ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-12-07, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

A1A5KA has a spectacular aura aboutA1A5KA has a spectacular aura about
What should I ask for?

Hi everyone,

I have a question and I hope you can help. First, a little background information:

I am 36 yrs old, a full-time undergraduate college student - majoring in Marine Biology, single, no kids, never married, no "significant other" at this time.

I've been going to college off and on for over a decade now, but only full-time the last few years. Due to having to take remedial math/chemistry/physics classes, repeating classes to improve grades, switching majors and/or universities and generally not know where I was going with my life, college is taking me a very long time. I will probably graduate in Fall of 2010.

So far in both high school and college, my academic performance can be summed up by this quote: "And when she was good, she was very very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid!"

Due to a high IQ, a love of reading, ability to read fast, ability to b.s. my way through essay questions and a lot of late night cramming, so far I've been able to squeeze by with decent grades. At least up until now.

This semester, though, has been awful. For the first time, I was in 3 very difficult, upper division classes. (I took Trigonometry, Chemistry and Ichthyology) For the first time, I couldn't selectively skip classes or drift off and daydream, since all information was interrelated and built on what came before. Plus two of the classes were math intensive - and that is definately not my best subject. I felt like I was getting further and further behind...

So I went to the school counseling center to ask for advice on study skills and time management. Yeah, I admit it, I was hoping for a quick seminar, a book, or if needed, a pill that would magically solve all my problems and clear up the completely disorganized statterbrained mess that is my life in general.

Instead, as you've probably guessed, they told me I probably have ADD and started me on counseling. So far, it's a "preliminary diagnosis", I'm in the process of testing to confirm the diagnosis for sure. But supposedly I have Inattentive ADD.

I really do think the diagnosis is right, because it just plain fits! I read posts here on the forums and my first thought is 'Have these people been following me around and/or reading my journal?' and my second is 'You mean there are other people in the world like me!?!'

Anyhow, enough background information - did I mention I'm a chatterbox both in person and in print? - here's my question:

Assuming that I get the official diagnosis of ADD, I will then be able to ask for "accommodations". What should I ask for? I don't really know what I need. If there is anyone here who has any ideas, especially if you have inattentive add, will you please share with me what has or hasn't worked for you and what accommodations you would recommend?

Thanks,

Amy
Old 12-12-07, 10:18 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,057 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What should I ask for?

Warm welcome to you A1.

Maybe this thread will help a little, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45823