ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 09-12-18, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
ADHD is a problem of the brainstem

[Moderator note: this discussion was split off from "I Hate the Term Mentally Ill"]

The term mental illness is incredibly loosely used, and there has been another thread here talking about how uncomfortable they are with the tag. More on this later,but I am going to propose in more detail that ADHD is not a disease of the mind.
It is a problem of the brainstem. Lets not debate the specifics yet,because writing out all the sub trains of thought will take a while.
I think that if I explore the issues involved in my experience of ADHD, I can tease out the difference between "mental illness and other".

I've had another enormous breakthrough- maybe the last one required. I have not time to flesh it out now, but essentially I had cold laser treatment to an area of swollen tissue over the back surface of the odontoid peg (second cervical vertebra. Due to the whiplash induced instability between the top 2 cervical vertebrae the ligament there was swollen and when I flexed my neck was squishing my brainstem.

The cold laser helps reduce the inflammation and makes the brainstem work better.
There are a number of practitioners working on this, notably a group of neurosurgeons.
They note a series of symptoms related to these neck issues (seen in a number of patient groups) which are all referable to dysfunction of the brainstem- named cervicomedullary syndrome:

It is a long list so worth noting:
[/quote]
Cervico-medullary syndrome:
(Bear in mind that these symptoms are described in a quite coarse, broad-brush manner, and a detailed history would find them being described in a much more complex individualised way, generating a good number of sub-symptoms).
Symptoms:
Double vision
Memory Loss
Cognitive Changes
Anxiety/Depression
Dizziness/Vertigo
POTS
Tinnitus
Difficulty swallowing
Sleep apnoea
Respiratory abnormalities
Blue hands in the cold weather
Sensory loss
Fatigue
Unsteady walking
Clumsiness/ incoordination
Urinary dysfunction
Irritable bowel syndrome
Gastro oesophageal reflux
Speech difficulties
[/quote]

So they have directly listed anxiety and depression NOT as diseases but as symptoms.
ADHD fits in here too- and I really suspect that we will find it easy to explain fibromyalgia, CFS, Bipolar and maybe even schizophrenia within this model.

OCD, Tourettes and some other conditions are due to post infectious antibodies messing with the basal ganglia.

PTSD is a learned functional switch of preferred signal routing in the brain in response to a perceived life threat. That sort of thinking disorder is a sort of Mind Illness.

Then there are kids brought up in non nurturing families who have all sorts of negative thoughts about their value- another form of thinking illness.

Now in my case I have had all sorts of symptoms related to ADHD and Mania.
At first I thought they were the fault of other people in the case of the ADHD and were a spiritual breakthrough in the case of the start of the first case of mania in 1987.

With time I asked more questions and wondered about things-- "Why is that person being unfriendly- I can't understand".

With time I started through the meditation to be more observant of my body and realised that my body was stressed due to something going on (I now call that cervicomedullary syndrome)- so the others were reacting with a automatic empathic response mirroring my stress state- making a truly loopy shadow reaction between 2 peoples emotional brains.
( From an outside perspective-- you know that there are some people around who are just hard work-- that is the sort of thing going on there. They are wound up- and you reflect it back and forth).
Getting to the point here- start of 2016 I had a severe manic episode- whichlasted about 4 months and 3 involuntary hospitalisations.

Lots of odd things- time out of joint, losing things, misspelling all text messages. Physically VERY hot. I was not pleased with the hospitalistions and actually gave everyone hell- pushing all the staff as hard as I could without being restrained. I mean I'm bad enough at the best of times.

My judgment of the situation at the time was badly biased by the involvement of the Medical Board, who have been a very retrograde force locally making diagnosis hard to get and forcing my favorite doctor out of practice.(That account still has to be settled).

So here is the thing, despite severe turbulence, with the divorce thrown in, and lots of pain making sitting meditation really hard, I have kept a nearly unbroken mindfulness over about the last 5 years. The odd day off here and there- but pretty good.
Through almost all this time, though I was doing really nutty things like locking myself out of the house 5 times in 1 day at the worst.

I will trim down the comments on spiritual practice to say they involved close observation of the body as a meditation practice, and sticking to some simple formulae and lessons about how we should be acting towards each other and how we get confused about reality. That was important- Ive been working on it for years so it is very clear and simple in my mind.

Finally - the punchline:
This thought grew stronger every day:
"This bad stuff is not me. It is my brain and my body.
I'm sitting here, with the same clear mind I use when I am meditating-but this brain body thing is doing some weird stuff, and i wish I could stop it because I am upsetting people".

So what Im getting at is that if you can see what is happening and acknowledge it even if it is not good,if you can see that you just behaved badly and hurt someone -even if they had it coming and your brain was offline, if you can see that and say to yourself that is really interesting. It sucks, it is not right and not what I aspire to be, I had better pay close attention and see if I can prevent a repeat performance-- then that is not in any way shape or form mental illness.

Anxiety and depression equally are not mental illness, they are symptoms.

Now a lot of this thread has been about saying you don't like the label.
Ive got news for you all- the psychiatric profession is very weak on nomenclature. They don't know the difference between a symptom, a syndrome or an illness.
What's worse, though they all acknowledge that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental or neurobiological disorder- you never hear of a neurological examination being done. There are positive findings to be detected. trust me.

Last point- I was reading an article in psychology today by a family therapist saying she thought ADHD didn't exist, it was all due to family conflict.
Now ADHD can tear families apart- raising a really hyper ADHD child is no easy task. So this lady had a cause and effect problem.
She was half right. ADHD is not a disease, it is a symptom. I would say a symptom of a brainstem injury, a brainstem injury whose symptoms often respond very well to stimulants. I have enough material now. I will win that argument when I have tidied up all my references.

Well those are my thoughts. Unconventional, but check out the new signature.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by namazu; 09-12-18 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: added moderator note re: thread split
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
benito (09-13-18), Daniel1970 (09-12-18), Greyhound1 (09-16-18), Pilgrim (09-19-18)
Old 09-12-18, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ADHD is a disease of the brainstem

Wow - keep me posted. Definitely will look into it. I have a lot of those symptoms.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 09-12-18, 10:04 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Aside.
I cannot believe the confusion that exists in the psych profession over this symptom, syndrome, disease issue, not to mention the cause and effect issue.

The anti ADHD mob are even worse thinkers.
Neither of those are mental illnesses.

its a good thing these people are not designing planes.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-18, 04:28 PM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 963 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Aside.
I cannot believe the confusion that exists in the psych profession over this symptom, syndrome, disease issue, not to mention the cause and effect issue...
...Neither of those are mental illnesses.

Interesting

What are the thread definitions of symptom, syndrome, disease, cause and effect, etc..?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-15-18 at 04:44 PM..
Old 09-15-18, 04:42 PM

Re: ADHD is a problem of the brainstem

Kunga Kanga Dorji

If AD(H)D is primarily a problem of the brainstem, do you consider AD(H)D primarily a affective problem, or, primarily a cognitive problem?

M
Old 09-15-18, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Interesting

What are the thread definitions of symptom, syndrome, disease, cause and effect, etc..?

M
Wherever they are, it is clear that doctors often cant find them.

As one little swing at the big boys-- imagine writing a book called "The Myth f Mental illness" when you can't define mind.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-15-18, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGM1970 View Post
Wow - keep me posted. Definitely will look into it. I have a lot of those symptoms.

D.
Big nws- lowlevel laser treatment to the brain stem settled the low oxygen inflammatory stat, and I have had no symptoms at all for days.

This is complex and i need to write up the details to explain better what is going on.
This is already recognised as a cause of neuropsychiatric illness ( It took a neurosurgeon to spot that one).

I a aiming to publish a paper on it illustrating the causes that make this problem express as one disorder or another. I have most of the ideas and already one contributing author from the US.
Thi is highly significant- maybe bigger thanpencillin.
I am now in the run up to return to work afer having been off work for nearly 3 years becaue of syptoms of thisproblem including a severe manic episode.

I will have to go back half time and be under supervision as an impaired doctor for a while.

Perfect time to publish
You think I'm impaired -- check this out.
That is called a blindside.
Great publicity stunt and it will get the word around fast.
Im already practicing my swing with the "backhand middle finger".

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-16-18, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Kunga Kanga Dorji

If AD(H)D is primarily a problem of the brainstem, do you consider AD(H)D primarily a affective problem, or, primarily a cognitive problem?

M
The brainstem generates all the sensory data that is later fed in to the Insula to create emotions.
That data is summated to give a current assessment of the state of the body- and the current neuroscience understanding is that the role of the emotional system is physiological homeostasis. (Food, temperature etc).

Emotions are relevant in salience, and the brainstem and right brain especially take that information and decide what needs to be done to maintain homeostasis. That means anything from having a drink of water to running from a tiger.
Now those decisions are made well before cognition comes in to it.

The corticocentric/ cognocentric model of human neurophysiology has passed away. It is no longer with us-- but a few elderly medical scientists who focus on "syndromes" rather than normal brain function have yet to find that out.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-16-18, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Interesting

M

Ah, I meant to give an accurate answer as well as a flippnt one:

Symptom- is a subjective complaint made by a patient. (IE doctor ive got a runny nose).
A SIGN is an indication of the problem noted by the doctor. ( Looks at nose - sees snot)

A syndrome is a group of symptoms and signs (and sometimes lab tests) that are often found together, but may have different causes.
IE ADHD
IE Hypothyroidism-many causes including- iodine deficiency, thyroid injury, congenital thyroid problems etc

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-16-18, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now a lot of this thread has been about saying you don't like the label.
Ive got news for you all- the psychiatric profession is very weak on nomenclature. They don't know the difference between a symptom, a syndrome or an illness.
What's worse, though they all acknowledge that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental or neurobiological disorder- you never hear of a neurological examination being done. There are positive findings to be detected. trust me.
I have to tell you KD- I am very proud I made it through your post, I often have trouble with the logistics of things. I am interested in the bolded parts: People keep saying adhd is a mental disorder or illness yet I do not identify with that. It makes sense that it could be neurological in nature yet I hear conflicting information about adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-16-18, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The brainstem generates all the sensory data that is later fed in to the Insula to create emotions.
That data is summated to give a current assessment of the state of the body- and the current neuroscience understanding is that the role of the emotional system is physiological homeostasis. (Food, temperature etc).

Emotions are relevant in salience, and the brainstem and right brain especially take that information and decide what needs to be done to maintain homeostasis. That means anything from having a drink of water to running from a tiger.
Now those decisions are made well before cognition comes in to it.

The corticocentric/ cognocentric model of human neurophysiology has passed away. It is no longer with us-- but a few elderly medical scientists who focus on "syndromes" rather than normal brain function have yet to find that out.
While I disagree with the idea of sensory data "creating emotions", without also considering/including the genetic unconditioned primary emotional-affective response systems, originating in the midbrain brainstem area, we are all born with. ( I will save that conversation for another thread)

Physiologically, sensory, homeostatic and emotional feeling systems are primarily affective.

In other words, if I understand your opinion correctly, we agree that AD(H)D is primarily a affective problem?

M
Old 09-16-18, 10:11 PM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

are you saying the symptoms of adhd are caused by brainstem issues ?

can be caused by brainstem issues?

are always secondary symptoms of something else, brainstem injury being one?

sorry, confused

you know, ive always had issues of posture, my head is facing down a lot, stressing the neck, when meds work it seems my posture straightens out and my head is straight up and down, shoulders back

weird?
'So they have directly listed anxiety and depression NOT as diseases but as symptoms.
ADHD fits in here too- and I really suspect that we will find it easy to explain fibromyalgia, CFS, Bipolar and maybe even schizophrenia within this model"

are you familiar with 'anti-NMDAR encephalitis'?
Old 09-17-18, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have to tell you KD- I am very proud I made it through your post, I often have trouble with the logistics of things. I am interested in the bolded parts: People keep saying adhd is a mental disorder or illness yet I do not identify with that. It makes sense that it could be neurological in nature yet I hear conflicting information about adhd.

The trouble is that "mental lllness" is categorised without having an adequate definition of mind. Really how can you even start to get your head around mental illness when you don't know what the word "mind" means?

I have had a dramatic breakthrough in the last week- (complex for now but I identified something that was pinching my brainstem. Long term this will need to be followed up with more chiro and fitness stuff- but I had low level laser treatment to my upper spinal cord, lower brainstem on Thursday and Saturday. It worked straight away. My mind is crystal clear (and trust me I am a "connoisseur of fine consciousness". This is pretty fine. I talk less, but say more. My driving is much tidier (and faster). If I am tired, I lie down and go straight to sleep(That is just weird- 2 monthsago I was going as much as 5 days with no sleep at all-- and feeling horrible. Im nursing a broken rib because of the amount of sleepers i needed to break one of them cycles).

It is wonderful. Heaven on a stick. I feel so good I would leave James Brown in the shadows.

I have a lot more on my private blog- but is it ok to post it here?
This is really big, and I will be publishing in a scientific journal

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-17-18, 07:16 PM

Quote:
The trouble is that "mental lllness" is categorised without having an adequate definition of mind. Really how can you even start to get your head around mental illness when you don't know what the word "mind" means?

I have had a dramatic breakthrough in the last week- (complex for now but I identified something that was pinching my brainstem. Long term this will need to be followed up with more chiro and fitness stuff- but I had low level laser treatment to my upper spinal cord, lower brainstem on Thursday and Saturday. It worked straight away. My mind is crystal clear (and trust me I am a "connoisseur of fine consciousness". This is pretty fine. I talk less, but say more. My driving is much tidier (and faster). If I am tired, I lie down and go straight to sleep(That is just weird- 2 monthsago I was going as much as 5 days with no sleep at all-- and feeling horrible. Im nursing a broken rib because of the amount of sleepers i needed to break one of them cycles).

It is wonderful. Heaven on a stick. I feel so good I would leave James Brown in the shadows.

I have a lot more on my private blog- but is it ok to post it here?
This is really big, and I will be publishing in a scientific journal

Oh- and my writing is rapidly becoming more direct and brief.
Im sure that will be greeted with many sighs of relief.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-17-18, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Oh- and my writing is rapidly becoming more direct and brief.
Im sure that will be greeted with many sighs of relief.

See?

(That word was all that was needed- except the ADD Forums "under-verbosity filter was activated

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.