ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-02-05, 07:17 PM
Jr Member

ADD79 is on a distinguished road
Can this happen?

I have been out of college for several years. I went straight from High School into college, and then graduated and joined the working force. Well, now I would like to go back and get my masters degree. The only thing standing in my way...the dreaded GRE! Well, is it possible, since I have ADD that since I have been out of school for a while, that my brain has forgotten the tricks that it knew to get past these dreaded exams? Because I've been studying for this damn test for an eternity now, and nothing will stick! I tried taking a practice exam last night and basically failed the entire section where you have to read a few paragraphs, then answer questions based on the paragraphs and the author's intent. I just couldn't hang onto the things I was reading let alone, do it within a time limited test! Can your brain get out of practice so to say?
Thanks! I'm kinda stressed out about this because I have to pass this test to continue my schooling, and I have to continue my schooling to get a better paying job so I can support myself and my husband (he is on disability).
Old 05-02-05, 09:16 PM

laraR has disabled reputation
Well, your problem is not just one sphere of life. Like many of us you too face multi spherical problems.

What I would say is try getting a tutor or going to a university and work with them on it.

It's not about tricks in your brain, It maybe tat you are not too motivated to do the paper because ur too anxious or too tensed about life. So try lightning up a little and maybe postponing the paper for a much later date keeping it as ur decision and feeling happy about it.
In the end I would say ur just stressed out and try working only when you're at ur best hour on the paper.
Old 05-02-05, 10:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Outsider is on a distinguished road
I was lucky enough to not have the write the GRE for the program I'm in. Could you take a course designed to help prepare people for the test? I have a friend who took a prep class for the MCATS and I think it really helped her. My advise is to practice as much as you can. Good luck with it!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 02:14 AM

Appu is on a distinguished road
Hi ADD

You brain has not lost its ability, its just practice that you need. I gave the GRE and got good grades on the reading comprehension section too. It was the hardest part, but you just have to train yourself and keep practising. There was this software called Higher Score on the GRE by Kaplan, that was useful to me. I also practised using some other free software that I found on the net. I will get the names for you in a day or two. I used this technique where I read the essay very fast once to get a general idea, then looked at the question and looked for the answers, rather than straight away attacking the questions or spending too much time reading the essay. Maybe that will help you too.

Don't lose hope. I got some horrible scores to begin with but evetually improved it to get into the top 10 percentile!

Good luck and I'll get back to you in a day or two with the names. If not you can remind me by mailing heuristix at gmail.