ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-26-05, 10:03 AM

absoluterose is on a distinguished road
Wink i'm the real me - i've been unshelled... :)

Just thought I'd give a little introduction to myself for you all. I'm 19, sophomore at KU, and I was diagnosed with ADHD less than a week ago. I have been toiling with the thought that I have ADHD for about 6-7 months --- about a month into my freshman year at KU, a month into the Pre-Med major, and a month into Chemistry 184. It was pure hell. No longer could I simply cram the information into my head for the test the following day. I couldn't study for more than 5 minutes at a time... My attention span was GONE. My psychology teacher mentioned ADD in Women and I started to think about it for about 4 months. I finally saved up enough courage to confront my mom that I might have the disorder... She is very out-of-tune to these type of things. I went through months of depression and she was the last person I could tell. So, after a couple hours of trying to explain the situation to her, she agreed to make me an appointment - still confused on why I thought I had a disorder. My regular doctor just didn't seem to understand my case at all. We made a psychiatrist appointment. I talked for about an hour of all of my symptons (distractability, impulsitivity...etc). She said I was the classic example of an intelligent women with ADHD, and I am lucky I caught it so early in my life... I sure wish I considered this early... better late than never I guess. So, I am on my third day of Adderall and my mind is CLEAR! Before I used to talk to myself constantly in my head - I literally interrupted MYSELF from thinking. The voice is gone... the cause for so much of that constant daydreaming. I've started and finished more tasks in the last couple days than I did in the past year. It's an incredible feeling... Instead of procrastinating I am actualling doing! Woot-woot! I don't feel lazy, depressed, or worthless anymore. I actually remember things my mom tells me to do... I normally forget in a matter of minutes. I renamed this summer the "summer of me..." and this is certainly a good start. My goal is to find out who I am behind the disorder of ADHD... anyone else with me?

Does anyone else feel like, in a conversation with a friend, that you are the sidenote... I feel I never am in the center of attention in talking... because my thoughts used to be so short, random and I just didn't say anything. I've alway had to use that stupid voice in my head... practice saying it my head a few times... then talk. So, I usually am the "coaxer" of the conversation. "What happened," "why," "oh my gosh - that's horrible," etc. Does anyone understand this? I am going to work on that this summer. A very, very hot guy from my highschool called me last night and I talked to him for ten minutes. I was impressed with myself for talking to someone that used to intimidate me so much. We had Calculus together our senior year and went to different colleges... anyhoot.

Every day I wake up and I pray the day will feel better than the last...
Old 05-26-05, 10:22 AM

Tangerine is on a distinguished road
Wow. Your words sound like you pulled them right out of my head. Except for the college bit which I could never stick with.

It's an amazing feeling isnt it? To be able to think clearly. People who are aware of my ADD ask me, "Well, what's it like?" I tell them it's like someone took a broom and swept all the cobwebs out of my head; all that remains is clear thinking.

I can relate to the thing with your mom. All my life, she's been on me to do things and tells me over and over. Being diagnosed with ADD helped me realize why I did all of the strange things in my life that had become just normal. For someone to ask you for something and immediately forget their request. Or meet someone new and just "know" you'll forget their name, becuase you always do. I've always been envious of those people who can remember *everyone's* name. How do they do that?!

I can also relate to being a "coaxer". That's me all the way. Someone tells me a store and all I can say is, "really?" "wow" "that's crazy" or "well, good to hear you're doing better" "glad you're ok" "then what happened".

I was taking Adderall for about three weeks. The first few days were amazing and I felt just as you describe. Then I started experiencing strange side effects, speech problems and throat cramping. Which was a shame because I did feel that my concentration and focus had improved immensely.

Now I take Ritalin and it's not the same, but I don't experience those side effects either. It's a toss up. Focus and concentration improvements are minimal, but I am just starting this med and am on a low dose.

Anyway, glad to hear that someone out there is having success with their medication. Sometimes it takes a long time to find the right combination of drugs that give you more for less. More concentration/focus, less side effects. Looks like you hit the nail right on the head. I wish you continued succes with your medication and treatment of your ADD.

It's nice a nice feeling, being unshelled
Old 05-26-05, 03:48 PM

doug_funny is on a distinguished road
I'm 19 and I go to Univ. of central florida. I just started taking Adderall XR (40mg a day) a little over 2 weeks ago. For the first few days, I thought that the feeling was too good to be true. The clarity in my mind was the greatest benefit. Unfortunately, after a few days the effects wore off significantly and I've never gotten the same effect since. Especially the concentration level I had during those first few days...I felt like I could conquer the world with my new mental capacities at first...but it all changed.

It still helps a lot with school though. Before adderall I usually skipped atleast 75% of my classes...and if I bought the book for the class it never got opened. All that has changed now though...but I still have trouble concentrating often and the meds only last about 7 hours isntead of 12.

I hope you can maintain the level of confidence and focus that you have in the first few days...I couldn't.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
I am adhd and I have been taking Adderall since March 18 (a little over 2 months) and wish I would have checked into it years ago.

You have to give the medication, the dosage amount and the dosage time a tweak or two in order to get it just right.

When I first went to the doctor, she told me to experiment to see what the right dosage was for me and to come back in 15 days and she would write me a presciption for a month supply. She said to try one Adderall 10 mg xr in the morning and see how I felt. Then try 2 10 mgs xr in the morning. Then 3. Up to 4 if needed.

On the first three days, I took one 10 mg XR at 7am. My days were great and very productive but I felt tired and a little crabby about 4pm. (My work day goes until 530pm and then family time until 10pm so being tired and crabby at 4pm won't cut it.)

On day 4 through day 15, I took two 10 mg xr at 7am. My days were even better and extremely productive but I still felt tired and a little crabby about 4pm a few days (not all days, but a few.)

Rather than taking 3 10 mg xrs in the morning, I instead took a vivarin (200 mg caffeine) about 330pm and this took me through the rest of the night. I've taken vivarin for many years. I always took 1 in the morning and one in the afternoon. I havent had to take my morning vivarin since beginning Adderall.

When I went for my 15 day followup, I mentioned that taking 2 10 mg xr in the morning was a good dose for me. I didnt think I needed 3 10 mg.

I also mentioned taking the vivarin on a few days due to fatigue and crabiness.

What she did was she wrote me a prescription for 30 days of 20 mg xr, in addition to 30 days of 10 mg instant release Adderall to be taken at 3pm.

This combination is working for me and again, I wish I would have checked into it 20 years ago. (I'm 43 now.)

Good luck.

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein
Old 05-27-05, 12:08 AM

absoluterose is on a distinguished road
How does the psychiatrist determine the dossage? I think I might need a bit more than 20mg, but I don't know how to ask for more... because I'm not an expert. Any tips?

Every day I wake up and I pray the day will feel better than the last...
Old 05-27-05, 12:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I have been very surprised to find myself much more like I dreamt I was capable of being. My kids see it. My brother sees it and I feel it. I can't help but wonder what life as a teen would have been like if I'd been treated with meds when I was young.

I use Dexedrine.

It helps me blend into a group so much easier. It helps me remain calm in one on one situations that might be awkward.

I am haunted by years of substance abuse that very likely could have been avoided had I had some means of calming my fears as I do when I have dex in my system. I can feel better about how I'm working and why. It's just been the best thing for me.

I'm not sorry I have done a lot of other work to help take advantage of what the calm provides for me but the dex is a welcome partner. I'm not the slightest bit ashamed now to say so either. In the beginning I saw taking meds as a sign of weakness in me. Now I see it as a sign of strength.

We'll begin trials this summer with our youngest and hope she responds well to one of the stimulants too.
It's great to hear some optimism.
Cheers! and welcome to the forums.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 05-27-05, 01:46 AM

ProcrastN8R is on a distinguished road
I wish I had known about ADD/ADHD when I was 19 and 20. I was in college, couldn't go to class, couldn't study, VERY depressed. I went to the school counselor who told me I needed to set up a weekly calendar with time allotted for study and classes. Because I can be very OCD as well as ADHD, I made a schedule for time in 15 minute intervals, including meal times, time for the morning shower, everything. Anyway, I never stuck to the schedule and dropped out of college a few months later.

20 years later, I look back on myself and I am amazed I made it this far. I am newly diagnosed also, and in a drug trial for Ritalin. I have good improvements, but not enough. My doctor is very insistent that I not make any changes in my dosage or schedule until he sees me again - not until next week. AARGH!

But yes, it is amazing the difference in how I feel taking Ritalin, and I don't even think it is as good at it might be if I had a higher dosage. I had no idea what to expect. I am astonished at how EASY everything seems. The difference between mountains and molehills.

As far as not being the center of attention in a conversation, I just take over a conversation. I don't think I talk non-stop, because I do at least try to ask the other party a question to give them a chance to take the floor, but I am definately in charge of conversations. If I am not, I lose interest immediately. I am an interrupter, I finish others' sentences, I ask questions rapid fire, I change the subject suddenly. I also tend to repeat phrases or sentences. I repeat thoughts in my head too, very annoying. But, like I said, I know I do those things even if I can't control them, so I will say "Oh, I'm sorry, go ahead" to someone I just interrupted. When I start to ramble, I will say "Oh, I'm just thinking out loud now." That last has become my personal tag line, I say it so often.

I guess that's the H part of the ADHD.