ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

View Poll Results: Should Abi quit grad school?
Yes quit 1 3.85%
No dont quit 25 96.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-12, 04:23 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should Abi quit Grad School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angora View Post
Do you mean quit forever - or a temporary quit cause you just can't do it right now?

It took me tens years to get my undergrad degree.
Forever

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 01-20-12, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

You just started?
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Old 01-20-12, 06:14 PM

Thanked 11,488 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Sarek is right dont quit you'll regret it later down the road,Maybe rehab is for quitters but not grad school we are now talking bout.LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 06:45 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

Why would a highly intelligent person who has so much to offer want to quit and do nothing,
You have a fantastic mind ,use it or one day you will regret it, dont forget you have a date with me in 2013 at Birmingham England,the world is your oyster Luv JULES.
BR549 (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 06:56 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

jules, abi is too young for you hehe
Old 01-20-12, 07:01 PM

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I do think that you will regret it one day. Jules is right, too. You ARE highly intelligent and have so much to offer.

Think long-term. You know yourself better than anyone. Do you really want to go to grad school? Are you going to school because you think you should or because you want to? Will you regret it if you quit? Will you always kick yourself because you didn't finish?

Personally, I think you should stick with it. You've got to do what's best for you, though.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-21-12)
Old 01-20-12, 07:06 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

Saboit,
this is a time and date and support does not matter how old i am,i could be 20 i could be 50 but when it comes to helping a person,do you ask there age
namazu (01-21-12), Saboit (01-21-12)
Old 01-20-12, 11:01 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

not yet. i konw things can seem overwhelming...but i think you'll break through and get your head above water if you stick with it. that, and i think you'll internalize it in harmful ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-21-12)
Old 01-20-12, 11:05 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

If abi quits he gets a plastic shovel to the head
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
julesjampot (01-21-12), sarek (01-21-12)
Old 01-21-12, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

I would vote but I'm almost in the same position. I want to remove myself from this hell hole....

but's it's not entirely my decision...unless I flunk out....

But yeah, i would say stick with but I'm not in a position to talk in case I drop and I don't want to sound like a hypocrite.

I don't know, I just work here.
Old 01-21-12, 01:10 AM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on why you're doing it... what you want to get out of it. I admire the hell out of someone who can quit something when it's the best option versus hanging in there indefinitely because they're concerned about some amorphous regret.
Luvmybully (01-21-12), namazu (01-21-12), peripatetic (01-21-12)
Old 01-21-12, 01:23 AM

I did that w my automotive career every one was telling me to get out and I didnt wanna quit finally after 8 years my career was like a bad marriage and baad nightmare I couldnt get away from and was going nowheres.I finally had to throw in the towel after my mom died,it was kind of thrown in for me.I got really really sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (01-21-12)
Old 01-21-12, 12:47 PM

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboit View Post
why would he regret if he finished?
It is a personal question that no one can answer for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
I guess it depends on why you're doing it... what you want to get out of it. I admire the hell out of someone who can quit something when it's the best option versus hanging in there indefinitely because they're concerned about some amorphous regret.
Yes, this is EXACTLY why I said he needs to ask himself. There is no one path for all, for some continuing education is not the path that will lead them to the most fulfilling life.

The regret works both ways, you have to really examine yourself and your life and your goals when you make a decision. Which do you think you'll regret the most? Be the most satisfied with?

The answer needs to be based on how the individual feels, and not what someone else would regret/be satisfied with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-21-12), Saboit (01-21-12)
Old 01-21-12, 01:17 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

You're a good writer.

Rare that I read even a grad-level paper that is legible and makes sense, is well-organized and comprehensible, even when I know nothing about the subject.

It would be a shame for you to quit when you're better than most.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-21-12), namazu (01-21-12)
Old 01-21-12, 01:24 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

What paper are you talking about pechepech