ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-08, 10:31 AM

1dsx is on a distinguished road
Re: This Forum

I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this, I think Fasthummingbird and Dragon_slayer8 are likely to see some similarities but I'm curious to see if we are having the same problem or seperate problems.

I find that at night I like to be up and doing things, sometimes I feel tired but it takes me an age to get to sleep thoughts zooming round my head and so I try to think myself into a dream (wierd I know!).

Anywho after a few hours I am asleep (or I've got so bored I'm out of bed again!) and then before I know it my wife is getting up - she might wake me and speak to me but I rarely if ever remember these conversations.

Then I fall back asleep and I won't wake for anything! This has caused major problems with appointments, getting to work / Uni etc. It's like i just can't get motivated to get out of bed and because i am such a heavy sleeper I can sleep right through the day. On the other hand no matter how early I go to bed I can't seem to sleep straight away so a bedtime of 9 will quickly become 2 or 3 in the morning

I'm not taking any meds to help me sleep though this is something i would consider and I'll be mentioning it when i go to see the pdoc. I know though that once i get into a routine of getting up, the getting up part becomes much easier (from past experience). Saying that though, despite being able to get up once I am in a routine of getting up early (may last a few days / weeks / months I couldn't say I've never paid attention until now) I just seem to eventually keep slipping into this bad habit of not being motivated to get up. Not to mention no matter how determined I am to get up, it still doesn't solve the heavy sleeper / terrible trouble getting to sleep issues! lol

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh Fasthummingbird, my mother always had trouble getting me up for school! It's still a running joke in my family and now I'm 25!

Last edited by 1dsx; 09-05-08 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1dsx For This Useful Post:
DeafNova (10-22-12), DotwithADD (09-05-08), jengen (05-03-12)
Old 09-05-08, 10:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dsx View Post
I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this, I think Fasthummingbird and Dragon_slayer8 are likely to see some similarities but I'm curious to see if we are having the same problem or seperate problems.

I find that at night I like to be up and doing things, sometimes I feel tired but it takes me an age to get to sleep thoughts zooming round my head and so I try to think myself into a dream (wierd I know!).

Anywho after a few hours I am asleep (or I've got so bored I'm out of bed again!) and then before I know it my wife is getting up - she might wake me and speak to me but I rarely if ever remember these conversations.

Then I fall back asleep and I won't wake for anything! This has caused major problems with appointments, getting to work / Uni etc. It's like i just can't get motivated to get out of bed and because i am such a heavy sleeper I can sleep right through the day. On the other hand no matter how early I go to bed I can't seem to sleep straight away so a bedtime of 9 will quickly become 2 or 3 in the morning

I'm not taking any meds to help me sleep though this is something i would consider and I'll be mentioning it when i go to see the pdoc. I know though that once i get into a routine of getting up, the getting up part becomes much easier (from past experience). Saying that though, despite being able to get up once I am in a routine of getting up early (may last a few days / weeks / months I couldn't say I've never paid attention until now) I just seem to eventually keep slipping into this bad habit of not being motivated to get up. Not to mention no matter how determined I am to get up, it still doesn't solve the heavy sleeper / terrible trouble getting to sleep issues! lol

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh Fasthummingbird, my mother always had trouble getting me up for school! It's still a running joke in my family and now I'm 25!
Wow, that is me, too! I have to use earplugs to drown out (as much as I can) snoring and the dog ("cleaning" herself). Just wish I could drown out my own thoughts, but I know that doesn't work. So, I've tried (but keep forgetting until it's too late) to take Benadryl at about 8:30 p.m. (CST) or so. But you might want to ask your pdr if that's okay, or other dr's who know what other meds you're taking. At least I don't have any allergy problems so I can sleep. At least the earplugs help me to not hear anything, much, so I can "think" myself to sleep. (I do the same thing).

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DotwithADD For This Useful Post:
1dsx (09-08-08), jengen (05-03-12)
Old 09-08-08, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotwithADD View Post
Wow, that is me, too! I have to use earplugs to drown out (as much as I can) snoring and the dog ("cleaning" herself). Just wish I could drown out my own thoughts, but I know that doesn't work.
I've quoted this for the scary amount of truth behind it, especially the dog cleaning herself part, tho mine is male and I think after 5mins or so he's stopped cleaning and is just enjoying it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1dsx For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (09-09-08), jengen (05-03-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-08, 01:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice

Quote:
I've quoted this for the scary amount of truth behind it, especially the dog cleaning herself part, tho mine is male and I think after 5mins or so he's stopped cleaning and is just enjoying it
LOL- Hope "he's" quiet about it... or is he...??? Or, no, nevermind... maybe we'll have to try to get that out of our head!

Old 09-09-08, 06:05 PM

well he's always smiling! Perhaps we should market it as a cure for depression... we would need to hand out earplug's to spouses of those affected as part of the treatment naturally!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1dsx For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (09-10-08)
Old 09-10-08, 12:46 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
well he's always smiling! Perhaps we should market it as a cure for depression... we would need to hand out earplug's to spouses of those affected as part of the treatment naturally!
LOL - your dog or your husband (smiling)? probably both, huh? LOL. Well, it does work for me (earplugs)...

But, sometimes, I have a hard time putting those earplugs in right and they either gradually come out or I keep fooling with them trying to get them to stay in. But, why complain, it could be worse... like I wouldn't need earplugs! So, okay, I won't complain anymore.

Old 12-16-08, 09:30 PM

KOJOIN is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I used to take ambien to sleep. Truth be told I kinda wish I still did, but it doesn't make sense to be taking medication day and night literally. I liked knowing I was going to sleep, but really never slept that long even with ambien. I'm not sure I didn't enjoy the comfort of knowing I would sleep more than the sleep itself. The 30 minutes after taking my medicine were really nice... I felt calm and peaceful. Miss that for sure.

My best, KOJOIN
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KOJOIN For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (11-19-11), Aquablue (03-08-09), aquariu32 (10-19-12), jengen (05-03-12)
Old 01-23-09, 11:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

jenny2 is on a distinguished road

My hubby is not on any meds nor does he have a diagnosis, but my son has adhd which i have scene allot of myself in apart from the hyper bit. nd my hubby is my son, but i would say allot worse.

From being born he has never slept. My mother in law told me that when he was about three, she put him to bed about nine oclock, he was flat out within five minutes. She was sat there watching tv, hubbys older sister and brouther were gettin sorted for bed and heard a noise outside. My hubby was wide awake sat outside on his little milk float

Hubby said when he was round about fifteen sixteen he was put on sleepin tablets, but just made him feel really ill in a mornin.

During our married life his sleep has driven me mad, as often does not come to bed with me and can be up till early hours of the morning. Then when i try to wake him, it has been a nightmare, besides putting a bomb under his pillow. Often he will wake up, sit on the edge of the bed i will come down stairs make a cuppa and he back snuggled up in bed.

When the children were babies i could never stop out as he would simply not wake.. Still now he can go four nights stoppin up till three four and some times five in the morning and then go to work for eight, leaving the house at seven.

His temper gets worse as the week goes on and by about thursday, he literally comes in from work and he is out for the count in his work clothes an all. I have to say this really upsets me some times and with me being such a light sleeper, he wakes me with the slightest of movements and then i end up not sleeping .

Is their anything i can do to help him. He went to the doctors not long back and they gave him some tablets to take, but he would hold off on taking them as was not tired and felt like he was waisting his evening if he was a sleep, but then when he really wants to go to sleep because he is so tired, he can not sleep and windes him self up

Are any of u like this, his doctor says he is an insomniac
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny2 For This Useful Post:
camallama (09-19-10)
Old 02-10-09, 10:22 AM

Lola will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi88 View Post
I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
I'm just like that, feel like I'm counting down the hours until I have to get up and getting more worked up the closer it gets, stopping me from sleeping!

I have just started taking Nytol and it works great for me. I feel much better and more active the next day too. Try it, they're not cheap but it's worth it to feel so much better.
Hey - there's a lot of you on here from bournemouth, what's going on down there
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 02-14-09, 11:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

sleeping isss not something ido wel ive not had much sleep since i was born

normal 4 to 5 horessss pernight if iam luckyyyyyyyy dorm
Old 02-22-09, 06:24 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I'm up since yesterday morning at 7 (after 5 hrs of sleep that night).

I'm debating going to sleep for a couple of hours before I have to get up and go to work today.

I kinda want to just stay up, but I know I need to sleep.

My former wife also couldn't understand my propensity for staying up all night long, sometimes two nights in a row.
I do that less now.

Still, I fall asleep rapidly once I do lay down (mostly reported to me by my former wife... she, on the other hand, says she never falls asleep as fast as I do/did).

The other problem is my sensitive hearing.
I can hear people talking outside down at street level.
It wakes me up sometimes and I cannot go back to sleep until they either shut up or leave the area.
Again.. My former wife didn't have the same issue I did. I'd sit bolt upright in bed awoken by the voices, and sometimes my sitting up would wake her up.
She'd ask me what was wrong, I'd tell her there were people outside on the street talking, she'd say, "I don't hear anything!", then go back to sleep.
I'd get up, walk to the front of the house and watch out the window and sure enough, someone would come strolling by on the street and they would be the one(s) I had heard from my bedroom.

The other thing someone mentioned was the issue about their dog licking?
UGH! That's one reason I do not have pets of my own... those tiny, repetitive, obnoxious sounds they make that drive me NUTS!

I'm not mad at the animal, but every time they make their sound over-and-over again... just makes me more tense and irritated.

I can't sleep with earplugs in... I really don't like that.

I found a meditation app for my ipod touch.
It has soft soothing background music, and a lady's soft voice walking me through a calming exercise.
I put on my headphones and this really does help me sleep better... when I use it.

Okay... I've decided... it's now 0225 and I have to be at work at 0600.
I need to be up by 0500 so I can get ready.
I'll stop now and go to sleep for a couple of hours.

I figure that'll give you all a chance to put up a whole slew of interesting posts and threads so I can read them later!

Goodnight!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
Stefan (06-09-09)
Old 02-23-09, 04:46 PM

well i dont sleep wel at all i have never done soooo in all my life if i try to gt more sleep i feel sickerrrrr cos it must be the way iam setup i guesss but it has good and bad points to it good o pointsssss i lerean moreeeee i can do more in the day coss i have more ofve it even when i do work i two can hear thingsssss dwon the road two i hear the tv tube in the back at all timeeeeeeeee itssss herrberrrrrr for me serten noiseeee and touch can drive me maddddd ive going miles to find something nice to sleep in once found i allways stickt to theat place iam up 80% the timeee so much sooo id love to have go at the record for staying up world record but they band it nowww geeeeee lol also with me i hate light being sentive to it at night all light soucesss and coverd up no matter were i go soooo to have as much dark as i can if just one small like from standby isss on and i can seee it then i wont sleep at all i do wounder sometimess the cost it must have on my brain with the lack sleep but theres not much i can about it sleeping tabs dont work

herbs teas dont make me sleep ither lol

hugssssssssss to all dorm
Old 02-27-09, 10:24 AM

cutelildeadbear is on a distinguished road

OMG!!!! So wait I'm new to this whole ADD thing and still doing research. I had the most awful experience with a psychiatrist yesterday who told me that I am not ADD, but rather that I don't get enough sleep. I told her that even though I go to bed early and have every intention of getting lots of sleep, sometimes I wake up for no reason, or sometimes it is just really hard to go to sleep. When I was little I used to count the little dahes on my alarm clock (you know on digital clocks the numbers are made up of dashes, at least mine was) but now I don't do that. I wonder why I stopped. Anyway, I wake up at night and sometimes I wake up really early in the morning and can't get back to sleep this happened last night. So, that doctor made me feel like this was all my fault!!! She said that people who don't get enough sleep often exhibit signs of ADD when they don't in fact have it. When I do sleep though, nothing can wake me up. I don't hear anything and I sleep really deep. It is like my mind is racing, but I'm not thinking about anything. Does that even make sense. God I never make sense these days. My head hurts.
The Following User Says Thank You to cutelildeadbear For This Useful Post:
aquariu32 (10-19-12)
Old 02-28-09, 08:10 PM

i dont sleep much! myself! and for them to say that isss no good sooo he/she neededs to reavalted thisss nowww its not for me to say if you are add adhd!

but! id go eles were! to check it out!

dorm
Old 03-04-09, 06:12 PM
Jr Member

Briebird is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! I have WEIRD insomnia issues and wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what i might try. Its coexistent with ADD; I'm 25 now and have been diagnosed with ADD since I was about 9 by a few different doctors. I'm on Strattera for it, which helps.

My thing with sleeping is that it seems to be a very, very stubborn nocturnal schedule. I can rarely get to sleep before 4, 5, 6 am no matter how tired I am or how long I haven't slept for. Its been this way since I was about 3 years old (its a miracle I graduated high school.) Not being able to sleep during the day for longer than 3, 4 days at a time or so will lead me very quickly to exhaustion and I've been near psychosis from it before (seeing things out of the corners of my eyes, paranoia, etc.)

This is a huge problem right now as I have mostly morning classes and am graduating in May, at which point I'll need to find a job during the day (I don't think an English degree will qualify me for many night shifts.) Recently I was put on about 25mg of Seroquel, which does help - it knocks me out - but then I sleep for about 12 hours straight and no alarm clock in the world will wake me. My roomates have tried things like screaming at me and throwing the cat at me but if I've taken Seroquel, forget it.

Yesterday, I managed to be up and functioning at 8am, got to all my classes, was thrilled. Then last night I couldn't get to sleep until late, slept till 1 today and missed my 9:50 class.

There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, has anyone found that Seroquel seems to lead to sensitization? i started out on 25 mg of it (half a 50mg pill) then found i was sleeping too long and heavily, so I started taking only a QUARTER of the 50mg pill, and still sleep too long sometimes. It seems that the longer I take it, the more sensitive I am to its effects.
DeafNova (10-22-12)