ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

View Poll Results: Should Abi quit grad school?
Yes quit 1 3.85%
No dont quit 25 96.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-12, 01:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Should Abi quit Grad School?

I have my first deliverable due and I already don't want to do it.

The truth is, I don't want to do anything except chill.

Aren't I bluffing myself about wanting to extend my education, let alone going to WORK again after (I hate work and it makes me physiclly sick, I have vowed in the past NEVER to work again.)

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 01-20-12, 01:26 PM
Registered

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should Abi quit Grad School?

Poll closes in 48 hours. I will go by majority vote.

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Old 01-20-12, 01:28 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

You know my answer Abi. You will be eternally sorry if you quit.
APSJ (01-21-12), BR549 (01-20-12), Impetus (01-20-12), namazu (01-21-12), peripatetic (01-20-12), Rebelyell (01-20-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 01:34 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Don't quit Abi. It takes momentum to get through school. The hardest part is getting started.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
BR549 (01-20-12), Impetus (01-20-12), namazu (01-21-12), Turbochica (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

Abi I am torn between picking yes and no

I did say no don't quit but then if your heart is not in it how can you go on?

I think you need to find a way to light the fire in your soul and heart to be passionate about it and then continue or find something else that will do that for you.

I know when I was finishing my degree my motivation to continue was 1. picturing my sister hanging me in a tree and whipping my butt if I didnt and wanting to be able to say to my children - didn't have any at them time, it's tough I know but stick with it and complete it you will be so glad you did and the timing may never happen again so that you can.

Later onI went 3/4 of the way through nursing school and never have had the chance to prove those blankety blank instructors that yes I can do this. but years later I realize nursing is not my passion, creativity and inspiring others to be creative - like the boys I work with is. ''so find your passion abi and go for it. if finishing grad school will lead you to that finish it

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
BR549 (01-20-12), Impetus (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 01:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say hang in there too. I had endless difficulties when I was in grad school causing me to drop out of the field I was truly interested in. I hated doing all the math my degree required and I used that as an excuse to give up. Ultimately, I got a grad degree in another field, but I have always wished that I'd stuck it out the first time around.

Think of it this way. You can quit any day you want to, but starting all over with something new is going to take a lot of time and effort. Just keep going one day at a time and give it a chance for your situation to improve.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
BR549 (01-20-12), Impetus (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 01:56 PM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

hang in ther Abi for me, I think I never regret hanging in there but I will always regret prematurely giving up

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
Impetus (01-20-12), Luvmybully (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 02:25 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even have a bachelors, so who am I to really talk.... but you didn't BLOCK me from voting, so I voted.

This maybe my problem alone, but it's really showing itself lately, so I'm just throwing it out there..... could this be anxiety? I've dropped out of the same english class 2 or 3 times over the past 15 years b/c of my stoopid anxiety! I twist myself up into so many knots I can't write the dumb papers, cause they aren't "good enough."

My mother has bi polar comorbid to a myriad of other stuff.... and her anxiety is just plain scary for everyone around her! not sure why I think it might fit for you too, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 01-20-12, 03:05 PM

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

I answered no you should not quit, but do ask yourself which is more likely to cause you regret later in your life?

Will you be more likely to say you regret you DID finish or that you regret you didn't?
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 03:29 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

why would he regret if he finished?
I didn't even graduate from high school...

Last edited by Saboit; 01-20-12 at 03:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Saboit For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 03:43 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I think she meant would Abi regret it if he quit? Or does Abi think he might regret it if he doesn't finish?

and why would someone have regret about either? that's a hard question to ponder. My bff's hubby just finished his doctorate in June, he still has a lousy job that pays less than mine (only HS degree), and he has student loans.... at the moment, he's regretting that he bothered with it.

my hubby regrets not finishing HS. I regret not finishing college. I have a coworker that sits next to me, she regrets her bachelors b/c it isn't helping her right now....

College degrees don't have a super immediate gratification, and sometimes they just turn out to be part of a "life well lived."

so I can see the conundrum. but I err on the side of doing what you can today, it could be illegal tomorrow!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
Saboit (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Do you mean quit forever - or a temporary quit cause you just can't do it right now?

It took me tens years to get my undergrad degree.
Old 01-20-12, 04:01 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

by the look if it, forever

thanks impetus!
Old 01-20-12, 04:02 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,424 Times in 5,438 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

What field are you in, and what degree are you going for?

In my not so humble opinion, do it if the majority of what you're learning interests you, not because you need a job afterwards.

As someone who has walked the walk: There will be times you won't give a cr*p about what you're doing, and you'll think WTF am I doing? I don't know anyone in my PhD program who *didn't* have a period of time like that.

Be prepared: You *need* some form of support and sanity check in order to get through.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-21-12)
Old 01-20-12, 04:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
What field are you in, and what degree are you going for?

In my not so humble opinion, do it if the majority of what you're learning interests you, not because you need a job afterwards.

As someone who has walked the walk: There will be times you won't give a cr*p about what you're doing, and you'll think WTF am I doing? I don't know anyone in my PhD program who *didn't* have a period of time like that.

Be prepared: You *need* some form of support and sanity check in order to get through.
Computers/IT

MSc Comp Sci