ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-13, 01:16 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Writing in the active voice using action verbs

I hope my writing becomes more compelling. I will use this thread to practice and so can you.

Write one sentence using the active voice with strong action verbs.

Examples of active voice:
  • Marilyn mailed the letter.
  • I threw the ball.
Examples of passive voice:
  • The letter was mailed by Marilyn.
  • The ball was thrown

Examples of action verbs owlnet.rice.edu/~cainproj/writingtips/preciseverbs.html:
  • Accelerate
  • Agree
  • Depict
  • Hamper
  • Probe
  • Purify
  • Situate
  • Suggest
From dailywritingtips.com:
"sentences in the active voice have energy and directness, both of which will keep your reader turning the pages."

"Sentences written in the active voice are also less wordy than those in the passive voice – and cutting unnecessary words always improves a piece of writing, whether it’s fiction or non-fiction."

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-27-13), Fuzzy12 (02-27-13), ILikeHats (04-29-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-01-13), Seaweed603 (04-11-13)
Old 02-27-13, 01:21 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Writing in the active voice using action verbs

I created a writing thread.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-27-13), Flory (03-04-13)
Old 02-27-13, 01:27 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

I highfived anonymouslyadd.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (02-27-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 03:17 AM

ericmorgan is on a distinguished road

I got valuable information from you. thanks for sharing, yes we need to express our feeling with good English, simple and readable sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericmorgan For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-17-13)
Old 02-27-13, 01:30 AM
Moderator of all seasons

BellaVita made me smile.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-27-13)
Old 02-27-13, 01:36 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Implementing strategies into your life creates success.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-27-13)
Old 02-27-13, 02:55 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Droppin' knowledge to share with others fosters community.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-02-13)
Old 02-27-13, 11:25 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,434 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Drinking coffee awakens my higher cognitive abilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-13, 12:58 AM
Moderator of all seasons

I clarified my initial statement so the audience understood my point.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-01-13, 03:36 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Ruminating thoughts chase away a peaceful mind.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-01-13, 04:36 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Ruminating minds chase away a peaceful thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-13, 12:18 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of

Creativity saps from anonymouslyadd's pages like a ravenous dog waiting for its next meal.

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to crystal8080 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-13, 03:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been confused by active vs. passive... and I'm not saying that to practice, I am just saying it because it's true.

It took my professors 3 (of 4) years to give up on trying to explain it to me...

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-13, 04:20 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of

I swear I learned it from using Microsoft Word. That stupid annoying bubble coming up alerting me that I am "using the passive voice consider revising"

so annoying.

Sorry...

Microsoft Word taught me about passive writing.

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crystal8080 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-02-13), Gilthranon (03-04-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-01-13), silivrentoliel (03-01-13)
Old 03-02-13, 03:02 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Writing in the active voice enlivens the reader's brain.

~Paulo Coelho