ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-12-05, 08:49 PM

jog56 has disabled reputation
Adhd And Language

If you only want to pass the class not learn Spanish, memorize the vocabulary. Many ADHDers are good at memorizing but not good with grammar. Stick with your strengths, use flash cards, and you might get by at the Community college level.fficeffice" />>>

>>

Good luck.>>
Old 10-13-05, 09:50 PM
Jr Member

cakara is on a distinguished road
My husband is from another country. No matter how hard I tried to learn the language, I never could! Tell you what, Blue Ranger, I am amazed when people learn another language and can communicate in it! My husband said he knew he had the english down when he started dreaming in it!

Of course when it comes to me, I don't even think I could pass a TOEFL and I was born and raised in the US!
Old 10-13-05, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chain has disabled reputation
We tend to learn language very differently from most...it takes full immersion. We are slow to start but become fluent quickly. I have lived in 3 foreign countries and knew ADDers in all of them...and that was the patter...slow out of the gates but rapid fluency when immersed and forced to speak it...also, excellent pronunciation

Our brains are like children's....so we learn language like children do.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 10:38 PM
Jr Member

When we visit my inlaws, I find with in a few days I can pick up on some of the conversation. They all live in the states but the older generation really never learned English.I would imagine if we spent more time together, I d start to speak a little more. Instead we play charades. (And laugh ourselves silly.)
Old 10-15-05, 07:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

ClarityWhere is on a distinguished road
What Umichu says about learning from as many angles as possible is totally true.

Try watching DVDs in Spanish with the subtitles also in Spanish. Don't expect to understand everything, don't even try. You'll find that you pick up a lot very quickly.

Also buy a CD of pop music that has the lyrics in the case, and be sure you know the vocab. for the lyrics of one song. Whenever you can, do this for a song until you know all the words for the entire album. Music helps stuff to stick. (Of course it'll also give you some phrases that'll sound stupid in conversation, but...)

Having learned two foreign languages by immersion, I was taken aback when I got results of a general comprehensive aptitude test ... it said I was basically bad at languages and good at math-science stuff. If I'd known that, I'd never have bothered. (Although my college had a language proficiency requirement so I had to do something.)
Old 10-17-05, 12:43 PM
Jr Member

My husband watched a lot of soap operas when he first came. Not only did it teach him english but how to use every day english. I know cable has soap operas in Spanish and in some of the Asian languages.
Old 10-17-05, 09:25 PM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
But if the issue isn't learning the language for enjoyment, or to communicate with someone, or because you want to--and it's all about grammar, then maybe a different study method would work, like Jog56 suggested.

I took Latin in college with a guy who had a brilliant business mind, but no foreign-language learning skills whatsoever. He had to get through his language requirement, and had had enough Latin that he'd only need another semester or 2 to finish.

He didn't even look at it as a foreign language (not that anyone actually speaks it, but that's beside the point (g)). He would memorize the entire translation passage--only a portion would appear on the class quizzes, but he'd memorize it all, so he could regurgitate whatever part the prof picked for the quiz. Even if he had to guess his way through the grammar/vocab part, he would get a good enough score on the translation to get himself a passing grade.

We'd all laugh and say, if you're going to spend hours memorizing a passage, why not use that time to study for real?

He'd look us straight in the eye and reply, "because I can't get my mind around it. This is a better use of my time, and better for me."

If it's just grammar or dry facts (rather than language fluency) that you need, I suggest approaching language study concentrating on what's going to be tested, and getting through that, rather than trying to take on the huge task of learning a new language.

Just an idea.
Old 10-18-05, 01:21 AM
Contributor

bythesea has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronADHD
I have been through many foreign languages and if I only had to work on that class I am sure I could pull together a devent grade
I realize that your parents are pushing you since this is your 3rd year, but have you thought about taking Spanish in the summer or some kind of January Intercession term so that that is your only course, and the only thing you need to study and focus on?

I seem to have a knack for languages. 2 years each Spanish/French in Jr. High/High School (a horrible teacher the year after my Dad died resulted in Spanish grades of C and D). In 12th grade started Latin and was getting an A, but dropped it because I didn't need the credit and got a job. In community college I did 2 semesters of Spanish and did okay. Also did okay with signed English in College (my cousin is deaf). In the last 2 years I took intro to Hebrew, intro to Greek, and went to Guatemala for a Spanish immersion for 4 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means fluent in Spanish, but now I'm not afraid of speaking it, and I can get by in basic conversation. Like anything if you don't use it and practice you start to forget, but having learned a word or endings once, I find it easier to relearn it if I've forgotten, more like a reminder than learning something completely new.

You've been exposed to Spanish before, do you find it's easier to learn the things you've gone over in other classes?

Since I don't know where your difficulty is, I'm not sure what will help you. It sounds more like the mechanics of it than the speaking of it. I found that writing out different verb endings for the different tenses helped me to remember them (there's a kind of pattern to them). Also writing some flashcards for myself (the writing helps me remember). Also some Spanish workbooks. There are exercise drills. You can try to answer questions from memory and with help of your book, and then answers are in the back. Also, if you watch Spanish TV, turn on your closed captioning so you can see the words on the TV screen. They speak really fast and sometimes words run together. I like the news because usually based on footage I get an idea of what the announcer is talking about.

Hey, maybe you can get credit for going and doing an immersion somewhere this summer - that'd be cool, eh? Would your parents foot that bill? Maybe one or both could even go with you. I couldn't afford it, so I asked my grandparents for help. Didn't hurt that my grandma is technically my step-grandma and is hispanic, so she was on-board.

Buena suerte! Yo espero que este te ayudas.

Paz, ~~bythesea
Old 10-18-05, 01:27 AM
Contributor

bythesea has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakara
My husband said he knew he had the english down when he started dreaming in it!
Yeah, people say you're gaining in proficiency if you find yourself dreaming in it, can carry on a phone conversation (no visual cues to help), and can pick up/make jokes.
Old 10-18-05, 03:56 PM

Chronomancer is on a distinguished road
One idea that worked for me was to study latin at the same time.

ADD I find makes language harder than normal.
Old 10-19-05, 08:23 AM
Jr Member

bythesea has a great idea also. A lot of my students wait until the summer quarter and take the intensive Spanish (Usually it is 2 or 3 classes in one) and nothing else. Because it meets every day and it is the only class you have to focus on, it tends to help.
Another idea is a study abroad. It can be costly but if you have financial aid funding it can be applied. Also, a school may offer scholarships through their disability office for such an adventure!
Old 10-19-05, 04:21 PM
Jr Member

AaronADHD is on a distinguished road
The summer is a shortened semester, but I cant take a summer off for spanish. I also need to take other classes that I have planned for, and most importantly I am supposed to be getting into the University at the beginning of the summer. The language is an extrance requirement. I am getting my testing on monday so after I get the re****s I will have a pretty clear picture of whats going on in my brain.

Aaron
Old 10-24-05, 05:00 PM
Contributor

Mystic_Oracle will become famous soon enough
If you're having trouble with verb conjugations, get the book "501 Spanish Verbs" by Christopher Kendris, Ph.D. and Theodore Kendris, Ph.D. It's $14.95 at Barnes and Noble...or, see if your library has it. It has verbs fully conjugated in all the tenses in an easy to learn format, formation of present and past participles, principal parts of important Spanish verbs, and lots more. I am actually pretty good with languages, but sometimes the grammar rules can get tricky. Hang in there and good luck!
Old 01-12-06, 04:04 AM

krysta is on a distinguished road
Hello, fficeffice" />>>

I am both ADD and dyslexic, though my experience with foreign language exemptions is mostly for LDs. However, when looking for a new school my advice would be after you have been accepting go and talk to the disabilities services director and find out what accommodations you would qualify before committing to the school. This way, it will not effect your chance of acceptance and you will be able to make a more informed decision. It sounds like you know what school you want and its harder with some schools because of financial reasons, but not all colleges require a foreign language (though may depend upon your major, I am double majoring in environmental science and education). I would also ask about their tutorial services. My school offers students with disabilities, LD ect. extra tutoring up to 4x a week at no extra cost. I was exempt from foreign language when I was in high school and made sure I did not go to a college school were I had to take it (whether it was an exemption or the school did not require it).>>
Old 01-20-06, 08:00 PM

Aleksandra has disabled reputation
Try read fairy tales on Spanish or books for kids.
It helped me a lot with English.
And, try to communicate on Spanish - find people on the net, write letters, speak, speak, speak...

Learn as kids do.