ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-20-09, 05:28 PM

01GT281 is on a distinguished road
How did medication change your mood and grades? (just got diagnosed)

Finally got officially diagnosed yesterday as ADD-inattentive. I'm 24yrs old a senior chemistry/biochemistry pre-medicine major (male). What I'm wondering is how much did your motivation, irritation, and GRADES improve once you started medication and what medication you started on FIRST.

So far, I've already tried strattera and wellbutrin xl with a pdoc who had no idea what he was doing or dealing with. The therapist that did the testing strongly suggested putting me on a stimulant type drug. I'm kind of anxious to know if this will start a new chapter in my school life and help me finish my degree as I have a HUGE problem staying focused in class and taking notes. Instead I'm constantly daydreaming and wandering throughout my mind. My appointment is one week from today.
Old 03-21-09, 02:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Re: How did medication change your mood and grades? (just got diagnosed)

I am on Stratterra and still day dream . I also am Epileptic. I know the straterra helps me but not on focusing.

Have you done any reading on the medications?

I am sorry I cant tell you much, since I am not on a stimulant. keep me informed.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 03-23-09, 06:02 PM

01GT281 is on a distinguished road

I had a previous pdoc who had just plainly said I had ADHD and tried me on Wellbutrin 150mg and 300mg and Strattera 40mg both with absolutely nothing happening to me. Actually I broke out in a rash from Strattera (yay!). He refused to use a stimulant on me and so I fired him.

I go this Friday to ask about medication with someone who can actually write prescriptions and wants to help me.

I have had a lot of irritability, anxiety that I believe is associated with constantly feeling the need to do something without having the energy or motivation to actually do that "something". This, on top of the constant day dreaming in school was really bugging me to the point where I finally asked to be tested to be sure. I get decent grades (B's - C's) but have always felt like I could do SO much better. I guess I will get to see here pretty soon.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

lostsoul has a spectacular aura aboutlostsoul has a spectacular aura about

went from C and Ds to A+
Old 03-25-09, 12:33 AM

peebee is on a distinguished road

Had a huge effect on me too, although I switched to an easier major when I started taking meds... but I had a 2.6gpa and now it's 3.8 with all my interim marks this semester > 80.

My motivation didn't change, it just became easier to keep focus... sometimes i'll focus on something unrelated to studying for a few hours without even realizing it. I can also pay attention in class for longer
Old 03-25-09, 02:59 PM

OCDgirl is on a distinguished road

I was recently diagnosed also with ADD. I've been diagnosed with OCD for years. I started back in college (I'm 28) a couple of semesters ago, and I freaked out because it was like my brain forgot how to read and understand things. I really strugged my first semester. When I went to my psych doctor about my OCD, I mentioned I was struggling in school...long story short, she diagnosed with me ADD as well and started me on Vyvanse.

Before the Vyvanse, I was making C's and B's on tests. Since I've been on meds, I haven't made less than a 90% on any test that I have taken. I can read a chapter (slowly!!) and really feel like I am absorbing all the information. I can get the big picture now, where before I couldn't. It's a lot easier for me to connect the dots between point A and point B. I couldn't be happier.

The nice thing for me at least, is that since I'm able to really read slowly and comprehend what I'm reading, I don't really have to ever "study" for tests anymore. Once you know the material, once you understand it...what is there to study for?

If I weren't for being diagnosed properly and getting on some good meds, I can't say that I would have stayed in college. It was too stressful and frustrating before. I'm so thankful my doctor saw the light.
Old 04-04-09, 01:15 AM
Jr Member

patio87 is on a distinguished road

I was just diagnosed with ADD a couple weeks ago. I was prescribed 54mg concerta. It has completely changed my life. One night for a math test I studied for 5 hours, got up the next day at 12:00, and studied for another 3 hours straight. This would have NEVER happened in high school, or even a month ago. I also feel the urge to do the work, but that might just because I enjoy learning.