ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-19, 08:14 AM

cjeeves is on a distinguished road
HELP - relocated to Europe and no meds!

I have been taking Adzenys for approximately 18 months and was VERY happy on it. Prior to that I was taking Adderall which was great but the crashes when it wore off were awful - also too high a dose completely changed my personality.

Anyway, I digress....we relocated to Luxembourg just over 3 months ago and I had to get an extension for my final research project for my master's degree in health psychology. I am now at the point where I have exactly one month left before the submission date and I am nowhere even close to writing it up. I took the last of the Adzenys about a month and a half ago and I am seriously struggling. My primary doc here only prescribes Ritalin (which my doc in the US has told me to steer clear of) and he has suggested seeing a psychiatrist to see if they are able to prescribe anything else (e.g., Adderall).

Now, here's the kicker - I have never been officially diagnosed with ADHD. I was tested a few years ago but I was taking Adderall at the time so OF COURSE it came back that I didn't have ADHD (duh).

I don't know what to do. I haven't yet found an English speaking psychiatrist who may prescribe Adderall, I don't even know if they have it in this country. I am DESPERATE. I've fought and worked SO hard these last 3 years to get this master's degree and I'm going to fail on the the final research project if I don't get help. Please...anybody?
Old 09-20-19, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,498 Times in 13,311 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP - relocated to Europe and no meds!

I know that only ritalin is prescribed in France (i do not know why...) . i was diagnosed there,fortunately this med worked for me. could you look into finding a dr in the Netherlands or Germany, or the UK ? there is an American hospital in Paris, perhaps they could give you some information.
contact a US embassy, they may have a list of doctors.
Old 09-27-19, 11:59 AM

Thanks so much for the reply stef. I fear I will run out of time before I can find a doctor who can prescribe Adderall or something but I will give it a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjeeves For This Useful Post:
stef (09-28-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-19, 02:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at the vademecum in luxembourg and can't find any amphetamine. You only have metiphenidate (ritalin 10mg and concerta 18, 36 and 54mg). Sorry, I would try the concerta and give it a chance. It may work for you during this time.
Old 09-28-19, 05:07 AM

Thank you benito. I'm willing to try anything at this point so I'll give it a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjeeves For This Useful Post:
benito (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 05:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

I would start with the lowest dose and see how it works. Less side effects while your body adapts to it.