ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-22-12, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough
Success! (well, sort of..)

Ok, I know this board is for "higher education," but I'm about to write about something high school related just because there isn't a lot going on on the teenage board, but whatever.

During the past couple of weeks, it feels like I've been doing something similar to trying to knock through a pile of cardboard boxes, only to actually find that the boxes were full of bricks. What I mean by this is that I've been working on what seems like a really easy thing to do (at least for me,) which is memorizing a five page speech for my Forensics class. However, for the first couple of weeks, I absolutely had NO desire to even try to do this speech.

This brought on an onslaught of "woe is me," and "I can't do it," feelings. I honestly didn't even want to think or talk about the damn thing. Then I started to get really upset, and I've been pretty sad in the past, but this time was just awful. I literally did not want to do anything because of this speech. Originally, I was supposed to have this speech ready for a couple of weeks ago, but I missed that deadline. It wasn't until this Monday that I pulled my act together, considering the next meet was on Thursday (tomorrow, that is.) and now I'm really happy to say that the speech is almost completely memorized, and I only trip over my lines in a few places.

Do I think it's going to be wonderful? Absolutely not, but I feel like I've come a long way, even though I still really don't want to do this stupid thing. My dad and my forensics coach think that my speech really does have some great content, but they agree that my memorization needs work.

I just wanted to share this with someone because I feel like sometimes I don't give myself enough credit for things. I'm still not quite sure where my last minute motivation came from; maybe the fact that my Forensics grade was in jeopardy or that my parents would be supremely ****** off if I didn't get this done were what convinced me to do. I don't know; once q procrastinator, always a procrastinator, I guess.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work out some of those kinks in my memorization (I feel so responsible! (=O.)

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -nyr0c- For This Useful Post:
neewsmonth (03-22-12), pechemignonne (03-22-12)
Old 03-22-12, 09:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Success! (well, sort of..)

Once you're done delivering the speech, give yourself some time to do whatever it is that you to do to treat yourself!

Also, what methods have you been using to help you get schoolwork done?

Because "procrastinating" is what people who don't have ADHD do every once in a while when they really, really don't want to do something. For people with ADHD that's kind of our standard way of working.

So, usually what helps with schoolwork or other similar stuff is to not just have a single deadline, but several smaller (more manageable, less scary) deadlines.

You know, divide the speech into half-pages and give each a deadline for memorizing.

Also, with memorization what works best is not as much "cramming", but just repetition over time. This is because your memory stores as important things that you just read only in short-term memory. But the things that really stick in long-term memory are things that the brain has noticed that you seem to need a lot.

So, it will stay in your memory better if instead of reading it 20 times in an hour, you read it 20 times in a day, once every half-hour.

And then reciting it 20 times a day, every half-hour, would make it really, really solidly glued in your memory.

There are a lot of tricks like posting a copy in front of where you go to the bathroom or do dishes (or anything else where you can read while doing). Or even better, just posting a few key words as memory aids.

Reciting will always be better than reading, so the more you do that the better.

In any case, once that speech is given, I say that you reward yourself!! Celebrate!

Let us know how it went!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (03-22-12)
Old 03-22-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Once you're done delivering the speech, give yourself some time to do whatever it is that you to do to treat yourself!
Actually, I'm going to the movies with my mom and my little sister this weekend at the big movie theater about three hours away from my house, which means it'll be awesome! (It's the Hunger Games, if you were curious. We already bought the tickets online because we were worried it'd be sold out =P.)

Quote:
Also, what methods have you been using to help you get schoolwork done?

Because "procrastinating" is what people who don't have ADHD do every once in a while when they really, really don't want to do something. For people with ADHD that's kind of our standard way of working.
My main methods of "getting things done" is, all though I don't like to admit it, motivation through fear. I'm terrified of dissapointing my parents (or anyone, for that matter,) and I'm also deathly afraid of failure. I get so nervous when I'm not finishing the things I need to get done, so I use that nervous energy to do most of my activities at the last minute. For most things (things that aren't major projects, at least not to me,) I use my smarts to get by (such as for a test, instead of actually studying I just use what I like to call my 'common sense.')

I'll be sure to update you on how I do at my meet. There won't be a lot of people at the meet, so it's a pretty good possibility that I'll place. I'd post more here (thanks for the advice, by the way =D; Good stuff.,) but I have to go. My next class is starting.

The Following User Says Thank You to -nyr0c- For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (03-23-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-12, 02:11 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I am a class A procrastinator. In school, it wasn't because I *wanted* too... I just did... and then I'd pull an amazing paper out of thin air and absolutely drive my husband and best friend nutty. I thrived on it, actually. It was easy to do it that way. Don't freak out about it, kinda prepare and then finish it the night before while laying upside down on the couch.

That said, congrats on finding the motivation to memorize it! 5 pages is LONG! I'm impressed ^_^ and have a great time at the movies!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (03-23-12)
Old 03-23-12, 12:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Silivrentoliel; wow, thanks! I knew that deep down that I could do it, but it was still pretty hard to convince myself to try. Yeah, I do the whole last minute preparation and it drives my parents to insanity, but this is kinda how I'm used to getting major things done. I guess it's what works for me, even though I hate it...

So here's how the meet went down. In forensics, you usually have to perform your piece twice in front of a judge, and then you may or may not break into finals. In my case, I was an automatic shoe-in for finals because there were only six people in my event, and only six medals get handed out.

Anyway, for my first two rounds I was rated 1st in the round both times, with quality points above 20, which is a good thing. My second judge wrote in my critiques that I needed to be a little more conversational, rather than simply reciting the piece. During finals, I think I took his advice a little too well that while I concentrated on being more conversational, I forgot several of my lines, although I recovered alright from most of them.

At the end of the meet, I ended up with a second place medal. I wasn't incredibly proud of myself (I'm still not really,) but I feel like for my first time ever giving this speech at a meet and for really hating public speaking, I didn't do too bad. I felt even better when I read my judge's critiques; they said things like the speech was very well written and that I had a really great speaking voice. One lady even said I should be a news reporter (sounds like an awful job, but I'll take the compliment.)

I guess that's it. I don't really like to talk about my accomplishments, so I'll stop here. Honestly, I'm more proud of myself for taking on this thing then winning that silver medal.

pechemignonne (03-23-12)
Old 03-23-12, 12:39 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the second place finish! That's awesome.

I'm glad you're rewarding yourself for your work on the speech. We need those rewards for our hard work.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (03-23-12)
Old 03-23-12, 01:07 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

um- second place is AWESOME!!! Don't feel like you didn't do great, because you did- sounds like you rocked it! great job

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (03-23-12)
Old 03-23-12, 11:10 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nyr0c- View Post
Silivrentoliel; wow, thanks! I knew that deep down that I could do it, but it was still pretty hard to convince myself to try. Yeah, I do the whole last minute preparation and it drives my parents to insanity, but this is kinda how I'm used to getting major things done. I guess it's what works for me, even though I hate it...

So here's how the meet went down. In forensics, you usually have to perform your piece twice in front of a judge, and then you may or may not break into finals. In my case, I was an automatic shoe-in for finals because there were only six people in my event, and only six medals get handed out.

Anyway, for my first two rounds I was rated 1st in the round both times, with quality points above 20, which is a good thing. My second judge wrote in my critiques that I needed to be a little more conversational, rather than simply reciting the piece. During finals, I think I took his advice a little too well that while I concentrated on being more conversational, I forgot several of my lines, although I recovered alright from most of them.

At the end of the meet, I ended up with a second place medal. I wasn't incredibly proud of myself (I'm still not really,) but I feel like for my first time ever giving this speech at a meet and for really hating public speaking, I didn't do too bad. I felt even better when I read my judge's critiques; they said things like the speech was very well written and that I had a really great speaking voice. One lady even said I should be a news reporter (sounds like an awful job, but I'll take the compliment.)

I guess that's it. I don't really like to talk about my accomplishments, so I'll stop here. Honestly, I'm more proud of myself for taking on this thing then winning that silver medal.
Well, I'm proud of you, so there and you can't stop me!!

Also, I'm going to go see the Hunger Games this weekend, so no spoilers!!

I loved the books, I hope the movie doesn't disappoint.

Enjoy!! You deserve it!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 03-24-12, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks, again guys. glad to finally have something positive to say for myself.

Quote:
I loved the books, I hope the movie doesn't disappoint.
I'm worried about the exact same thing. Usually, movies based off of books don't really live up to my standards, but I still think it'll be great. Have fun!

pechemignonne (03-25-12)