ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-10-05, 11:14 PM
Jr Member

AaronADHD is on a distinguished road
Problems with foreign language

I have been taking a spanish class at my community college since august and have not been doing well in it at all. Anyone have any hints for someone with adhd. I need to pass the class and its subsequent second semester clas spanish 2 to get into the university after a long enough time at a community college. Does anyone else on here find it extremely difficult to learn foreign languages. I have a hard enough time with english. Does the americans with disabilities act cover anything about foreign languages? I know there is no way out of it and my teacher is of no help to me. Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Old 10-10-05, 11:35 PM
Jr Member

cakara is on a distinguished road
Maybe an answer....

Hi Aaron,

I am a College Academic Counslor for special needs students plus I have ADHD bigtime! I tried to take Farsi about 10 years ago and I had the same trouble! Are you able to substitute upper level cultural classes instead? I always suggest language substitutions for my ADD students who have trouble. Check with your schools disability office.

Does your school have spanish tapes? They have helped some of my students.

Also, a lot of schools now recognise American Sign Language as a foreign language. More visual!
Old 10-10-05, 11:48 PM
Jr Member

Ok ill check it out

I have no clue what my school has as far as a substitute for fireign language. Never was given to me as an option. Is this only available for students with disabilities? My teacher isnt very helpful. I have tried sign language to, it seems like I cant grasp more then the actual very basic steps of a language. I can remember basic spanish words and phrases along with sign language basics, once I get more advanced at all my grades go down. I failed sign language and failed outta high school spanish. Now im faced wit the scray thought of not getting outta community college for longer because of a spanish class. I will definately ask about the substitues for a foreign language. Thanks again and anymore info is also appreicated.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
Did you successfully pass highschool spanish 1-4?
Old 10-11-05, 12:13 AM
Jr Member

Nope

I barely got a C in spnaish one and ended up dropping my spanish 2 class for a science class I knew I could get a good grade in. I hardly had a grasp on that and then the school expected me to turn it around and do well in spanish 2. So now I am in a very compromising position, hopefully I will be able to substitute the class. Unfortunately I need to make sure the university I want to transfer into will accept a class substitution.

Aaron
Old 10-11-05, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
I did very poorly in high-school language classes. Failed Latin, then re-took and got a D (because I threatened to take the class again if he failed me ), French 1 year with a C, Spanish two years with Cs and maybe one B.

Then as an adult, I started making it work for me. I got this idea that I needed to learn from as many "angles" as possible. So I would transcribe my tapes, then try to "shadow" them (repeating after the tapes), read two or three textbooks at the same time, put Spanish soaps on in the background, etc.

Doing this type of studying, I suddenly got good at foreign languages. Maybe if you get creative about bombarding yourself, things will go better for you.
Old 10-11-05, 12:29 AM
Jr Member

Thanks for the suggestion

Thank you for the suggesting, I will take that into account and give it a try. I think what makes it more challenging is the fact thats not only do we need to understand how to speak it, we need to learn it like an english class and know the gramer and things of that nature. All the rules throw me off. I have been through many foreign languages and if I only had to work on that class I am sure I could pull together a devent grade, but as I am a college student whose parents are pushing me to at least get into the university that isnt the case. I also need to make up for all the bad grades I got, like I said this is my third year(5th semester) as a full time student at a community college.

Aaron
Old 10-11-05, 12:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
The reason I had asked was this: First year college foreign language is often a review of high school foreign language 1-4. I did wonderfully in french one and two in college. When I got to the third year, I was failing in spite of implementing numerous study techniques.

I ended up being referred by my professor for evaluation of a learning disability. Turns out, I'm dyscalculiac, and it was effecting the thought process that was used for learning foreign languages. I was told to take accelerated french 3 & 4. I thought they were crazy. Turns out, they were right...I learned it because it was taught phonetically, and the majority was oral instead of written. Perhaps the style in which it is being taught is not the best one for you? See if your college/university offers this type of alternative. Ask to sit in on one or two classes to see if you are more engaged during the class instruction. Good luck!
Old 10-11-05, 07:29 PM
Jr Member

Sounds reasonable

I actually am going to be tested for learning disabilities in 2 weeks, so after that i will have an exact grasp on what might be causing my problem. I am a little worried about finding out I have a actual LD, but if it helps me in the end its all worth it. The only worry I have is if I am diagnosed with a LD will that affect my chances of getting into vet school. This is the career path I have chosen for myself and would hate to see it become a dream all beacuse of a spanish class. My teacher got back to me about extra help, but all she could suggest was siting in the front row of class, otherwise she just gave me encouraging words about living with a disability. She said einstein had disabilities and look where it got him. I am also going to my Disability Resource Center to find out about course substitutions if that is what it comes down to. Again thanks for everything.

Aaron
Old 10-11-05, 10:23 PM
Jr Member

As soon as all of your testing is back, please contact the disabilities office. You can receive all sorts of help having ADHD. I will just about guarantee they have rules for substitution. State Universities especially.
If you are in community college right now and need this for an associate of art or science, check to see what their policy is. If you are planning to transfer, check with that university also. Go through their disabilities office. Since you live in Gainesville, I have an idea that you are thinking University of Florida. If so the phone number to the ADA Office is (352) 392-7056. (Hey Gator, Trust this Buckeye! LOL!)
All of your records are confidential and whatever help they give you. It does not show up on a transcript, diploma or follow you around after you leave. (A lot of my students worry about that.)

Last edited by cakara; 10-11-05 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: spelling errors (as always!)
Old 10-11-05, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
Cakara-

I took two spanish classes when I was in HS. One I barely passed with a D, the other I ended up with an E grade. Will that show up on my trasnscripts now?

I am also in yet another spanish class, my 4th one now, and still having lots of trouble. THe big thing is that spelling counts against me!!
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 10-11-05, 11:32 PM
Jr Member

The grades do but I have good news for you. Most employers do not ask to see a transcript. Also, unless you are going into something like Spanish translating, do not let it keep you up at night! As far as high school goes, most colleges stop asking for a high school transcript after you have a full years worth on transfer credit. (Which includes those miserable ACT or SAT scores!)

On your resume, when listing your college, list your major and your GPA in your major only. (If you even want to list your GPA at all.) If you are a graphic designer and you got a low grade in basket weaving, your future employer is not going to worry about that. He or she is interested in what you know about digital manipulation, new media, etc. You should see my general education courses! Yikes! And both of my parents were teachers! LOL!
Old 10-12-05, 12:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
I am not asking just for teh purpose of colleges and employment, but for scolarships as well. That is where my concern lies.

I hear u on gen eds, mine were terrible. Esspecailly math!!!
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 10-12-05, 12:49 AM
Jr Member

There are many scholarships that are given for specific reasons and need. Many times these scholarships are not combined with academics. (You will need at least a 2.0) The disability office at most universities also have scholarships. There also may be state government organizations that offer grants. Your disability office should be able to give you some information about that also.

Go outside your university too. There are free scholarship search engines on the internet such as fastweb. I would open a seperate email account on hotmail or yahoo because you will get spam with a lot of these services. Apply for them no matter how little the amount seems. It adds up. Check with your local liabrary also.

If you have been in school a while, your HS transcript should not come into play as much or at all.

I hope this helps. I know the financial end is quite a burden. Good Luck to you!
Old 10-12-05, 04:32 PM
Suspended Account

BlueRanger is on a distinguished road
I am Chinese

And I was in ESL level 1 for all my elementry year and then ever when I got to high school I didn't got out of it untill the goverment no longer support me to learn in ESL.

So yeah no **** , you get problem with language.