptoms. Good luck!
Old 07-19-05, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Exclamation

What happens when she is given a 1 week trial of medication? What does her Teacher say happens in the Classroom?

When you talk to her after school (w/o meds) what does she say when you ask her "What did you do at school today?".

When you talk to her after school (WITH meds) what does she say when you ask her "What did you do at school today?"

From what i have seen, kids WITH meds CAN tell you what they did that day. ("we had recess and snack time and the teacher read us a story." etc.)

From what i have seen, Kids WITHOUT meds say "i dunno".

ADD is also a "Short Term Memory", or _Working Memory Disorder_.

Children need their _Working Memory_ to move on to Learning (aka _Long Term Memory_).

Even the physical Injury rates of ADD children are higher, than non-ADD kids. It is about safety. (e.g. inability to attend to traffic; impulsivity in crossing the street; rushing down stairs.)

I don't find any of this surprising.

I wouldn't deny my child Epilepsy medication. This Neurological Disorder is no different.

You know, I wish I had been treated as a child. My IQ is high enough to be a Surgeon or Lawyer. Sadly, _Untreated ADD_ has stolen that future away from me.

-Emma
Old 07-19-05, 01:20 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Emma,

Your doing the same thing I am doing right now. Your stealing your future from yourself. Maybe, ADD thru us for a loop in high school and beyond but now that we know our future lies in our hands its our responsibility to take control.

Maybe, being a surgeon or lawyer is out of your reach now but is a future doing something you love so far beyond your sight? Look into scholorships, look into two year schools see if there is anything that holds an interest for you.

My sister is 40 and applied and received 3 scholorships that basically pay for all of her nursing school. I guess the old addage is true---ITS NEVER TOO LATE!!!!!

Good luck to you fellow ADD'er
Cherity
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 07-21-05, 03:18 PM

scuro has disabled reputation
Don't flunk her now especially if she has bonded with her peers. What would help her is one on one teaching situations. That helps the best for learning. My one daughter has her grandma come in for the half day.
Old 07-21-05, 06:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

sgolden5374 is on a distinguished road
My middle daughter (I have 3) will be repeating 1st grade again in the fall. I am ambivalent about it, but I would so much rather her be prepared to move on than have to spend another year struggling as she did last year. You see, I WANTED her to repeat Kindergarten and the school wouldn't allow it. I think in the youngest years, Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd being held back can be more helpful than traumatic. You stated she may catch up in a few years, but the truth is too many times kids are just passed along grade to grade without ever catching up. Isn't it better to repeat at a young age than to be faced with underachievemnt later on?

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-26-05, 10:51 PM

pipsmom is on a distinguished road
Thanks all - we have decided to have her repeat and have full backing and support from the school (teacher and principal, who has a son with ADHD) and our LPC. DD is completely ok w/the plan as well. Our school handles repeaters well and sets them up as "Helpers" for the coming year which lets them be a natural leader in the class and gain more self-confidence.

Depending on how her academics go this year, we may consider a trial medication run. This may help her focus more and "get" some of the concepts she struggled with last year, but we're also hoping that the extra time/year will allow her to progress at a better pace.
Old 07-27-05, 02:03 AM

One last kick at the can here...

Don't look to school officials for guidance, they often know little in current research. I should know, I'm a spec ed teacher. Drum roll please, current research says...don't repeat.

There are exceptions to every rule but in general a child who repeats often never gets back to grade level anyways and they fall behind with time. So in reality repeating does little to nothing to address their academic short comings and conveniently ignores the fact that the student is not learning under current conditions. Hold them to the fire, why are you not teaching my child?

If your hell bent on seeing your child fail, then simply wait until highschool where they often fail anyways because course material gets a lot toughter. What does a child do who has failed once or twice in elementary and then starts failing again in high school...they drop out. What 16 year old wants to be in a class with 14 year olds?

It's not like they need more of the same anyways, they just need more 1 on 1 situations. I did that with my daughter by having my daughter home schooled by her grandmother for half or every school day and she gained 1 and 1/2 academic school years in one year. Show me any failed child who performs in a similar fashion.

..and please don't forget that your child may soon come to accept that they are stupid because that is what everyone tells them and the system is giving the same message.
Old 07-27-05, 02:38 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
What is that saying . . . something about not more, but differently?

Phaedrus

Old 07-27-05, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl
What is that saying . . . something about not more, but differently?
Exactly...in a regular class the typical ADHD student tunes out or misses the message far too often. Meds is one tool but may not be the magic bullet to increase focus, memory, and actual learning. Each child is different and you have to do trial and error to find out what works best. Typically you'll need extra support ( 1 on 1 interaction ) for your child in or out of the classroom if you want them to perform at grade level.
Old 04-02-19, 02:03 PM

dixieno14 is on a distinguished road
Re: DD is borderline ADD, possibly repeating Kindergarten?

Hi there,
I see that this post is rather old. I would like to see what decision you ultimately reached? We have a son that is in a private school kindergarten and the teacher is wavering in her recommendation to move him to first grade. Academically he's there, for the most part. He has been diagnosed with ADD (not ADHD) and his main struggle is focus. He would rather do other things in class than the work at hand and several times a week will have "did not use time wisely" written on his worksheets. The teacher has recommended possibly repeating kindergarten to help him continue to mature and possibly "grow out" of his focus struggle.
Thank you,
dixieno

Last edited by namazu; 04-02-19 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: removed real name for privacy -- please see ADDF guidelines
Old 04-03-19, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: DD is borderline ADD, possibly repeating Kindergarten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieno14 View Post
Hi there,
I see that this post is rather old. I would like to see what decision you ultimately reached? We have a son that is in a private school kindergarten and the teacher is wavering in her recommendation to move him to first grade. Academically he's there, for the most part. He has been diagnosed with ADD (not ADHD) and his main struggle is focus. He would rather do other things in class than the work at hand and several times a week will have "did not use time wisely" written on his worksheets. The teacher has recommended possibly repeating kindergarten to help him continue to mature and possibly "grow out" of his focus struggle.
Thank you,
dixieno
You can't "grow out" of ADHD, first of all. I have an ADHD daughter and the school, after a long meeting, gave her a "504" plan, which means accommodations are made in the classroom for her challenges - more time to complete tasks, gentle hands on shoulders to indicate that she should relax if she's acting hyper, etc. In the meeting, which included vice principal, teachers, and schools counselors, we came up with all of the accommodations we felt were needed and appropriate.

If this is not something that your son's school is willing to do or educated enough to do, it may be time to look for another school.

Regards,
Daniel

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.