ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-17-08, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

A1A5KA has a spectacular aura aboutA1A5KA has a spectacular aura about
ADD Coach

Hi everybody,

OK, here's the situation: I'm in college, full-time, at a really small university. (>1000 students) The school only has one "counselor" available in student services; she's a psychologist and is also the director of Disability Services. Luckily, I get along great with her. She's the one who finally got me into testing and counseling, resulting finally in a diagnosis of ADHD-Combined Type, and then referred me to a doctor for meds. Last semester, before I started meds, I saw her for counseling at least once a week, sometimes more, but it just wasn't enough and I finally decided to start taking meds. I'm now on Dexedrine and Lexapro. But again, I just need a little extra help with my life, particularly since I'm usually up and awake for 16 hours of the day, but the meds only last for 8 hours! So I went back and asked if she could help me. Well, it turns out that she has a Master's student working with her this semester who not only has some time available, but also actually has some experience as an ADD Coach! So, I have an initial appointment with her (the Master's student) next week. Anyhow, my question to all of you is this: I've never actually had an ADD Coach or known anyone who has. What should I expect from her? What sorts of things does a coach help you with? Can anybody give me an idea of any experiences they've had? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Amy

Current medications: 40 mg Lexapro & 20 mg Vyvanse

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
- Thoreau
Old 10-17-08, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

hillzy has a spectacular aura abouthillzy has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADD Coach

Hey!

I've gone through pretty much, the exact same situation as you. I've been working with a coach since the summer. PM me!!

"...You are not to blame for your bittersweet distractors"--Radiohead