ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 04-07-11, 05:18 AM

simplynutso is on a distinguished road
Red face Jaw clenching, tongue fidgeting

K, so I have been on Concerta for a while, all the way up to 56mg which was ridiculous for me, so doc and I have decided 36mg best option for now.

A true annoyance is this mouth-biting, jaw-tiring mouth fidgeting I seem to have acquired from this otherwise very useful Concerta.

A quick Google/Wiki search seems to advise that teeth grinding and cottonmouth are common side-effects of individuals with ADHD and meth abusers alike.

While this is a little helpful, I still am feeling a little left out, since I lack the actual teeth grinding issue, and instead have been enduring:

- jaw feels like it can't relax in general
- biting tongue and sides of mouth to death
- noticing that when my heart beats and my (front?) teeth are just very slightly apart, the beating sort of nudges them together
- cottonmouth leaving mouth dry so chew sites don't heal quickly
- again, jaw just will not feel comfortable regardless of how I arrange it

(kinda ridiculous that I am actually consciously trying to relax my jaw...)

Does anyone else have anything to share about this madness?
Old 04-07-11, 05:51 AM

simplynutso is on a distinguished road
Re: Jaw clenching, tongue fidgeting

I also should have mentioned that I was dx ADHD inattentive, and that this mouth irritation not only plagues me during the active release of the drug, but actually seems to be at it's worst about 14 hours after initially taking the pill, when I'm beginning to unwind and start to go to sleep. Thanks for any suggestions on dealing with this.
Old 04-07-11, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Simply, have you tried Biotene? It is a mouthwash that helps to combat dry mouth. I find it at my local WalMart. It is available as a mouth spray (portable) and as a gum in addition to the mouthwash.

You actually might find the gum helpful. It will give your jaw something to do that isn't clenching or chewing on your tongue and cheeks. I know that not having the dry mouth to begin with was VERY helpful for me all by itself.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
simplynutso (04-09-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-11, 01:46 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I have a problem with this too. I thought it was just me being angry. Maybe it was the adderall affecting me.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
simplynutso (04-09-11)
Old 04-28-11, 10:42 AM
Contributor

alongroad has a spectacular aura aboutalongroad has a spectacular aura about

I find myself biting my jaws frequently.

I used to do it a lot years ago when I was unmedicated. Eventually it stopped, but since Concerta it has returned.

Add in Concerta killing my appetite plus my jaws being too sore to chew at times, the weight loss is happening. But I needed to shed a few anyways.
Old 05-02-11, 06:45 PM

stones is on a distinguished road

I just started chewing sugar free gum, regulates the clenching and relieves the cottonmouth it's also been proven that sugar free gums are good for dental health.

Unfortunately I still bite my cheek by accident every once and a while.
Old 05-03-11, 02:42 PM
Contributor

alongroad has a spectacular aura aboutalongroad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stones View Post
I just started chewing sugar free gum, regulates the clenching and relieves the cottonmouth it's also been proven that sugar free gums are good for dental health.

Unfortunately I still bite my cheek by accident every once and a while.
I need some sugar free gum!
Old 05-18-11, 06:24 PM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm. I used to chew the heck out of the insides of my cheek. I am currently on Vyvanse, but switching to concerta.

After starting simulants, I noticed that I completely STOPPED chewing on myself. It was so bad that I was embarrased to go to the dentist! And it just stopped. I didn't consciously think about it or even try.

I do clench my jaw, though. I thought it was from the Tramadol (a mild pain medicine) I take, but it did get worse after I started stimulants.

I know that when my husband has to come off his dose of Tramadol he gets "restless arm syndrome" He has the feeling that he HAS to move his arm. We were talking about it the other night as I used to get restless legs when I was really really tired. It's almost like a tic. Its something that you feel like you "HAVE" to do, the longer you wait, the worse it gets, and you feel better for a moment after its done.

I guess my point was that it may not be the Concerta if you are taking other medicines. But since I haven't taken Concerta, maybe I'm just talking out of my ***.
Old 09-22-11, 12:07 PM
Jr Member

slydawg magee is on a distinguished road

Vitamin B and magnesium like a banana with a weak as hell black coffee all gone..... dunno y just works
Old 09-29-11, 09:46 PM

melpap12 is on a distinguished road

I was started on Adderall and I had the jaw clenching. I noticed it most at night when I was trying to sleep and I kept trying to relax it. Im now on Concertal 27 mg and dont clench my jaw anymore. but I do have the cotton mouth that you talked about. I always have to have a water bottle ready and Im always thirsty.
Old 09-30-11, 09:30 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,434 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall caused incredible tooth grinding/clenching for me. So much so that the dentist noticed a huge increase in wear in my teeth within an 8 month period. That was one of the things that prompted me to get *off* the meds.

I wish I had known about the biotene products. In retrospect, I wonder how much of the clenching/grinding was because of dry mouth.
Old 09-30-11, 11:07 AM

Space-Case is on a distinguished road

I find what works for me is chewing gum during the day (especially if I'm driving in traffic) and an over-the-counter mouth-guard for when I sleep. My problem is primarily clenching my jaw. My dentist told me I was getting ridges in my teeth at the gum-line due to clenching.
Old 10-05-11, 04:12 AM

GrinReaper will become famous soon enough

I had nocturnal bruxism anyways, but every since i started my meds its diurnal now. The tongue fidgeting is annoying cos it makes my mouth move a lot which looks freaky. When I try to stop it I end up tickling my palate which is weirder.

With Adderall though, i used to have the scalloping from my teeth imprints on my tongue, so mph is definitely not as bad
Old 10-05-11, 06:38 PM

melpap12 is on a distinguished road

I dont know if its the dry mouth that caused the teeth clenching because I have dry mouth on Concerta, but I dont clench my jaw like I did on Adderall.
Old 10-06-11, 08:58 PM

GrinReaper will become famous soon enough

Dry mouth and Teeth Clenching aren't correlated AFIK or have learned in dental school.