ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-10, 06:13 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

i think that as a result of taking stims, the side effect of insomnia is one that we have to judge as acceptable against the benefits of medication. sleep varies for me, some nights i can sleep no problem, others a few hours, tossing turing, and then i cant at all. there have been time when i couldnt sleep for a couple days, but after being on meds for some time such side effects usually pass and only become a real issue every now and then, which i can deal with.
Old 09-01-10, 12:31 PM

JayManADD is on a distinguished road

Having troubles sleeping?? To much adderall
Will do that mmkay... Take less of the drug take it early in day.. If you're on it for long term you will be able to sleep unless you are taking to high of dose later in day and popping the drug all day. You are your own worst enemy. My suggestion if you want to sleep os to take less drugs and seek help..

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 09-02-10 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: removed name calling
Old 09-08-10, 03:22 AM

Soleranz is on a distinguished road

I'm not good sleeper .. I take a bath before going to bed.. I'm not on any pills for sleep yet..
Old 09-09-10, 07:50 PM
Jr Member

daevilgangsta will become famous soon enough

Zolpidem (Ambien) is a great drug for sleep. It also does wonders for anxiety yet it is not approved for it.

Just make sure you don't take it while you're in public because it might cause hallucinations plus it makes you feel really high.

I recently got my hands on generic zolpidem (instant release) but I hated it. It did nothing for sleep. The drowsiness lasted about 5 minutes then I was fully awake. The thing is I need to get a script for Ambien CR (controlled release) so that the drowsiness turns into sleep and since its controlled release it works for a good few hours, therefore keeping you asleep.

I know the reason this medicine isn't over-the-counter (LOL) but it would be awesome if it was.
Old 09-10-10, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

myvinyl333 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroangel View Post
Wish I had a problem deep sleeping... :P

It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and then I wake up every 20 - 40 minutes. I wake up tired. I'm tired most of the day. And yet, I still cannot sleep. I don't even take naps.

Clonidine helps a little teeny bit. It's very aggrevating.

Cyndi
I too have a sleep issue. I have been averaging 4 hrs of sleep a day. Since I am on new meds (Stratera) I now dream, it must be a little deeper. I know I need the rest as I am tired all day. Sleep meds suck and resemble a bad hangover.

Funny thing is I can now go to sleep rather fast, but never past the 4 to 4.5 hr mark.

jorge
Old 09-27-10, 09:48 PM

Lostsoul092 is on a distinguished road

I stay up till 1 or so then off to bed. I can fall asleep anywhere, never get any real sleep. Some days it's so bad that I have to take a nap, or I don't drive, If I can't get a nap in(at least 2 hours). Most days I yawn a lot and always feel tired. So I told my doctor, sent me to sleep study. They said I needed Oxygen at night. Tried that for about two months and it really never helped. I have tried some drugs and have always gotten to worried about addiction to use them more then once, if at all. NOW WHAT?? I have no idea what to do. Do I talk to my Primary doctor again? Do I have anther sleep test? Self medicate? What??
Old 10-07-10, 03:27 PM

Furls is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 16, with a pretty confident diagnosis, but have had sleeping problems all my life. The problem, i find, is in stages:

Stage 1: Starts when you put your head on the pillow, then you go into that "mode" where you think about everything and anything intensely, continously going in and out of "daydreams."

Stage 2: The next stage is when you start to turn the pillow over to the cold side every 5 minutes, along with the daydreams of stage 1.

Stage 3: You become frustrated and aware that you cant get to sleep, which makes you concentrate on trying to get to sleep, with stages 1 and 2 occuring along with this.

And this is the make or break stage...

Stage 4: You accept that your not going to sleeep, and carry on trying and usually, after an hour or so you will actually fall asleep...

OR...

You accept that your not going to sleep and get out of bed and go downstairs and watch T.V/go on the computer until everyone else gets up and you can start the day.

This was a regular occurance for me and used to complain about it all the time, but nobody ever listened to me. The one day i stumbled accross cannabis, during a time in my life where insomnia was being a real problem, and i noticed hwo ti got me to sleep straight away. Ive been using it everyday since then to self medicate, for 3 years, to get me to sleep, and havnt tried going to sleep without it since. HOWEVER, i would not advise it as chronic cannabis use has negatively affected my life in so many ways and i regret ever trying it, its better having chronic insomnia trust me, but its still better than being put on serious sleeping pills like Benzo's.
On a side note, i noticed one thing since analysing my sleeping patterns. If you keep up an exact sleeping routine, it can make insomnia better. It may not work straight away, but say if you go to bed at 0:00-0:30 every night, and get up at 8:00 every morning without fail, after a week or two of doing this, i found getting to sleep not that hard, but if i ever stepped out of the routine it was instantly back to how it was. I would advise anyone wiht insomnia to give it a go, i dont know why it worked for me, but i kept that routine up for a year, and only had 1 or 2 days where it took mroe than half an hour to get to sleep.

Good Luck.

p.s. The first couple of tries, if your insomnia was as bad as mine, could be spent entirely awake but you must persevere, not matter what time you fall asleep always get up at the same time and always get into bed the same time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Furls For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (12-29-10), jjj123 (03-27-14)
Old 10-27-10, 06:03 AM

IamEuphoric is on a distinguished road

I have horrible time sleeping..seriously. I just lay there and lay there and not fall asleep. Chatter in my head, thinking of things that happened or what's going to happen. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep. I'm a sensitive sleeper. Any little sound noise or snore wakes me up. My husband moves I wake up. Sometimes I would stay up 24 hours and crash. I was put on sleeping medications years ago but accidentally threw them away..my fault. In order to put me to bed, I take NyQuil or Benadryls (2-3). I'm hoping with this following up appointment I have, I can take care of these sleeping problems. Have been dealing with them for years.
Old 11-04-10, 12:52 AM
Jr Member

CrazyAndStrange is on a distinguished road

I have insomnia at the moment but I am not tired, so today will be a day of very good mood for me, I think.

Or I will fall asleep earlier in the evening and get back a normal sleeping pattern...
Old 11-07-10, 11:03 AM

ChickenGirl is on a distinguished road
My experience with insomnia-

I also have insomnia . Not a good combnination with ADHD and shareing a room with your baby sister.

This is a general stage by stage of what happens when my sleeping pills don't work:
1. lie there in the dark trying to sleep.
2. Keep trying to sleep.
3. Phase in and out with 'day dreams'.
4. Suddenly think, "How about a story?"
5. listen to ipod stories.
6. realize that the stories might be keeping you awake.
7. switch to birdsong and music.
8. get bored wit hthat and switch back to where the book left off.
9. get restless leg syndrome, wish you could just pace a bit.
10. Give up, try to find the coolest part of the bed, roll over again and again and again, trying not to get tangled up in your ipod headphones.
11. repeat step 10 until dad goes to work, adding swiching the pillow over with it.
12 all steps must be done as quietly as possible, don't wake your baby sister up.
13 after dad leaves, get up and get online and/or knit until everyone else wakes up and you can start your day.
14. Try not to have a seizure from lack of sleep.
100% of fair maidens eaten were sacrificed to save their town.
Help raise awareness about the dangers of firebreathing chickens by posting this line in your signiture!

Last edited by ChickenGirl; 11-07-10 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Needed some elaboration.
Old 11-07-10, 11:30 AM

ChickenGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsoul092 View Post
I stay up till 1 or so then off to bed. I can fall asleep anywhere, never get any real sleep. Some days it's so bad that I have to take a nap, or I don't drive, If I can't get a nap in(at least 2 hours). Most days I yawn a lot and always feel tired. So I told my doctor, sent me to sleep study. They said I needed Oxygen at night. Tried that for about two months and it really never helped. I have tried some drugs and have always gotten to worried about addiction to use them more then once, if at all. NOW WHAT?? I have no idea what to do. Do I talk to my Primary doctor again? Do I have anther sleep test? Self medicate? What??
Don't self medicate.... Maybe you could ask your docter about some sleeping meds? Maybe you should tell him about the oxygen not working.
100% of fair maidens eaten were sacrificed to save their town.
Help raise awareness about the dangers of firebreathing chickens by posting this line in your signiture!
Old 11-07-10, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsoul092 View Post
So I told my doctor, sent me to sleep study. They said I needed Oxygen at night. Tried that for about two months and it really never helped.
Were you checked for obstructive sleep apnea?

Phaedrus

Old 11-10-10, 09:13 AM

sawmill reject has a spectacular aura aboutsawmill reject has a spectacular aura about

I have insomnia central and obstructive sleep apnea. The combination of insomnia and a cpap mask (oh yeah and an evil little black cat that learned how to push the power button on the cpap machine) aren't a good combination. The insomnia I had even before taking ADHD medication. My doctor put me on Ambien it worked good for a few months and seemed to help with the sleep apnea. Then it got where it didn't help me sleep at all. Then he added amitripylin (yes i had to go get the bottle to spell that one). Amitripylin is a mild anti-depressant with a million other uses that my doctor told me with the ambien it would help me sleep and make me less likely to try to run my boss through a wood chipper. I slept 22 hours the first night. I would only take both medicines on the weekend till i got used to them. After that they worked great for about 3 months but now I'm back to where I started. Now i get either 2 to 3 hours sleep on a good day or crash 10 hours and get no rest at all because of the sleep apnea. Oh to make things interesting my boss has me working either 14 to 15 hours a night either 5 nights a week or 4 nights and 1 day.

Any suggestions other than running boss through the chipper
The Following User Says Thank You to sawmill reject For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-10-10)
Old 11-30-10, 08:04 AM
Jr Member

rb699 is on a distinguished road
Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd19 View Post
i was wondering just how much sleep i affected by ADHD. I have historical not been a very good sleeper. (in my opinion). SOmetimes it takes a bit not usually longer then an hour depending to fall asleep. My wife it takes her sometimes less then 5 minutes. When i do go to sleep, i am sometimes up frequently, meaning awake and see the time and go back to sleep. Other times, awake and stay up and toss and turn for various times. When I do sleep sometimes it is pretty good though. I think the best night sleep I got once was when I was up for 3 days straight and went to bed, it was very good. My job affects my sleep also, so that may have soemthing to do with it, hence, wondering how much ADHD affects sleep
It sounds like your work is effecting your sleep. You may have developed a sleep disorder by being out of sink with your sleep cycle. I struggled with the same thing for years and had to educate myself on how sleep cycles work. I have literally fallen asleep for micro-naps behind the wheel many, many times. The good news is that you can figure out through trial and error the best sleep system for your body. Man, I can only tell you, it feels really good to sleep soundly and then be refreshed and alert the whole day finally with no meds!!!
Old 11-30-10, 08:09 AM
Jr Member

rb699 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like your work is effecting your sleep. You may have developed a sleep disorder by being out of sink with your sleep cycle. I struggled with the same thing for years and had to educate myself on how sleep cycles work. I have literally fallen asleep for micro-naps behind the wheel many, many times. The good news is that you can figure out through trial and error the best sleep system for your body. Man, I can only tell you, it feels really good to sleep soundly and then be refreshed and alert the whole day finally with no meds!!!