ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 11-02-10, 12:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

hxt1138 is on a distinguished road
Re: A thread for help with high-school & college Math, Computer Sciences & Physics

kakr try to see if they have some type of tutoring/lab. In the school i took all my core classes they had a walk-in tutoring style room they called it a lab. It was actually what got me through because i wouldn't be able to sit and listen in class. Now in my new school they don't really have this and this is why I'm back to struggling. If they do have it then use it extensively, live in there lol but eventually you will understand everything maybe better than others.
The Following User Says Thank You to hxt1138 For This Useful Post:
kakr (11-02-10)
Old 11-02-10, 08:21 PM
Jr Member

kakr is on a distinguished road
Re: A thread for help with high-school & college Math, Computer Sciences & Physics

Hey hxt1138 - yeah I spend some time there. Here's a funny for ya - I'm a math tutor for the lower level maths. There is irony to that. Under normal circumstances I actually enjoy math. This semester has been horrible. I took way too many credits over the summer. I left my house everyday at 6am and wouldn't get home til 8pm. I had to rely on my ex to make sure things were going ok for the kids back home (1 hour away). I had two weeks between summer and fall semesters. I'm so bummed cuz I thought I was starting to snap out of it (horrible test anxiety, then not grasping some math concepts because of horrible test scores). We had a test on logs, limits, etc - easy stuff and I got the test today and froze up again. I will be lucky if I got a B on the test andi shoulda gotten an A. I'm so depressed by the way my brain falls apart for such easy stuff. I just feel at a loss. I feel like I'm my own worst enemy. I should be getting an A and I will be lucky if I get a C in it (to move on to next math). Not sure what to do....ugh!
Old 11-04-10, 02:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Brainteaser: Without DOING ANY RESEARCH, estimate the number of piano tuners in New York city, to the nearest power of 10 (ie. 10, 100, 1000) etc.

Explain your thought processes.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 08:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

I've had that type of anxiety its horrendous. Have you tried anything to calm you down before an exam? also some people me included will experience less anxiety the more you know the material so you're gonna have to do as many problems from those math books as you need to take it in. I did this in calc and it helped me tremendously, although I didn't catch the concept at first little by little with the book and a solutions manual (pdfs found online) i would teach myself, Then repeat the problems without the solutions to try to apply concepts with what I had worked on. If you feel you start to memorize the problems try getting problems from another book, you'll find many online. It might take a lot of time but its what got me through with A's and B's. If you stay stock on one concept no matter what then get help and don't waste your time.

For anxiety before exams i find coffee is paradoxical because you might need to take it to wake up but it will seriously stress you and increase your inability to deal with the stress. SOme of my worse anxiety has been taking coffee before an exam to "think clear" and then blanking out completely even when i knew the material. I'm sure you can find other ideas to deal with that if you search it online.
Old 11-16-10, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Brainteaser: Without DOING ANY RESEARCH, estimate the number of piano tuners in New York city, to the nearest power of 10 (ie. 10, 100, 1000) etc.

Explain your thought processes.

Any hints? i'll take a wild guess if there are 10 million people in NYC and lets say ouf of those 10 million 1 out of every 5000 is a tuner then we have 2,000 tuners. All assumptions.