ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 10-07-04, 08:53 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Home-school your kids, and you'll solve ADD

Home-school your kids, and you'll solve ADD
Greensboro News Record - Greensboro,NC,United States
I beg to differ with Nancy Fields on attention deficit disorder (Counterpoint, Sept. 17). There is no reason to think that a bright ...
http://www.news-record.com/news/opin...ers_100504.htm

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 10-07-04, 11:14 PM
Jr Member

fivesofar is on a distinguished road
That's what I did!

I have raised six children, who all seem to have AD/HD (four have received official diagnoses of it so far) and I get annoyed when I see books about how we need to help our children adapt to the school system. It is the system that is broken, not our children! Why does the educational system continue to be so revered, in spite of its obvious deficiencies? I think that one delusion occurs because children keep on learning no matter what, and because they happen to learn while attending school, the school gets the credit for educating them.

My children were unschooled for six years, then had a variety of experiences with formal education. The two oldest went straight to college, having never attended high school, and have both graduated, one with a BA and the other with a BS. The third went to high school for one year, hated it, and then did other things and is now in college after a multi-year hiatus.

The fourth attended four years of high school, which seems to have done much harm, as he is very bright but completely burned out on formal education. He bounces from one low-paying job to another, as he becomes bored and must move on every few months or so.

I have two more children who are in high school now, attending part-time, with no intention of graduating. They plan to attend community college--on their own terms--and succeed in higher education as have their eldest siblings.

It is a scary thing to live outside the box, especially when the pro-schooling preaching is so relentless. But we must listen to our own inner voices to find what works best for each of us. I have trusted my children to find their own way, and I have not been disappointed. Only when they have tried to fit in with the norm have they run into problems with life.
The Following User Says Thank You to fivesofar For This Useful Post:
Loonette (11-10-12)
Old 10-07-04, 11:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I would love more than nothing to be organized and educated enough to home school both my children. Unfortunatly, Dakota is in an advanced program and we are often looking up research or answers on the computer to his homework since I cannot figure out the answer and Lexi needs more help in a lot of areas that were not my specialty in school. It seems to be an unlucky coincidence that their weakness's do not coincide with my strengths. *Wishing for a perfect world*

My only option now is to keep fighting the system and working to ensure that my children's rights are not being abused. But, it's always a system of compromise with no real answer in the end. I'm still working on educating myself with Nebraska State Laws and doing everything I can to ensure that my kids get the same chance at success as the "norm".

I do know that I am tired of the fight and tired of being told that multiple doctor's diagnoses of my children are wrong. I guess one teachers certificate should counter-act a PHD...well, not in my world and I am done playing nice. Before the year started I decided that my kids' rights would not be violated and I am quickly trying to educate the teachers and school staff. Lawyering up is the last option but not one I have ruled out.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-04, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
I did try home schooling for a year. It worked for my older son, but my younger son it did not. I too have ADHD, and it was a disaster. I do believe though, that our public school system is failing. Boy, I wish I could afford a private teacher for them.
Old 10-07-04, 11:52 PM
Jr Member

fivesofar is on a distinguished road
Unschooling versus Homeschooling

I have ADD along with my children. I tried HOMEschooling them and lasted about two weeks. (I was brilliant at making up schedules and educational plans, but fell down hard on the execution of them. No surprise.) Fortunately, I began reading the works of John Holt and quickly turned to UNschooling. I suggest reading everything in print by John Holt, as well as "Growing Without Schooling," the newsletter published by and for those who follow his philosophy.

The main idea behind unschooling is that we are all natural learners who want to improve. We are born wanting to grow, and, just as we were able to learn to walk and talk without formally being taught, we continue to learn the things we need to reach our full potential--if unhindered--on our own.

I think that the saddest thing that happens to those who get trapped in the system is that they lost their ability to hear their inner voice.
Old 11-10-12, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Loonette will become famous soon enough
Re: That's what I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivesofar View Post
...children keep on learning no matter what, and because they happen to learn while attending school, the school gets the credit for educating them.
Fivesofar, I realize this is a very old thread ("five so far" - that's what I was in 2004, too - and now I've got seven kids), but I was doing a search for the word "unschooling" and found this.

I enjoyed your entire post, especially the part quoted above. Just wanted to say thanks. I don't know if you are even on the boards anymore or if you will get a notification for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loonette For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-10-12)