ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 12-07-18, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough
Re: Generic Dexedrine ER Manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Burton View Post
I use the 15mg spansules, and have only experienced the Barr brand and I believe the Mylan brand (The 15mg capsules are white with red print). I prefer the Barr brand because they seem to work less subtlety which I like and do not feel like a distant, vague feeling of focus that Mylan provides. I’ve noticed that Milan can leave me listless sometimes and somewhat melancholy, especially towards the end of the day, even before the crash, which I always negate anyway with heavy duty, schedule 2 hypnotics.
Dude, yes, same experience here. Mylan really doesn't work that well... I get melancholoy/listless on it.. i'm upset cus I don't have the inner clarity I want and that I get from the other stimulants. It's like it's missing an essential ingredient of some sort. There's other benefits to it though.
Old 12-07-18, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracee222 View Post
Thanks cobain67, I hope so too! The only thing current that I've found on dex er is that Mylan discontinued it last month.
Hey, this is REALLY helpful to know as I've been looking all over for it. How do you figure out something like that? Did a pharmacist tell you that?
Old 12-09-18, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdseeker View Post
Hey, this is REALLY helpful to know as I've been looking all over for it. How do you figure out something like that? Did a pharmacist tell you that?
You can check out the FDA's website which lists current drug shortages as well as those to be discontinued by certain manufacturers.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...es/default.cfm
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-18, 06:03 PM

scubaboy6834 is on a distinguished road

So, I'm going to ask my p-doc about switching my XR med, maybe to the spansules because IR Dex (Zenzedi) has been so helpful. So far I seem to have issues with extended release meds.

Anyway, I looked at dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/druginfo page and apparently Impax and Lineage make the authorized generics of the now gone brand name Dexedrine Spansules.

It's interesting to see that these two have way less inactive ingredients than all the other generics according to this page's info. And there's some bizarre inactive ingredients in some of these Dex generics! Check it out.

Anyone try Impax or Lineage Dex ER?
Old 12-09-18, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

I've tried the impax generic and was not a fan. I found the troublesome side effects outweighed any benefits. Now this was the impax generic, not the more expensive proclaimed brand that looks identical, of which they also manufacture. If you do try impax generic I hope your experience is different--and if you try their name branded vesrion keep us posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
scubaboy6834 (04-07-19)
Old 12-13-18, 02:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,068 Times in 15,337 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Stumbled on this, not sure how relevant it is now but I posted it in the above thread before seeing this one, If mods want to move or delete go ahead.

Quote:
Generic Dexedrine Availability
drugs.com/availability/generic-dexedrine.html
Print Share
Dexedrine is a brand name of dextroamphetamine, approved by the FDA in the following formulation(s):

DEXEDRINE (dextroamphetamine sulfate - capsule, extended release;oral)
Manufacturer: IMPAX LABS INC
Approved Prior to Jan 1, 1982
Strength(s): 5MG [RLD] [AB], 10MG [RLD] [AB], 15MG [RLD] [AB]
Has a generic version of Dexedrine been approved?
Yes. The following products are equivalent to Dexedrine:

dextroamphetamine sulfate capsule, extended release;oral
Manufacturer: ACTAVIS ELIZABETH
Approval date: November 30, 2012
Strength(s): 5MG [AB], 10MG [AB], 15MG [AB]
Manufacturer: MAYNE PHARMA
Approval date: January 18, 2002
Manufacturer: MYLAN PHARMS INC
Approval date: January 27, 2016
Manufacturer: NESHER PHARMS
Approval date: June 27, 2017
Manufacturer: SPECGX LLC
Approval date: May 6, 2003
Manufacturer: VINTAGE PHARMS
Approval date: October 31, 2017
Note: Fraudulent online pharmacies may attempt to sell an illegal generic version of Dexedrine. These medications may be counterfeit and potentially unsafe. If you purchase medications online, be sure you are buying from a reputable and valid online pharmacy. Ask your health care provider for advice if you are unsure about the online purchase of any medication.

See also: Generic Drug FAQs.

Further information
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.

Medical Disclaimer

Glossary
Term Definition
Drug Patent A drug patent is assigned by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and assigns exclusive legal right to the patent holder to protect the proprietary chemical formulation. The patent assigns exclusive legal right to the inventor or patent holder, and may include entities such as the drug brand name, trademark, product dosage form, ingredient formulation, or manufacturing process A patent usually expires 20 years from the date of filing, but can be variable based on many factors, including development of new formulations of the original chemical, and patent infringement litigation.
Drug Exclusivity Exclusivity is the sole marketing rights granted by the FDA to a manufacturer upon the approval of a drug and may run simultaneously with a patent. Exclusivity periods can run from 180 days to seven years depending upon the circumstance of the exclusivity grant.
RLD A Reference Listed Drug (RLD) is an approved drug product to which new generic versions are compared to show that they are bioequivalent. A drug company seeking approval to market a generic equivalent must refer to the Reference Listed Drug in its Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA). By designating a single reference listed drug as the standard to which all generic versions must be shown to be bioequivalent, FDA hopes to avoid possible significant variations among generic drugs and their brand name counterpart.
AB Products meeting necessary bioequivalence requirements. Multisource drug products listed under the same heading (i.e., identical active ingredients(s), dosage form, and route(s) of administration) and having the same strength (see Therapeutic Equivalence-Related Terms, Pharmaceutical Equivalents) generally will be coded AB if a study is submitted demonstrating bioequivalence. In certain instances, a number is added to the end of the AB code to make a three character code (i.e., AB1, AB2, AB3, etc.). Three-character codes are assigned only in situations when more than one reference listed drug of the same strength has been designated under the same heading. Two or more reference listed drugs are generally selected only when there are at least two potential reference drug products which are not bioequivalent to each other. If a study is submitted that demonstrates bioequivalence to a specific listed drug product, the generic product will be given the same three-character code as the reference listed drug it was compared against.
https://www.drugs.com/availability/g...dexedrine.html

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (12-28-18), scubaboy6834 (04-07-19)
Old 06-04-19, 01:37 AM

FuzzyGinger is on a distinguished road

Currently on Actavis 15mg 4x Day. Seems to work, but I often wonder about trying Vyvanse.
The Following User Says Thank You to FuzzyGinger For This Useful Post:
scubaboy6834 (06-24-19)
Old 06-04-19, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,979 Times in 6,693 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGinger View Post
Currently on Actavis 15mg 4x Day. Seems to work, but I often wonder about trying Vyvanse.
Why switch to a med which yields the same active drug, but at a much weaker level?

Wondering,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
cobain67 (06-05-19)
Old 06-18-19, 07:46 PM

scubaboy6834 is on a distinguished road

The only one I've tried (and was just prescribed Dex ER for the first time several days ago!) is Mylan. It works well until uncomfortable headaches come on after four hours.

I'm wondering if brand Dexedrine Spansules might not cause this. I've had a history of having trouble with certain generics, or else their inactive ingredients (and Mylan has A LOT). Has anyone tried to get brand spansules ordered by your pharmacy? If it was a chain, which one? CVS said they couldn't get them when I stopped by after my p-doc appointment. I know they won't tell this info over the phone; they only told me because my e-script was there already.

Anyone know what generic Walgreen's and Rite-Aid tend to use for Dex ER? Maybe another generic won 't cause the headaches. I like how I don't feel melancholy anymore when my pm booster (Zenzedi) wears off. When I was taking Zenzedi 3x a day, I was morose three hours after taking my third dose. Now, with the Dex ER in the AM, my PM Zenzedi dose wears off without mood crashes.

I 'm hoping that brand ER, or a different generic, will solve my headache issue. I couldn't figure out how to dose Zenzedi all day without the end-of-the-day sadness (anyone deal with this?). Hopefully this will just be an issue of switching pharmacies.
Old 06-18-19, 08:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,979 Times in 6,693 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaboy6834 View Post
Anyone know what generic Walgreen's and Rite-Aid tend to use for Dex ER?
I don't know what Rite-Aid has, but Walgreens tends to have Teva/Barr, which I took for years without a problem.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
scubaboy6834 (06-24-19)
Old 08-10-19, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

Walgreens here stocks Actavis.
Old 08-22-19, 02:56 PM

catnips is on a distinguished road

I've been going around for days now looking for an answer as to why I feel so irritable lately. The 3pm swing and the hateful rage demon emerge constantly and being a spansule veteran for years now, I'm very familiar with those effects. I feel stupid for not considering that I had switched from Actavis to Mallinkrodt generics.
Old 08-22-19, 03:43 PM

aspergers4me is on a distinguished road

I’m taking the Actavis ER capsules but I’m trying to find a pharmacy that will order Dexedrine brand Spansules by Amneal Specialty...