ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 03-19-13, 07:19 PM

Danhalen is on a distinguished road
Concerta release mechanism - looking for experiences

Sorry if this post comes across somewhat disjointed - I'm currently "rebounding" and am feeling a little spaced out.

Anyway, I was diagnosed ADHD mixed type in the latter part of January this year and I've been on Concerta for a few weeks now. I'm a little over 6'2", around 335lbs and I originally started out on 18mg - Though this level did very little for me and I was quickly moved up to 36mg then to 54mg.

For a short time these doses helped to calm my temper, settle my hyperactivity and gave me a little more in the way of focus (though not substantially) for about 5-6 hours. Unfortunately this didn't last for very long and I began to feel almost as if I wasn't taking anything at all - save for some side effects (such as some dizziness and severely decreased appetite) and the inevitable daily rebound.

I'm currently on 76mg a day which I'm taking as two 36mg capsules spread 5-6 hours apart but for the most part I don't think I'm getting much in the way of benefits - If anything I feel more snappy, disoriented and unfocused than if I were to have taken nothing at all, topped off with an unpleasent period of disproportionate sadness and moderate anxiety from early evening to bedtime. I appeared to get better results by taking the entire dose in the morning though the 2pm drop off was far too counter productive and the rest of the working day was almost a write off. My GP prescribed a 10mg IR booster to help with the drop off but this was rescinded as soon as my Concerta dosage was increased to 72mg by my psychiatrist.

On Friday my psychiatrist recommended that I trial a 108mg dose (due to my size perhaps?) and observe the results. I took the plung on Saturday morning and for about 2-3 hours I felt (almost) like a new person. My concentration and focus still were not drastically improved but my mind felt so much clearer and I felt a new level of optimisim and, for lack of a better word, serenity. About 4 - 5 hours in started to feel a little "depressed" with a general malaise but by 6+ hours I felt like I was experiencing the single most horrific hangover I have ever had in my entire life - I've had pretty nasty hangovers before but what I was experiencing was worse than all of them. This horrid experience persisted until mid evening, at which point I began to feel less physically unwell and more mentally/emotionally unwell.

It is after this point I have been split dosing the daily 72mg.

I'm reasonably confident that Methylphenidate may still prove successful based on the 2-3 hours of significant improvement I experienced on Saturday morning but I am trying to figure out as to why the Concerta doesn't seem to gel with my biology. I don't know whether it's the Methylphenidate I'm not getting on with or the extended release?

Would I be right in saying that the medication in the coating of the 108mg dose would equate to approximately 25mg of IR Ritalin? If so, perhaps Ritalin would be an avenue worth pursuing?

Has anybody else experienced anything remotely similar with Concerta, and if so did you experience a benefit by switching to IR Ritalin?

Sorry for rambling on - Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Dan.
Old 03-19-13, 08:20 PM

purduekass is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta release mechanism - looking for experiences

I take 3 18 mg a day sometimes and it seems to do very little except keep me awake and level my mood. I still can't focus worth a crap. It only lasts about 3 hours for me and I weigh about 135 lbs. I tried adderall ir 20 mg one time for 3 days and it was by far superior. I had focus, energy, motivation. I'm going to try and switch soon. Bc I honestly think concerta sucks, for me anyway.
Old 03-20-13, 02:21 PM

Danhalen is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta release mechanism - looking for experiences

Thanks very much for responding purduekass.
I certainly empathise with you regarding effectiveness. My mood is for the most part more stable but I'm finding that tend to snap at things I usually would not have. It's certainly keeping me awake too unfortunately.

Today I found I was experiencing frequent periods of disorientation and a general feeling of not being quite there. It was not particularly pleasant and at one point I answered the telephone as if I were working at my previous job - a job I left over 2 years ago and didn't like very much anyway. That didn't go down so well with the boss.

One peculiar side effect I've found myself experiencing is a significant increase in obsessiveness. For example, today I spent 7 and a half hours working on a single project almost straight. My performance was not improved - if anything it was decreased, but I found my self inexorably drawn to working on the project, unable to pull myself away. This has occurred for the most part since the dosage was increased - I don't like it and I think I'm going to switch back to 36mg tomorrow.

I still have about 3 weeks before my next appointment so I suppose it's a case of riding the rough for the time being.
Sponsored Links