ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-19-18, 07:44 AM
Jr Member

kasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the rough
One year later... a diagnosis.

Well finally (FINALLY!) we have received the results from my 9-year-old daughter's psych-ed assessment. It was interesting, really, to see her results from the testing. The psychologist can clearly see that she has ADHD-PI, and her test results strongly support this.

We have spent a full year looking for answers. When I originally spoke to my daughter's teacher last year, she saw no issues. My family doctor met with me once and told me there was no need for a follow-up, that there is just nothing there to diagnose. I've questioned many times if it is me that has the bigger problem, maybe I'm not patient enough with her, maybe I do too much for her and that is why she isn't capable of doing these things herself, maybe my expectations are too high... maybe I'm just that crazy mom!

Filled with relief to finally have a diagnosis, and to be able to move forward and to make a plan.

And advice for those seeking answers... Don't give up. I think as parents we know when something isn't quite right with our children.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kasey_ca For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-19-18), Little Missy (10-19-18), Lunacie (10-19-18), peripatetic (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One year later... a diagnosis.

I asked at every parent-teacher meeting for 5 years whether the teachers
were seeing any symptoms in my granddaughter. Nope, she was so helpful,
so smart, her grades bounced around over the school year but never failing.

Finally when she was 10 the homeroom teacher couldn't help but see that she
was struggling. At least 3 times a week she'd get off the bus, realize she had
forgotten her homework or a book she needed ... and we dash back to school
to get what was forgotten. Too many times we were too late, door locked.

Even when she remembered to bring home her homework and the right books,
she couldn't find her homework to turn it in the next morning, getting an
incomplete grade. And finally a teacher was willing to fill out a Connor's
evaluation to get her diagnosed.

Good on you for being the advocate your daughter needs! I hope you don't
the kind of struggles we had with both of my granddaughters at the local
school. It also took 5 years to get my ASD granddaughter moved out of that
school into a school where she could learn and blossom. It's beautiful to see
that she is social at school, and that she is accepted and liked. That would
never have happened at our local school.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me