ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 08-24-04, 08:05 PM
Jr Member

Add1234 is on a distinguished road
How many of you with ADHD still have trouble studying?

I am 22 years old, diagnosed with ADD roughly a year and a half ago. I've been on Adderall XR for sometime now. I honestly feel that it helps but not tremendously like some people say.

This entire summer I had the chance to study and take my A+ computer hardware/operating system certification.

I studied off and on for the first portion which was the hardware portion. I am already proficient with hardware such as fixing, building and troubleshooting hardware so the exam was sorta easy to me.

Now I have to study hard for this operating system portion and for some unknown reason I've now rescheduled the exam date twice. I was supposed to take it this week Thursday but now reschedule it for two months down the road.

I know that this will help me by elevating my career. Even though I KNOW that this will help me tremendously. Tremendously meaning that it will open up doors of oppurtunity such as jobs that require A+ certification.

I also purchased another book which will help aid in the Microsoft MCDST certification but I haven't even bothered reading it yet.

I KNOW I should read this, I KNOW it will benefit me greatly but I decide to watch tv, go online, read msg boards, etc. I never can just sit there and read a book, even on Adderall, and just soak up everything that I read.

Any advice?
Old 08-25-04, 01:47 PM
Jr Member

Connie is on a distinguished road
I'm in my senior year of Forensic Biology. Even though I am on Adderall XR, I'm not able to sit and read a book and soak it up either. This may sound crazy but it works for me - I make study sheets, highlights if you will. I don't use full sentences, just a few words to get me to think and relate it back and then I keep the sheets with me while I'm driving, eating, working, etc. I look over the hints and while I'm doing other things I go over the steps I need to do to "prepare" something or the details that I know related to that note I made. For me, I have a lot of retention of detail, it's just getting me to pull it out by using tricks to force my brain to "study" while it's occupied with something else. I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone but I seem to learn and retain info better if I'm "on the fly".
Old 08-25-04, 06:44 PM

ADD_Ed is on a distinguished road
The challenge is always there.......

The difficulty studying has never gone away for me....if anything it has gotten worse in that the workarounds and coping strategies that worked at one time on college-level material don't seem to work so well now that I have aged and the material is different (work-related).

A constant challenge to focus and not procrastinate or get distracted. I can really empathize with the unopened book syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-04, 12:07 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Aha!

I'm quite familiar with what you're describing, ADD1234. There's actually a name for it: "Paralysis of the Will." There are several threads that mention it, but the actual origin of the phrase comes from the book, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid?. This link will take you to one thread (of several) here on the Forums that addresses this: http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ight=paralysis

I'm in an MS in Psych program with an online university...and man, oh, man, have I had a heckuva time tyring to adjust from the ease of everything undergrad and before! Grad school is a whole new set of rules...but I digress....

I have learned a couple of tricks regarding my paralysis episodes. (1) Enlist the nagging (via phone or in person) of an understanding friend, with or w/o ADHD, who can keep you motivated and/or accountable for making even a little bit of progress with your studying.

(2) A digital timer has become my best friend. When I'm REALLY unmotivated, I set it for something as short as 5-7 minutes, and when it goes off, the idea is for me to reward myself with a little break--also a timed event. Then it's back to work for another timed study session.

One of the benefits of using a timer (for me anyway) includes not being distracted by watching the clock to see how long I've been studying...instead, I know I have X amount of minutes to "suffer" (LOL!). Another bonus is that, since simply (HA!) taking that first step to start reading, writing, researching, studying, or whatever is SUCH a doozie, a lot of times I find that within the first 5 minutes of making myself get started, my motivation materializes and I can keep after it longer than the 5-7 minutes--although I do make myself set the timer again, although longer, like for 20-30 mins....

Different strategies work for different people. You might consider doing a google search for "study strategies ADHD" or something like that.

Hope this gives you some ideas about how to deal with your specific situation. Please know, though, that you are not alone!!

smooch
Old 08-27-04, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Connie your idea was great as well as smooch's. I was going to add to Connie's and suggest an outline. I have to do that for my psychology class. But it has been so long since I have been in school that I can't remember how to do one and had to go look on line.

Besides doing an outline of each chapter in my general psychology course is a requirement that is to be turned in prior to each exam for each chapter that the exam covers. And I find that when I right things down I remmember them better. It is kinda like driving, if someone else drives I can't remember how we got there, but if I drive, I can remember!

Good luck in school
Old 08-29-04, 04:16 PM

mistaben is on a distinguished road
I do still my suggestion...

Hey you mentioned you were on adderall right? well:

talk to your psychiatrist and have her up the dosage (use the non XR if you have too) then take your normal, and when it is time to study take an x-amount more. I am fine in social situations off of 5mg, but I just cant study unless i get 10.

Check who your manufacturer is. I dont know about XR version but - for generic non-XR manufacturers DONT get (BARR), get (ABRIKA). Well, for studying at least.

Now, I KNOW, they are "SUPPOSE" to be exactly the same. Why then do they effect me and other ADHD friends in hugely apparent and different manners? As a student of O-chem I am willing to bet one manufacturer is using both optical isomers of the amphetamine molecule and the other isn't. It would still suffice for all of the FDA controls, but one would be cheaper to manufacture.... you do the math.

another, got a cable line or dsl? download edonkey file sharer. Download everything you can find on: brian tracy and time management. anthony robbins is good too. They can help you setup your motivation in the right areas.

Well, all the above is what works for me at least. Good luck.
Old 09-01-04, 06:03 PM

axelism is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaben
Hey you mentioned you were on adderall right? well:

talk to your psychiatrist and have her up the dosage (use the non XR if you have too) then take your normal, and when it is time to study take an x-amount more. I am fine in social situations off of 5mg, but I just cant study unless i get 10.

Check who your manufacturer is. I dont know about XR version but - for generic non-XR manufacturers DONT get (BARR), get (ABRIKA). Well, for studying at least.

Now, I KNOW, they are "SUPPOSE" to be exactly the same. Why then do they effect me and other ADHD friends in hugely apparent and different manners? As a student of O-chem I am willing to bet one manufacturer is using both optical isomers of the amphetamine molecule and the other isn't. It would still suffice for all of the FDA controls, but one would be cheaper to manufacture.... you do the math.

another, got a cable line or dsl? download edonkey file sharer. Download everything you can find on: brian tracy and time management. anthony robbins is good too. They can help you setup your motivation in the right areas.

Well, all the above is what works for me at least. Good luck.
Can you go into specifics on the differences/experiences you've had with the non XR generic abrika and Barr? I've been on Barr for about a month and basically have been getting a foggy kind of feeling, I just found out where I can get the Abrika version and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Take it easy!
Old 09-10-04, 11:03 PM

This is just my honest opinion (and opinion of my pre-med girlfriend... hmm... a pre-med who could use a study aid you do the math...).

I believe, Barr and abrika use different ratio of left and right hand isomers of the amphetamine molecule. Specifically one uses a 50/50 and the other skips one and uses all of the exact same molecule. In BOTH cases this would pass FDA medical standards for drugs, but the company that has to make only one drug has less of an operating cost. Which one specifically uses a mix I haven't looked into yet, but I have a feeling it is BARR that uses a mix. And abrika uses only one isomer not both.

I believe this after having been on BARR for a month, then ABRIKA, then back to BARR this month. Also having done some very quick (as in i can not give you the journal article source to quote this from kind of quik) research, I believe that one isomer alone will only stimulate about 70% of the possible nerve fibers, and the other isomer is suppose to be arround 90% possible. The way you make it 100% is combine the two.

However, I dont KNOW which one is a combination and which one is a mix of the two. I do know that BARR gets me loaded like I was taking valium, when I switch to abrika I feel as though I am not getting as strong as a dose for the first two weeks then I feel more focused after 2 weeks. I think BARR uses only one isomer and therefor it feels like twice as much amphetamine, the other uses two different ones and feels like half as much as the other. After two weeks when I become a little more sensitive again (well, I seem to become adapted a little bit to the dosage) ABRIKA works better for me.

Well, thats my logic on it all. Take it as you will.

I will try to look for some research if you want me too. but I am rather busy studying my self.... I am a double major in Bioengineering and Biology with a minor in mathmatics..... again you do the math.
Old 09-10-04, 11:53 PM

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/21303s1lbl.pdf

here is a link that is just general info on the (d as i recall is the first letter in a german word for right, and L stands for left handed) d / l isomers of amphetamine aspartate (one part in four of the amphetamine salt combo found in ADDERALL), basically says that a 3:1 ratio of d:l is what is used in adderall, and the d isomer is the stronger molecule, also says more or less: its great, it works, dont abuse it, give for adhd.
Old 09-11-04, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
I just read a great suggestion that someone in the TS section posted on studying and reading. She said if things get overwhelmed while reading or trying to learn a particular area, to get a black piece of white paper and cover up the section of the book that you are not needing at that time. It will help you focus on the part that you are trying to learn. I thought it was a great idea and I am going to try it myself.
Old 09-13-04, 03:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
I know exactly how you feel. I have always been a bad studier, but I became infinitely worse when I got to college where the courses were much more challenging. I've been really struggling over the past year and this summer nearly failed a mandatory class for my degree. I seriously just about went nuts with frustration and misery at my "just can't seem to do it"ness.

Luckily I'm down to my last semester and my classes seem pretty manageable...but I have my first two tests this week and am dreading studying for them. I've tried all of the suggestions here except for the medication one since I'm undiagnosed and unmedicated...and none of them are very dependable for me. I'm just plugging along and trying to do the some reading ahead of time so that I don't have to deal with much hard-core studying the night before.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Old 09-14-04, 11:01 PM

Eve is on a distinguished road
I am also a 22 year old with ADD and I know exactly how you feel. College is hard and it is hard to stay focused. I'm taking 4 classes and I can't seem to balance them properly. I feel really overwhelmed. Grrr...

I take Ritalin though. Sometimes I can study but most of the time it is a difficult task. Maybe it is because we know that we have to do it.

Lately I have been using a planner to help me organize my tasks so I get them done on time. I start with the one that should be done first. Good luck, I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.